all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Buteyko Breathing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gaz

Level 4 Valued Member
i have just become aware of this system of breathing that was developed in Russia and was wondering if anyone on the forum practices this? If so, do you find it beneficial and is it compatible with the Strong First system?

There are quite a few forum members that practice Advanced Buteyko (one school of Buteyko breathing) and two who teach it: Steve Freides and Al Ciampa. There is a forum on the Advanced Buteyko site you can join, as well as a free app.

If so, do you find it beneficial and is it compatible with the Strong First system?

Yes and yes!

Thanks very much Anna I have just signed up for the Advanced Buteyko site.

@Gaz I have done the Advanced Buteyko course and I´m very happy with the results, health wise.

I have found Buteyko to be compatible and complementary to Strongfirst principles. I dont think there is much overlap between the both, since Buteyko is mostly practiced in relaxed state, but they are certainly compatible. The most significant carryover I have noted from Buteyko to training is that my breathing is always nasal and significantly calmer after a set of swings, which is very good IMO. I havent tried lately the breathing technique suggested by Pavel in S&S, where he recommends only 5 breaths during rest between sets, but I think Buteyko will help achieve that more easily.

@Gaz I have done the Advanced Buteyko course and I´m very happy with the results, health wise.

I have found Buteyko to be compatible and complementary to Strongfirst principles. I dont think there is much overlap between the both, since Buteyko is mostly practiced in relaxed state, but they are certainly compatible. The most significant carryover I have noted from Buteyko to training is that my breathing is always nasal and significantly calmer after a set of swings, which is very good IMO. I havent tried lately the breathing technique suggested by Pavel in S&S, where he recommends only 5 breaths during rest between sets, but I think Buteyko will help achieve that more easily.
A quick question about the breathing technique, I understand the breaths are supposed to be light but how is light defined in terms of how many seconds you would inhale and exhale for?

A quick question about the breathing technique, I understand the breaths are supposed to be light but how is light defined in terms of how many seconds you would inhale and exhale for?
I´ll share with you how I do it, but please bear in mind that this is completely personal and other folks do it differently.

When I do "breathe light", I usually do a normal-small breath every 15 seconds. I try to focus on breathing in a relaxed manner, I search for muscle tightness all around my body and relax it, specially face muscles.

Please dont be guided by the 15 seconds, this varies a lot. When I started, it was closer to 10 seconds or less. Nowadays it may be even one breath every 20 seconds, if my CP is particularly high that day. I just adjust by feel.

That said, I understand you have read "The Oxygen Advantage", right? To be honest, I didnt like the "Breathe light to Breathe Right" exercise. I just didnt manage to do it. From that book, I kind of enjoyed the walking exercises, but I didnt get significant results with those either.

Thanks for your help guys. I will try to learn more. I think it’s the whole air hunger concept I’m struggling with, it seems contrary to all I’ve understood about
good breathing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom