all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Button down shirts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TedM

Level 6 Valued Member
After years of swimming I found that I have a problem finding Men's button down shirts that I can wear buttoned for a tie, not feel confined across the upper chest, and which don't look puffy.

Given that the physiques of members here are pretty different from the average Joe...
-》 is there a brand that anyone's found that offers a comfortable fit?
(Not limited to US mfgs).

Way back I used to take my army uniforms and whatever to the seamstress on posts and simply had them safety pinned to my shape and “taken in” on each side. Wasn’t expensive at all.

After years of swimming I found that I have a problem finding Men's button down shirts that I can wear buttoned for a tie, not feel confined across the upper chest, and which don't look puffy.

Given that the physiques of members here are pretty different from the average Joe...
-》 is there a brand that anyone's found that offers a comfortable fit?
(Not limited to US mfgs).
+1, get some made.

I've had custom shirts made by a couple of places, most recently (which isn't all that recent, but still) by Tom James.

The other suggestion I've heard is Mizzen + Main, their shirts are supposed to have a good athletic cut and are pretty durable.

I do it online (e.g. Proper Cloth).

I'm not sure where they're tailored.
I asked because I had one made in Thailand or thereabouts. It would have worked out better if I had a proper fitting. I saw the potential but that experience wasn't worth repeating.
I've heard of Proper Cloth...hmm

Last time for me was a good bit ago, semi- custom since it was only one fitting. Men's Wear Creations, they travel to many cities, you make an appointment at the hotel where they are set up. You pick your fabrics, styles etc. They measure you up, make your stuff. Next time they are in town they have your clothes, you have another fitting. I was good to go on everything except 1 sport coat. They altered that and sent it to me, Cannot remember how long this took from start to finish. Today I would most likely just go to a local shop and have them tailor what I needed.

Calvin Klein extra large but slim fit did the trick for me same as Ralph Loren, other than that lately I fit pretty well into any large size Vans.

Lately the problem is being the neck...maybe I'm turning into a turtle..who knows..

Retired now, but had mine made for years. They actually cost less than a comparable shirt off the rack at Nordstrom. I used Noble House Tailors because I needed someone who came close to me on a regular basis. Just a relief, especially if you have to do a lot of travel or work really long hours with a dress or oxford cloth shirt on. Just miserable to wear a shirt that fits badly for hours on end.

Now i mostly wear tee shirts with weapons or bands on them. And a handful of cheap, snap-button, short sleeve western shirts. Half of them with the sleeves chopped off. Got my look dialed in now heh

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom