all posts post new thread

Old Forum Buying Good Kettlebells (in the UK)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

neiljmuk

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all,  please accept my apologies if I have failed to see another post covering this topic.

My query is with respect to buying kettlebells, and being restricted to the UK market.

I'm looking to find a balance between quality and price in that I cannot afford Kettlebells from the likes of intensefitness but don't want the handle dropping off or my calluses destroying etc etc.

I know you get what you pay for but do folk from the UK know if the bells from places such as fitness-superstore are likely to be any good.

Are there any things to avoid.  Lost of Vinyl covered cast iron bells, not sure if this is because they are dodgy or not, and lots of unbranded bells on ebay...

Bodymax bells look dirt cheap but a bit wonky lol.  A bit lost, and any pointers would be great :)

Thanks in advance

Neil,

In terms of a balance between price and quality, the kettlebells  from Strength Shop are great. I have personally ordered 30+ bells from them. Good quality and great customer service.

You can can also keep an eye out for the new "black series" from Kettlebell Fever due in February.

Hope that helps.

Strength Shop looks good.  This is why I asked. Vendors that don't come up as top searches on google because they probably have good word of mouth referral..  Those bells look nice and £119.99 for a 16kg, 24kg, and 32kg is insane good pricing.  The "Out of Stock" bit is an issue but might email them.

Thank you Sam.

Any other recommendations welcome guys.  Even average to good kettlebells ought to last decades so taking a bit of time over this :)

Sam, a final query on the Strengh Shop bells. Spoke to them. May order some soon. Do you find having bought so many that the putty like coating applied to make them smooth is an issue when it come to chipping / wear and tear?

Neil,

I have had a few bells chip a little. Two because they were banging around in my car, so my fault on that point. Otherwise, it hasn't really been an issue and to be honest I think you also need to take into account the shape of the kettlebells, size of the handles, diameter between the handle and ball etc. The Strength Shop bells have a great shape and a decent size handle .

Sam

Thanks Stuart,

Thanks again Sam, I guess the chipping is cosmetic and not exactly going to hinder functionality. I'd imagine a 'putty like' coating would be thin. Even if I trashed the handles coating with a hammer it would be smoother than my current grey bumpy golds gym bell with worlds thickest handle lol.

Going to buy 16 and 24kg bells off them now I think as it's about 23 quid more with 2 lots of delivery which is just an extra £13 on bells done separate but I need a 24kg bell sharpish and won't need a 32kg for some months (and months and months lol!).

Neil,

If the 16,24,32 package is available and saves you money it could still be a viable option. You may be using 16/24 for swings, get ups etc as your main bell, but the 32 is still usable.

KB Deadlifts, Goblet Squats, Suitcase carries are some options. Not to use as your main program, but simply to get your body slowly used to that weight, whilst your work the proper progressions with the 16/24.

Some food for thought at least.

Sam.

Excellent advice thanks Sam, and I think that fully justifies getting the 32kg straight away, bu they have not got them back in for '8 weeks or so' which is the only barrier.    If course I can do a lot more with the 16kg but as Pavel said on the post from the guy who only has a 16kg, if it's becoming too light for the swings I'm not doing S&S....

Will see, I've got a week between now and buying some.  Thanks for all your advice.

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for the above recommendations; I've not heard of Strength Shop Kbs before. Can the chipping affect the handle such that it would hinder usage?

I tried searching for some info in the Kettlebell Fever Black Series, but couldn't find much details. What is it all about?

Any recommendations for some good quality kettle bells in the UK? Price isn't as big a concern as quality.

Thanks.

The black fever ones are pre release with that comp to win some. Bet they are awesome but expensive.

I should add that unwillingness to pay more is purely finamcial. I think the value of good bells speak for themselves and would never be tight for the sake of it.

One make I have spotted is Jordan Kettlebells.  These look good but the handles look large / 'tall'.    Any thoughts?

I prefer the comp bells and have a few different brands from 16kg upto 40kg. I don't use a regular supplier just the best bell I can find for the best value for money on the web. I have just bought a 40kg Jordan bell and it seems just as good as the others I have. I suspect the paint may chip a little if I ever get up to using a pair of 40s but that doesn't other me, the main thing is the handle feels ok.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom