all posts post new thread

Nutrition Caffeine and Roast Level in Coffee

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
From http://coffeebeandirect.com - these people are coffee roasters and also a source for green beans. I buy green beans from them and used to buy roasted coffee from them.

While many assume that darker roasts have the most caffeine, the opposite is actually true. Roasting coffee burns off some caffeine – the longer the roast, the less caffeinated the coffee will be.

-S-

Yes, blond or lighter roasts have higher caffeine than darker roasts. I usually prefer medium roasts purely on taste preference.

Lighter roasts will retain more of the original characteristics of the coffee. Lots of subtleties besides bean variety; like soil, and altitude, can contribute to the flavor. These get lost in darker roasts. But if you like a smoky taste then darker is better. Like a French roast for instance.

The rest of this thread was moved to a new thread entitled Aeropress in the Everything Else section.

Aeropress

-S-

I like to try different coffees and roasts. I go to a few hipster coffee bars with some high end, and pricey coffees. At a local farmers market there is a great coffee place. They brew all their gourmet coffees with the Vario V60 pourover or you can order a French press, and they have quite an extensive menus of coffees.

I am not a fan of dark roasts. Whenever I try a bitter, burnt dark roast coffee it seems like a mistake and a waste of good coffee. Like they over roasted by mistake and they just say let's call it dark roast. In the Domician Republic I went to a coffee plantation, and they roasted the coffee over a fire in a pan and ground it in a mortar and pestle. That was a memorable smokey dark roast that I really enjoyed, but it was the whole experience of making the coffee from a sun dried bean to a finished cup of coffee, with honey from right there.

@Mark Kidd I buy a really good medium roast for Kauai that I use as my everyday coffee, and they have a large selection of coffees. The Kirkland espresso coffee is good also. All Costcos are different, and they rotate products often. I do most of my shopping at Costco. I love Costco.

@offwidth They have good coffee but a bit expensive, and pretentious.

@Geoff Chafe

Agreed Costco is awesome. I just prefer medium roast and it seems most is dark. The Starbucks roast is a really good deal but the Pike Press rarely goes on sale.

Darker roasts mask the origin and, to some extent, the quality of the beans, so they make sense for a large, retail coffee place like Starbucks, not to mention the fact that the dark roasts leave more coffee flavor when diluted with various things in all the coffee-based drinks one can buy these days.

But some beans are also best when roasted dark. Our home blend includes some Sumatra, and that really likes to be dark-roasted. Espresso also tends to favor a darker roast.

-S-

I personally like lighter and medium roasts.
For all you real coffee lovers and/or snobs (like myself): try filter coffee.
I got myself a ceramic filter and a manually operated coffee mill with ceramic grinder. Every cup is hand brewed and freshly ground. and it really makes a great difference tastewise.

@Mark Kidd I buy a really good medium roast for Kauai that I use as my everyday coffee, and they have a large selection of coffees. The Kirkland espresso coffee is good also. All Costcos are different, and they rotate products often. I do most of my shopping at Costco. I love Costco.

@offwidth They have good coffee but a bit expensive, and pretentious.
I've never been to one of their stores but I've had their product served in coffee shops in Jasper. Kicking Horse out of Nelson does a nice job in my opinion

I don't mind dark or light roast, for me is more important to have a fine grind. I don't care if there's some sludge in the bottom of my cup. Coarse grind leaves me wanting more flavor, whatever the roast. Am half drip coffee and half French press through the day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom