all posts post new thread

Bodyweight calf raises...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
I would like to add some mass to my calves. Hence I started to do freestanding calf raises as per C. Waterbury: Podcast Episode #12: Dr. Chad Waterbury | StrongFirst. Where he suggests 2x100 per day. I have not done 2x100, but I can do 1x100 with no stops, and he mentions that once you can do 100 consecutive reps, it's time to do something else. So I thought about single leg calf raises as the next logical progression. Found this article, also by Waterbury: No-Weights Calf Training | T Nation. And did his test, my balance is too bad to do a good freestanding rep. But I could do 1x14 each leg with minimal support. So I though that I would try his 2-3xAMRAP every day. Moorning, afternoon and evening. And see if I notice anything interesting.
Any other suggestions?

note: This is of course on top of my regular S&S practice.

I would like to add some mass to my calves. Hence I started to do freestanding calf raises as per C. Waterbury: Podcast Episode #12: Dr. Chad Waterbury | StrongFirst. Where he suggests 2x100 per day. I have not done 2x100, but I can do 1x100 with no stops, and he mentions that once you can do 100 consecutive reps, it's time to do something else. So I thought about single leg calf raises as the next logical progression. Found this article, also by Waterbury: No-Weights Calf Training | T Nation. And did his test, my balance is too bad to do a good freestanding rep. But I could do 1x14 each leg with minimal support. So I though that I would try his 2-3xAMRAP every day. Moorning, afternoon and evening. And see if I notice anything interesting.
Any other suggestions?

note: This is of course on top of my regular S&S practice.
I assume that you are doing elevated calf raises? If not I would incorporate those.
I would also consider adding weight. Like holding a KB or DB in one or both hands as you do them.

For my warmups I do 5 minutes of jump rope every training day. I try to isolate the active leg muscles to my calves as much as possible - minimal bending at the knee.

It means I have to go a little slower but works my calves well and warms me up for work.

An elevated board plus a stand up desk makes a great GTG option all day long.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom