all posts post new thread

Calisthenic Focus

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marcus Aurelius

Level 5 Valued Member

The Reason I made a new training log : This is pretty different from anything I've done before and this log has a different goal in mind. It's a milestone for me to put the kettlebells down and start moving my body weight exclusively which I admittedly find pretty difficult. I thought I was strong because I lifted but calisthenics seems to be a whole different skill. I'm excited to become more proficient in moving my body.

Link to old log : Cultivating Discipline -- Marcus Aurelius

Program : I've lifted kettlebells for a long time but I think it's time to make a change. I've messed around with calisthenics in the past but I've never taken it very seriously. My current goals are to enlist in the United States Army and they require a decent proficiency in calisthenics. Ideally I want to build a very large base with calisthenics and then add in a little weights someday. Maybe some deadlifts, loaded carries and turkish get ups. For calisthenics I just want to master the basics maybe working up to single limb stuff but no tricks like muscle ups or flips. Throughout all of these mobility is done everyday with a good amount of walking, about 15,000 steps a day. Mostly the trifecta stretches and joint circles.

Diet : I eat three meals a day. Lot's of whole grains, protein, veggies, fruits and nuts/butters.

Goals :
  1. Achieve a better baseline of calisthenic strength before "hopefully" shipping out to basic training.
  2. Build up to where I can do one arm pushups, pistol squats, full bridge and maybe a one arm chin.
  3. Add in some weighted movements. Specifically loaded carries, turkish getups and deadlifts.

My Current Plan (I use all the Convict Conditioning's as a guide but not a Bible) :
  1. Monday
    1. Power Pushups
    2. Pushups
    3. Fingertip Pushups
    4. Grip Work
    5. Leg Raises
  2. Tuesday
    1. PullUps
    2. Squats
    3. Calves
  3. Wednesday
    1. Handstand Pushups
    2. Fingertip Pushups
    3. Grip Work
    4. Bridges
    5. Running
  4. Thursday
    1. Power Pushups
    2. Pushups
    3. Fingertip Pushups
    4. Grip work
    5. Leg Raises
  5. Friday
    1. PullUps
    2. Squats
    3. Calves
  6. Saturday
    1. Handstand Pushups
    2. Fingertip Pushups
    3. Grip Work
    4. Bridges
    5. Running
  7. Sunday
    1. Running

Last edited:
4 x 3 -- Clap Pushup
2 x 12 -- Full Pushup
3 x 5 -- Knee Fingertip Pushup
4 x 45 sec -- Bar Hang
10 min -- Getting Up and Down Off the Floor Practice
2 x 10 -- Flat Bent Leg Raise

Question for the runners out there.

How many days a week can or should someone run? Is there any downside really to running 5 days a week after strength workouts?

Last edited:
How many days a week can or should someone run?

Well, I'm really a "plodder", rather than a runner... but I think the key is just not pushing into to point where you are fighting to maintain pace. As long as you sort of coast at a pace where you aren't wiped out at the end, I think you can benefit from pretty high volume. At my best running shape, I was going 5 days a week. I do 4 now (when I'm not hurt) and it doesn't interfere with strength work.

Well, I'm really a "plodder", rather than a runner... but I think the key is just not pushing into to point where you are fighting to maintain pace. As long as you sort of coast at a pace where you aren't wiped out at the end, I think you can benefit from pretty high volume. At my best running shape, I was going 5 days a week. I do 4 now (when I'm not hurt) and it doesn't interfere with strength work.

Cool thank you.

How many days a week can or should someone run? Is there any downside really to running 5 days a week after strength workouts?

I would agree with @WhatWouldHulkDo. Once the connective tissue in the feet and lower legs has been built up, a high volume of easy running can be done without interfering with strength work. I know a certain strong German who swears by very relaxed long runs as a means of improving recovery from strength work. The key is to not let your ego run the show.

I would agree with @WhatWouldHulkDo. Once the connective tissue in the feet and lower legs has been built up, a high volume of easy running can be done without interfering with strength work. I know a certain strong German who swears by very relaxed long runs as a means of improving recovery from strength work. The key is to not let your ego run the show.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try to wave the load depending on how my joints/body feel from the increased running volume. Thank you for your response.

3 x 40 sec -- Wall Handstand
  1. I was on the brink of failing the last rep, like I was giving up as the timer went off. I even thought to myself before beginning the third set that I should keep it to 35 sec. But my ego got the best of me. This taught me an important lesson to always be realistic and honest with yourself. It's easy to think you can power through before you're actually in the position.
4 x 50 sec -- Bar Hang
3 x 45 -- Short Bridge

Last edited:
4 x 3 -- Clap Pushup
2 x 15 -- Full Pushup

1. Move up to 2 x 18 next workout
4 x 50 sec -- Bar Hang
2 x 15 -- Flat Bent Leg Raise

1. Move up to 2 x 18 next workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom