all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calisthenics as a Base

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Of course it depends on each person's background, but putting all that aside and assuming a health adult who has no injuries, and who has dabbled in a variety of things without much success to date, I usually start with S&S, specifically the goblet squat, the kettlebell deadlift, and the first stage or two of the getup - those are things I typically cover in a first session or two. I'd describe it as watching someone move and teaching the fundamental skills of squatting deep with a straight back, then how a deadlift is different than a squat, then working on the getup.

Some of what I'm explaining might be said to come from all the sources you cite: I talk about making space in all the joints, something we teach at Flexible Steel, as I teach the goblet squat. When I teach the kettlebell deadlift, I also talk about the barbell deadlift, and I've had some students progress to the barbell deadlift before the kettlebell swing when I think that's the right thing for them. And back to the goblet squat, I also discuss many of the same principles that apply to the pistol.

It all comes from the same place - one mind, any weapon. The modalities you refer to are differing implementations of the same set of principles, and therefore the choice of modality isn't important in theory, but when it comes to putting those principles into action in ways that have proven safe and effective across a wide range of populations and backgrounds, everybody should swing a kettlebell.

-S-
Awesome, thank you for the response Steve!

This quote from Pavel's Cost of Adaptation article might be of interest if you are not happy with a strength/fitness program alone:

Options That Blend Strength and Health​

Train for and compete in raw drug-free powerlifting—without attempting to max your muscle mass. It is fact that to be competitive internationally a six-footer has to be a super-heavyweight. Obviously, pushing your bodyweight to 300 is going to carry a high adaptation price sticker.

Learn the lifting basics at a one-day StrongFirst Lifter Course. Find reliable training partners and hit the platform.

Do not forget to address your other qualities, such as flexibility and endurance. Two days a week do the S&S regimen. Do some mobility and stretching almost every day. Last but not least, live an active outdoor life — hike, swim, play tennis, etc. In moderation! Running from rim to rim of the Grand Canyon is going to exact an adaptation price from your powerlifting and your health.

Study a martial art. Take classes three to five times a week. Enjoy what you learn without ambitions to become a champion or a grandmaster. Do “easy strength” type training with a barbell three times a week. Take yoga classes on the nights you do not fight. Start “tempering” with cold water. And do not forget the outdoors.

Become a student of bodyweight strength. Learn the basics of tension and linkage at a one-day StrongFirst Bodyweight Course. Master the basics. Reach the “simple” goals like the one-arm-one-leg push-up. Then set your sights a little higher, e.g. the front lever and free handstands.

Almost every day do the S&S swing regimen to give power and conditioning to your lower body and back. Do get-ups twice a week. Get serious about stretching and slowly work your way to full splits.

As with the other two options, outdoor activities are not negotiable.

On this forum we have all kinds of people who follow a similar trianing program but have very different activity levels. I can barely manage to fit in S&S 5 days a week into my couch potato lifestyle. Other people race bikes, climb mountains, fight, do manual labor etc in addition to their swings and get ups. I imagine what you do the rest of the day has a big impact in how you look at your training program.

Options That Blend Strength and Health

Train for and compete in raw drug-free powerlifting—without attempting to max your muscle mass.
Yep. I’ve been doing this since 2004.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom