all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calisthenics for cardio?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm a little unclear on this so I'm hoping someone can help me understand.

Can calisthenics be used for cardio? Like if you have a 5 or 6 exercise circuit you go through for 30 minutes? I understand heavy squats won't work for this purpose but what about easier exercise like lunges, pushups, mountain climbers, jumping jacks and the like? How would the "cardio" effect differ from Strength Aerobics?

What effect would such a workout have on cardio/heart/health?

Thanks.

Hello,

@the hansenator
Performed on a regular basis, as per the article says, it gave me some nice work capacity, similar to kettlebell swings. Nonetheless there is no power component.

Being strong helps for endurance. There are a lot of studies that claim that strength training (squats, DL) help for running economy or cycling.

I was kind of skeptical as well at the beginning. Then I gave a shot with GTG pistols, in addition to the regular routine, burpees and nasal breathing (oxygen davantage). My cardio then went through the roof in a few weeks.

In terms of pure cardio, following the SF, LSD run / MAF are the best optipns due to their sustainability and long lasting results. They also clear some lactic acid.

I found EMOM burpees worked well. 10 to 15 minutes, 10 reps, done with nasal breathing.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Can calisthenics be used for cardio? Like if you have a 5 or 6 exercise circuit you go through for 30 minutes? I understand heavy squats won't work for this purpose but what about easier exercise like lunges, pushups, mountain climbers, jumping jacks and the like? How would the "cardio" effect differ from Strength Aerobics?

I'm sure it would have beneficial effects on cardio/heart/health, it just may not be specifically targeting adaptations as much as steady state cardio where you use the same muscles continuously, like walking/running/cycling/rowing/etc.

When you can sustain a continuous effort in something for 30 minutes or more with traditional steady-state cardio, it's mostly slow-twitch oxidative muscle fiber and aerobic metabolism. If it's something harder that you can't maintain (for example, most normal people can't do push-ups for 30 minutes) then you're using fast twitch fiber which is at least partly glycolytic. That's still productive, and can have similar effects on the heart. You could do that in two ways -- If you're reducing the pace to something that isn't smoking you but moving through the circuit continuously, you may maintain your heart rate in an "aerobic" zone, but it's not purely an aerobic effort. Or, if you're doing each exercise as a brief hard effort and then actively resting between each one, maintaining the same average heart rate, it's more of an A+A type effort, though not hard and powerful enough to be what we usually call A+A. Either of these won't have exactly the same demand on the heart, because there's more tension and blood-pressure spiking going on during the hard efforts than there is during a steady-state, and there's more lactate production so not as much aerobic enzyme improvements, capillary development to the slow-twitch muscle fibers, and other aerobic adaptations. Specific to the heart, you'd have less of the left ventricle enlargement adaptation than you would from steady-state. But it's still placing demands on your heart and body that will trigger "cardio" improvements.

That's my layman's understanding and hopefully anyone more knowledgeable will step in with any corrections.

I'm a little unclear on this so I'm hoping someone can help me understand.

Thanks.
LED Locomotive Work
Running, Cycling, Rowing, Cross country Skiing...

Thanks for the replies.

I ask because I find with the streets being dark, cold, and covered in ice, I have less desire to go outside and haven't been doing much in the way of "cardio". So I'm looking for ways to keep my heart healthy.

Hello,

@the hansenator
Jumping rope can also be an interesting alternative. Plenty of drills exist so you can build a good leg agility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks for the replies.

I ask because I find with the streets being dark, cold, and covered in ice, I have less desire to go outside and haven't been doing much in the way of "cardio". So I'm looking for ways to keep my heart healthy.
I have run through winters in Illinois, Michigan, and Ontario. Not without some challenges, but with the right gear and a bit of common sense... very doable

I've tried running in cold weather before and always got sinus infections. And that was when I was 20 years younger.

Jump rope would be fun but I don't have a place to do it. The basement ceiling is too low and it would probably get hung up in the carpet.

I'm considering a gym membership over the winter but it depends on how much that would cost.

Box steps can be a reasonable, cheap cold-weather cardio alternative - find something to step up on and down from, and keep doing it. The up-and-down movement makes it slightly more tolerable than just marching in place... but that said, it's still mind-numbingly boring.

I wonder if continuous unloaded TGUs might work.

Box steps can be a reasonable, cheap cold-weather cardio alternative - find something to step up on and down from, and keep doing it. The up-and-down movement makes it slightly more tolerable than just marching in place... but that said, it's still mind-numbingly boring.

I wonder if continuous unloaded TGUs might work.
@the hansenator
Dr. Banner brings up a great alternative that I forgot to mention. Yes... of course box steps. And you can do them weighted as well. They are indeed mind-numbingly boring and soul-stealing. (So much so they are the only training that I do where I consent to listening to music)

But they are very effective....

Do an hour or so and report back...

Box steps!

I've had that in the back of my mind for a while. Due to difficulties and setbacks, my legs aren't actually that strong but maybe I'll actually begin the box steps.

Are there any guidelines to suggest in terms of frequency or programming?

Indoor stairs would also be great but I'm not aware of any that are available.

Box steps!

I've had that in the back of my mind for a while. Due to difficulties and setbacks, my legs aren't actually that strong but maybe I'll actually begin the box steps.

Indoor stairs would also be great but I'm not aware of any that are available.
'Training for the New Alpinism' and 'Training for the Uphill Athlete' both by House | Johnston have protocols.

Frequency and other programming will be somewhat dependent upon your goals.

Hello,

Sapate, as performed in the video below

However, it is possible to get a slaightly increased ROM at the end of the move to work more on the legs

Then, eve if it is a workout per se, Neuro-Mass protocol seems to work on cardio as well. Nonetheless, this is a not a running protocol or whatever but there will be some transfer to it.

2 times a week seems to be a spot, because sessions are intense
Neuro-Mass Modified: How This Intense 20 Minute Workout Is All You Need For Size, Strength & Health

A neuro set is a set inspired of SuperSlow training (45-90s to failure), wihtout lock off. This is the grind. Then, an explosive move, until technical failure (when form is not properly maintained anymore). Then an isometric

You can do that for a full body training:
upper pull: pull up (example: slow pull up - plyo - hold at the weakest point)
upper push: push up (example: archer / OA - clap push up - iso at the middle / cross)
core: example: hanging leg raises - leg raises done explosively - plank
leg (example 1: pistol, then jump squat, then iso at the middle / wall chair). (example 2: resistance band DL (because you told place is an issue), then jump, etc...)

As far as bodyweight goes, you have to pick up a variation which makes you fail within the 45-90 range for the grind.
Neuro-Mass Modified: How This Intense 20 Minute Workout Is All You Need For Size, Strength & Health

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:

I'm no cardio programming expert, but given that your objective is just something to work the ticker a little, as opposed to become a master competitive box stepper... I'd say, just focus on accumulating easy time. Don't go faster than you could hold a conversation (i.e. a continuous talk test). Start with something low and slow enough that you can do 30 continuous minutes, and not feel any soreness the next day - that's key, you don't want this to take away from your other priorities. When 30 minutes gets easy, do 40... then 50... and 60 is probably all you'd ever need.

Done in this fashion, it doesn't take away from your strength work, and you can do it any day where you have time. 3-4 days a week is probably plenty.

It won't shave a bunch of minutes of your 10k time or anything, but it'll keep your heart healthy.

Hello,

I ageee with @WhatWouldHulkDo . Slow and steady wins the race.

Nasal breathing will force you to get a slow pace you can sustain for long time without bothering your recovery or other activities.

Brian Mackenzie from Power Speed Endurance has plenty of good material in this respect.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks for the replies everyone but I think what I really need is to just man up go outside for a walk.

I walked yesterday and at about 20 minutes my knee started hurting, And I know why, it's related to my rather "interesting" medical history. Physical therapy helped me walk again without discomfort but I've found the only way to maintain it is to make sure I keep walking. It's kind of use it or lose it for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom