all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calisthenics for cardio?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
have you thought of using a mini trampoline?
I have had one for years and realy enjoyed using it.
Low impact and lots of benefits...no need to jump high just "jog" or walk. Should be okay for your knee and they are less expensive today than they have been in the past!

As long as you keep your BPM between 110 and 150 for 30-90 minutes, you're doing "cardio" right. Doesn't matter what exactly you're doing.

It's a bit more involved than this (with respect to HR and duration) but in general terms your heart doesn't care what modalities you are using to elicit a response.
I am a bit afraid of dogs running around when I do my walks...

I don't think that is correct. Your heart will adapt differently to weight training than it will to running, even if your heart rate is the same.

I can't find the study I read to back this up, but I'll keep looking and post a link
I was referring to 'like' modalities...

I may have misunderstood you then. So you're not saying an an A+A swing workout has the same affect on the heart as a gentle jog, even if the average heart rate was the same?
I don't believe it does no. Although both are beneficial. I apologize for any confusion. What I think I was referring to is more in the realm of steady state locomotive work. For instance running , cycling, rowing, x-country skiing, rucking, etc will be very similar in any given HR training zone.
One just has to look at the HR profile graph of an A+A session vs a steady state session to see the differences. (Even though as you note the average might still be the same)

The same holds true in non-steady state locomotive cardio as well. I could ride for 4hrs and I could ride for 2hrs and have the same average HR.... yet have quite different training effect because of sprints and/or hills thrown in the longer ride

Pavel discussed this at Second Wind, but it would also be fine topic for a question at Strong Endurance or All-Terrain Conditioning. He mentioned that some kinds of exercise thicken the heart muscle, generally not a good thing, while other kinds enlarge it and its pumping capacity. (Apologies if I'm misstating - anyone who was there, please correct as needed.)

-S-

I might have found the answer I was looking for. It appears that pushups are good for heart health, or maybe people with healthy hearts can do pushups. Anyway, I have a feeling this would also apply to other exercises besides just pushups.

Doing this many push-ups reduces heart disease risk by 96%
In glancing at this article I don't think that (nor do I believe that) it says that doing push-ups increases heart health (except maybe in the title); but rather that people who can do 40 consecutive push-ups appear to have good heart health.

Pavel discussed this at Second Wind, but it would also be fine topic for a question at Strong Endurance or All-Terrain Conditioning. He mentioned that some kinds of exercise thicken the heart muscle, generally not a good thing, while other kinds enlarge it and its pumping capacity. (Apologies if I'm misstating - anyone who was there, please correct as needed.)

-S-
Wasn't there, but Kenneth Jay explains exactly this in great detail in "The Cardio Code".

In glancing at this article I don't think that (nor do I believe that) it says that doing push-ups increases heart health (except maybe in the title); but rather that people who can do 40 consecutive push-ups appear to have good heart health.
Well, raising your heart rate and and not sitting will likely improve heart health, compared to a completely sedentary life. Sadly, general activity levels are really low in the US and other industrialized nations. Even low levels of short bouts will improve various health markers:

Sustained and Shorter Bouts of Physical Activity are Related to Cardiovascular Health

Hello,

I enjoy doing long sets of push ups with slow and control nasal breathing. This means I do not have a fixed number of breathing per move. This approach is quite feeling base. It makes a set of push ups almost a breathing exercise. It drastically reduces the "unnecessary" tension.

I noticed the same doing bodyweight squats, pull ups, and also leg raises.

Doing this, it makes the HR easily controlled and very even all along the sets.

Russian Systema also has a similar approach.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom