all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calisthenics in S&S format?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Anyone consider plyometric jumps as a substitution for kettlebell swings? It's a very similar movement.
If memory serves, this exercise had been effectively considered very worth considering, indeed.

The required "pace" had to be MAF pace.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, broad jumps and high jumps are good alternatives!
And def MAF pace.
Keep in mind that jumps of this kind are to be performed with maximal power output. So keep your reps on the lower and and rest accordingly.
If you are looking for a BW alternative that you can use for the "burn" I would go for burpees.

Hello,

+1 for the burpee.

A proper burpee also works core and whole upper body. Be careful to maintain a perfectly straight position and get back your feet on a flat position (not on the toes)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Another test after the 2nd month: pull ups stacked at 10, squats increased to 35, push ups decreased from 20 to 15 idk why...

Barely joined these forums, but... KB swings are safer than any kind of jumps on the body, especially for overweight people, right??
I rollerskate and my knees and ankles have seen better days, so I'm a fan of low impact / medium intensity cardio.
Browsing the web about that is how I came across KB swings and Pavel material.

Hello,

Barely joined these forums, but... KB swings are safer than any kind of jumps on the body, especially for overweight people, right??
To a certain extent, yes. Jumps can often be taxing on the long run, above all for the knees.

However, every move has its danger. Swings can tax the back for instance.

This is why listening to the body signals is so important. Pain is a powerful ally to know what to do...or not...or not anymore

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,
What is your protocol ?
Kind regards,
Pet'
Pull ups 2x a week, ladders, total volume about 20; push ups 2x a week a few sets, no more than 10 reps per set, total volume about 40, squats 1x a week 3 sets of 10-20 reps.

Hello,

@John Kowalski
Pull ups 2x a week, ladders, total volume about 20; push ups 2x a week a few sets, no more than 10 reps per set, total volume about 40
Maybe this comes from weekly volume.

For instance, if your total weekly pull up volume is 40, it gives an average of 8 pull ups a days (I consider WE as rest days). Of course, everyone is different. Maybe this volume is too low for you to progress. If you recover well, maybe you can go for a 3 sessions a weeks.

Same logic for push ups. Related to their test and "disappointing" result, lots of factors can play a role: were you rested at this time ? did you run another test shortly before ? etc...

When I ran a bodyweight only routine, to get a S&S format), I used a 3X a week training (pull up / push up / inverted row / dip / pistol / dragon flag. Volume was higher and I got relatively good results (meaning I progressed for all moves in terms of maximum repetitions).

Kind regards,

Pet'

@John Kowalski what is your goal? If it's to increase reps then I really would urge you to consider running the 50 pistol squat programme that I posted a link to a few posts back on this thread. While it is pistol specific, Eric Moss says in the article that you can use it for any exercise you want to add loads of reps too.

2x a week, about 30-50 reps per session
So this is from earlier in the thread, if sometimes you were totalling 50 reps and then now
total volume about 40
Could it be decreased volume? Just an idea.

Other than that, strength and ability fluctuates from day to day, even if we feel great. Maybe you just hit an off day for you test? As @pet' mentioned lots of things can be a reason.

You increased squats and maintained pullups...so overall still good!

50 pistol squat programme that I posted a link to a few posts back on this thread. While it is pistol specific, Eric Moss says in the article that you can use it for any exercise you want to add loads of reps too.

I have considered trying this for pushups! Still thinking.

Hello,

@D-Rock
It can be pretty good challenge, but be careful on the volume. This is more or less the same logic than FPP. As soon as you feel tired or sore, you may take a break.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yeah, @pet' is right, which is why I'd advise not just following the weekly template outlined in the article blindly, but if you need to, repeat a week (or even a day) if you're not yet ready to add reps, or maybe adjust how many days off you want to take when the volume builds up... Make it your own, while keeping the goal the goal.

Note how Eric mentions how the plan is literally a PTTP! wave cycle which adjusts volume rather than weight, well you could turn it into more of a step or linear cycle depending on how you feel as you progress.

I have to draw back anyway because of my elbows pain. It doesn't hurt when I workout, but throughout the day... any tips on dealing with the pain?

Hello,

@John Kowalski
I have to draw back anyway because of my elbows pain. It doesn't hurt when I workout, but throughout the day... any tips on dealing with the pain?
For what move do you feel pain ? Do you stretch ?

First, I'd see a physio to be sure there is no issue, and also to be sure this move will not worsen the current situation. An FMS instructor would also be worth considering.

Otherwise, maybe reducing a bit ROM can be an idea. Then, you may increase ROM (it would be the time for you to reinforce joints)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom