all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calisthenics... Pick 3

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I guess my focus right now is re-mastering my bodyweight.

An admirable goal. Whatever you do choose to do, pull ups/chin-ups are pretty much essential. I would definitely recommend one-legged squats (pistol/skater), dips and pull ups as your go-to exercises, although it's a tough call between dips and advanced push-up variations (one arm push-ups etc.) as the latter involve, arguably, more core strength than dips, although you should get a decent amount of ab work if you're performing your pull ups in the hollow position.

Limiting yourself to three movements is a great idea for streamlining your exercise planning and maintaining focus and eficiency in your training but, at the same time, don't be afraid to mix it up a bit and alternate between different exercises if you feel it would be beneficial.

Please do keep us updated on your progress; I look forward to seeing how you get on!

@305pelusa: I do not have a logbook here but may start one up when I begin my next cycle. I am on the last week of the 4 week long cycle and will be restarting after a week break (have some obligations next week and my lower legs need some rest from running).
When/if you do, quote my name so I get a notification for it and realize where it is.

Rock on broski.

My 3+3 list:

Higher reps for health:

- Face the wall squats (arms to the side or above the head)
- Hindu pushups
- Gymnastic bridges

Low reps for strength:

- one-arm pushups
- pistols
- pullups

As taught in our excellent SFB Bodyweight curriculum.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Would you consider the following as a "good program" ?

Monday: "Higher reps for health"
Tuesday: "Low reps for strength"
Wednesday: rest / variety / breathing
Thursday: "Low reps for strength"
Friday: "Higher reps for health"
Saturday: rest / variety / breathing
Sunday: rest / variety / breathing

Assuming we are after :
> endurance / strength-endurance
> maximal strength
> recovery (with proper flexibility & mobility & breathing patterns), and a session does not last more than 50 - 60 minutes

Then it would be close to the "Total weekly package" using only bodyweight

Kind regards,

Pet'

My comment disappeared somehow.

Why not. And why not to do some of these higher rep drills as a part of "morning recharge", as the old-timers, and as Pavel recommends in Super-Joints.

Maybe this is a bit offtopic but I started incorporating the trifecta from CC2 into my daily routine.
It is used as a stretching routine:

1a: Back bridge hold: 20 sec total
1b: L-sits: 20 sec total
1c: Side twists: 20 sec total per side

If you cannot do the full moves yet, use progressions

Hello,

+1 for the trifecta
Once L-Sit becomes easy, trying to go to the V-Sit is also pretty interesting actually. It works the lower back flexibility "the other way" than the bridge, while still working on the abs.

A split and a deep squat for hip openining and that's it :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I also do the Trifecta on and off, but I usually leave the L-Sit out... so it's a Difecta, I guess. I get the most benefit from the Bridges and Twist holds, anyway. To decompress the spine it's better to just hang from a Pull-up bar IMO, or even better upside down. L-Sit is great for ab strength, but as a "mobility" exercise ---meh. You're probably better off doing Karnapidasana (knees to ears) or even Child's Pose.

Hello,

Related to the "Pick 3"...I'd pick 7 (3 strength and 4 flexibility)

I assume these moves are doable anywhere anytime, with very little space.
Strength => OAOL PU - Pistols - Janda
Flexibility => twist - bridge - V-Sit + deep squat

Of course, related to strength, we can go "cardio" and "high reps" using easier variations (standard push ups / squats, sit ups, Hindu push ups / squats, even burpees.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I understand the program to look like?....

A: Conditioning Day (Run > circuit of Push-ups, sit-ups, mountain climbers)
B: Strength Day: (???)
A:
B:

If you're already doing pushups and mountain climbers, I don't know if more pressing is the answer for strength day. Pull-ups are antagonistic though. I remember someone important responding to a question of what to do on Mondays with, "legs"; and tuesday?, "more legs". In that spirit, one can't go wrong working on pistols. Lastly, I think jumping is underrated. Low reps with lots of recovery, jumps make me feel athletic and a master of my body. Long story short:
  1. Pull-Ups or inverted rows
  2. Pistols or similar
  3. Squat Jump, Box Jump, Broad Jump, etc.
Or outside the box and do yoga on your strength day instead to improve your body awareness and control and improve hormones from conditioning day and everything else stressful in life.

Hello,

I tend to agree with @Kozushi Most of the presses moves can be tough for the shoulders if there is lot of volume or lot of weight. To a certain extent, I think pression is the key for this kind of move. Progressively increasing either the weight or the number of sets, while managing lot of recovery.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I tend to agree with @Kozushi Most of the presses moves can be tough for the shoulders if there is lot of volume or lot of weight. To a certain extent, I think pression is the key for this kind of move. Progressively increasing either the weight or the number of sets, while managing lot of recovery.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Yes, I'm a very strong guy in a lot of ways but I find dips a bit extreme for my shoulders. If you can do them safely, then they have to be one of the very best presses you can do, but if not, yikes!

I asked Al Kavadlo about it one day and he said something like how you could do only three bar moves: 1. dips 2. pullups or chinups and 3. leg raises on the pullup bar, and you're exercising your entire upper body and then some. Throw in some bodyweight squats, and you've got everything covered with minimal equipment!

Hello,

1. dips 2. pullups or chinups and 3. leg raises on the pullup bar, and you're exercising your entire upper body and then some. Throw in some bodyweight squats, and you've got everything covered with minimal equipment!
Yes, that is true. This is a pretty well balanced choice:
- a simple yet efficient push pull to avoid physical imbalance in arms and shoulders
- core with leg rises
- leg and core with squats

Then, this is all about the programming (reps / sets / rests) and the variation difficulty.

For instance, I currently run the "Bodyweight Bear", with the bulking information, as described in PttP. Then I use OAOL PU + Pistol + HLR / Janda's sit ups, with 10 sets of 3, with 30s rest between sets. Despite these "heavy" variations, it manages to work on cardio and maximal strength at the same time, while keeping me fresh and injury free. I realy feel stronger that way and can train everywhere.

It seems that stronger built people are likely to have shoulder issues when they are into pull ups and dips programming.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Using rings for dips and pullups makes the moves more difficult yet safer for the shoulders.

I would agree 100% that doing dips on rings is more difficult.
My personal experience is that doing pull-ups on rings is 'easier'. And undoubtedly gentler on both shoulders and elbows.

Hello,

Doing dips on rings is a way harder because it works wrist and shoulder stabilization. We always have to control the move to be sure the rings do not go sideways (which could lead to shoulder dislocation). Plus, shoulders and forearms have to work harder to compensate the vibration we generate while we are moving.

However, a proper ring grip is required. Wrist hyperextension is dangerous on the long run.

On the otherside, ring pull up ar better for joints because those ones can find their "natural angle" and rotate more or less as they need.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Doing dips on rings is a way harder because it works wrist and shoulder stabilization. We always have to control the move to be sure the rings do not go sideways (which could lead to shoulder dislocation). Plus, shoulders and forearms have to work harder to compensate the vibration we generate while we are moving.

However, a proper ring grip is required. Wrist hyperextension is dangerous on the long run.

On the otherside, ring pull up ar better for joints because those ones can find their "natural angle" and rotate more or less as they need.

Kind regards,

Pet'

If you want to make them a little easier, try hanging the rings from a chin-up bar or something closer to the ground: The closer the anchor point is to the rings, the easier it is to maintain stability. I hang my rings from a doorway chin-up bar and it's challenging enough without there being any significant risk of dislocating my shoulders (I'm more at risk of banging my head on the bar but that's not actually happened yet).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom