all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calisthenics without equipment is more than enough for making strength and hypertrophy gains forever, according to my logic...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think calisthenics are often skipped over by people because they're honestly very difficult and magnify areas of weakness.
And there are millions of variations to choose from if you want to work in the pure strength or hypertrophy rep range.

An under the table pull up/australian pull up isn't too difficult for anyone.

A wall push up isn't difficult for anyone.

No matter how strong or weak they are.

Thats the way I look at it. I respect your opinion though.

Best comment I have read so far. This is a very valid advice because we do know that lifting weights that are up to 30 rep max, till failure, for sure causes equal hypertrophy as 8 rep max weights taken to failure.

Of course, as you are gaining reps, each rep is getting lighter, which means you are getting stronger, so long as you are at maintenance or surplus in case of calisthenics only training
f*** me, I was drunk never mind people. I was drunk on absolute btw. Replying to me own comment F*S.

The
I don't get the logic behind making up a scenario for a lean 300lbs calisthenics athlete given that there have been mutants out there who rep out with +200kg in the bench press and +300kg squats/deadlift while taking a bunch of drugs and trying to get as muscular as possible without getting there themselves.

It's a bit like saying that KBs are all you could ever need for strength and size because one could do stuff like +25 rep presses, pistol squats and pull ups with Beasts.
The logic being, with the current covid situation( that we still haven't fixed so far, so lockdowns are to be expected for as long as we continue to live on), or for people who don't have the money to afford a gym membership where they live.......

The idea of proper strength training without spending anything for equipments should never escape the scope of their consideration.

It doesnt exist because you have the option of adding weight to the bar.

Even Pavel Tsatsouline has a slow twitch hypertrophy protocol for us to follow. You know, the guy who values low rep work over everything else? The victor sulianov slow twitch hypertrophy protocol put on over 25 percent on the max lifts of late intermediate trainees who would later go on to become elite powerlifters, IN A MATTER OF 8 WEEKS.

So doing work in that rep range certainly does have strength benefits.

The barbell programs from the US didnt factor that in because the option of adding weight was always available.

However in the soviet union, a country far more advanced in terms of sports science, did recognize the value of light weight work for promoting strength and hypertrophy using barbells. That was the Sulianov slow twitch protocol in the flesh.

So, in other words, no disrespect but, one of the most celebrated barbell strength programs, aka the sulianov slow twitch protocol, uses 30+ rep max weights. So I must say, sir, that I cant fully agree with your statement.

There is a big difference between including higher rep blocks of training and a steady diet of it.

Am not arguing that a pure calisthenics approach cannot be used, but that it would be willfully inefficient to use it as an only approach. I would go further and say that sticking to any one mode in the face of training limitations is no different, this is not an observation limited to calisthenics. Means to an end.

Hello,

There is a big difference between including higher rep blocks of training and a steady diet of it.
+1
I have noticed several times that doing a block of 1 or 2 weeks of high rep training can be excellent as a "plateau buster". Another alternative which also works - but to a lesser extent as far as I am concerned - is to introduced a high rep set of a specific exercise at the end of a session. For example, a set of push ups, quite close to failure can be interesting to increase the press motion. Aleks Salkin (SFG2) mentioned this and it works quite well.

However, only usin high rep may be counterproductive at some point. We often mention guys like H. Walker or inmates as example of high rep calisthenic athletes. Even if it may lead to good results in terms of body composition and strength, wouldn't it be even better with a "standard" low rep training (which transfers well to endurance anyway). Plus, high rep training with very low variation may lead to overuse injury.

Again, as @North Coast Miller wisely said, using blocks probably is the best option to reap the best of both worlds.

Then, we also have to consider the technique issue. It is possible to get insanely strong using calisthenics. It is the case for gymnasts for example. There will be a natural transfer to other physical activities as soon as one own a technique.

Kind regards,

Pet'

-S-

Pull-ups and dips with extra weight are the best you can do. You can also add sprints to this. There is a program called HIRT for hypertrophy. Likewise, every 10 minutes you do a 30-50m sprint and rest for 2 minutes and then a ladder of dips and pull-ups 2,3,5 or 3,5,7 and repeat this 5 times.

T
Pull-ups and dips with extra weight are the best you can do. You can also add sprints to this. There is a program called HIRT for hypertrophy. Likewise, every 10 minutes you do a 30-50m sprint and rest for 2 minutes and then a ladder of dips and pull-ups 2,3,5 or 3,5,7 and repeat this 5 times.
Thanks for the answer. This is pretty much what I do except I wont add weight to pull ups unless I can do one arm pull ups, at which point all I have to do is hang a sandbag from the non working arm.

For dips, I have to high stool ladders in me home, I dip between them, pronated hand position. I fashioned a seatbelt strap tie in a loop around my shoulder and traps which hangs like a necklace, from which hangs travel bags loaded with sand.

Free upperbody strength training for life without any gym being needed. Dips are admittedly superior to any other upperbody pressing movement and the neglected muscles can be benefitted from isolation work quite easily.

Other than that, I do pistols, good morning and isolation exercises for upper leg muscles.

T

Thanks for the answer. This is pretty much what I do except I wont add weight to pull ups unless I can do one arm pull ups, at which point all I have to do is hang a sandbag from the non working arm.

For dips, I have to high stool ladders in me home, I dip between them, pronated hand position. I fashioned a seatbelt strap tie in a loop around my shoulder and traps which hangs like a necklace, from which hangs travel bags loaded with sand.

Free upperbody strength training for life without any gym being needed. Dips are admittedly superior to any other upperbody pressing movement and the neglected muscles can be benefitted from isolation work quite easily.

Other than that, I do pistols, good morning and isolation exercises for upper leg muscles.
What do you do to cover the hinge?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom