all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Calories Burned in S+S Workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chuck

First Post
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere on the forum, but I didn't see it.

Does anyone have a close estimate of how many calories are expended in the prescribed Simple and Sinister workout. Just started tracking inputs and outputs and would love a reliable number.

Thanks!

Chuck,

What does calorie expenditure during a session say about where those calories came from (among other things)?

IMO a reliable number is not possible.
Although I can give you some numbers from my HR monitor:
~15min of swings -> 200-250cal
~20min -> 250-300cal
~25min -> 300-350cal
~30min -> 350-400cal
My data on TGUs (done in under 10mins + I've only tracked 3 sessions) shows 125-175cal.
Add another 50cal for the warm-up.
So a total session can range from 425-625cal, depending on length and intensity.
Keep in mind that the HR monitors are far from being precise.
If I were you, I'd just log a session as 300cal and be done with it.

I don't track at all but would guess that for most people/circumstances those calories would be coming from already existing blood sugar and glycogen conversion. Later, for hours perhaps longer, would vary depending on if and what and how much you eat.

I use a Polar M400/H7 and at the end of a session it guesstimates calories burned - something like "525 calories, 37% from fat". Not sure how it calculates that number. I have my doubts.

I think it's going to depend on how fasted the person is? Either stored energy or non-stored energy.

FYI, my heart rate monitor usually told me somewhere in the low 300's. It's going to depend on the person's fitness levels and the effort they put into that session.

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like a rough guess would be around 300 calories. Appreciate the help!

@jrosto - I read your reply. That's a really motivating story and those are the sort of things I've heard that make me think there is something to tracking calories and macros.

@aciampa - Your question is a good one. I don't know where the calories come from for any given workout. My thought is if I can track my intake calories from food over a period of time and take a stab at my caloric expenditures through exercise then I can think broadly about the relationship between energy in and energy out for my current life circumstances.

Thanks again!

@jrosto - Good to see you over here. I "know" you from the MDA forum (and your success thread there), and you may have seen me post there as well. Very inspiring stuff.

Sorry to get off topic all. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom