all posts post new thread

Nutrition Calories

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Im 180lb, 5 11 and i have around 2500 cals a day about 150p 200c 90f roughly

Ive got to a point where im happy with fat loss but would like a little more muscle

I know you have to eat more to gain more but im just wondering if and by how much you up the calories by when wanting to add some size and strength whilst staying as lean as possible?

My lunch every week day is chicken and peas splash of olive oil and a apple, im thinking of just adding some rice to it to take a extra 250cals

Last edited:
If I remember correctly in Purposeful Primitive Marty Gallagher recommends for bulking to aim at gaining about 1lbs/0.5kg per week. That's about 400-500kcal per day or 3500kcal per week above maintenance.

I know you have to eat more to gain more but im just wondering if and by how much you up the calories by when wanting to add some size and strength whilst staying as lean as possible?

Caloric Increase

Drs Layne Norton and John Ivy's, independent of each other, research came to the same conclusion when it come to gaining or losing weight...

The 20% Calorie Rule

Their research determined that gaining or losing weight was best accomplished by...

1) Increasing your calorie intake approximately 20% for gaining weight.

This increase was shown to maximize an increase in muscle mass and minimize the amount of body fat gained.

or

2) Decreasing your calorie intake for losing weight.

This decrease was shown to maximize an increase in body fat gain and minimize the amount of muscle mass loss.

"The General Adaptation Syndrome"

This mean the body will eventually adapt something new; be it diet or training.

When adaptation occurs, progress stops.

In this case it means, at some point the body will adapt to an increase calories and stop gaining weight or adapt to a decrease caries and stop losing weight.

That means you Metabolic Rate will adjust/adapt to an increase or decrease intake of calories.

The solution is...

Calorie Rotation

Bodybuilder have used this method for decades with Bulking and Cutting.

MATADOR Weight Loss Study

This study reinforces the anecdotal data on the Bodybuilder's Bulking and Cutting Method.

The research found that the body adapts to a decrease in calorie intake in approximately two weeks. The same is true with an increase in calorie intake.

This research determined by Rotating Calorie every two weeks (decreasing and increasing them) allowed the body to maximize fat loss while maintaining muscle mass.

Adjusting Your Metabolic Rate

This weight loss method found...

1) Decreasing your calories for two week increased weight loss, as you'd expect.

However, after approximately two week the body adapted and weight loss stopped.

The key to ensuring progress was to then...

2) Increase you calorie intake slightly for two weeks.

Doing so, increased you Metabolic Rate.

Some weight gainfoccurred during the increase in calorie intake.

However, that weight gain and more was lost, when you shifted back a calorie deficit for two weeks.

Gaining Weight

The same principle applies to gaining weight.

The Difference Between The Two

With both methods, you first preform a...

Three Day Recall

1) Add your calories up for three days

2) Divide ty three

This will provide you with your Maintenance Calorie Level. That means your weight isn't going up or down.

For Weight Loss

Decrease you calorie intake from you Daily Maintenance Calories for Two Weeks.

Then slightly increase them for Two Weeks.

Alternate calorie up and down every Two Weeks.

For Weight Gain

For gaining weight...
Increase you calorie intake from you Daily Maintenance Calories for Two Weeks.

Then slightly increase them for Two Weeks.

Alternate calorie up and down every Two Weeks.

Doing The Math

1) Increased Calore Intake for Two Weeks

Based on your 2500 calorie per day...

2500 X 20% = 500 calorie increase.

2500 + 500 = 3.000 calories for two weeks.

2) Decreased Calorie Intake For Two Weeks

A slight decreased of 10% (going from 300 0 down to around 2700 calories) for top two weeks will readjust your Metabolic Rate.

3) On the second week of your Increased Calorie Rotation, bump up you calories 20% more than your 2700 Calorie Deficit.

That would mean consuming around 3240 calories per day.

Progressive Resistance Strength Training

As with Progressive Strength Resistance Training, what you want to do is progressively increase it.

This is the foundation of Strength Periodization Training Program that is based on The General Adaptation Syndrome.

Slow but sure wins the race.

Last edited:
Im 180lb, 5 11 and i have around 2500 cals a day about 150p 200c 90f roughly

Ive got to a point where im happy with fat loss but would like a little more muscle

My lunch every week day is chicken and peas splash of olive oil and a apple, im thinking of just adding some rice to it to take a extra 250cals
I would increase protein by 20-30 grams, decrease carbs by 100 grams, and increase sat. fat ( from healthy animals ) by 30 grams.

Do you keep a food log? I started as I was curious after switching from a low carb diet. I was very surprised at how much I was actually eating once I began tracking.

Do you keep a food log? I started as I was curious after switching from a low carb diet. I was very surprised at how much I was actually eating once I began tracking.
I do yeah, well Monday to Friday anyway as i pretty much eat the same thing while at work only thing that changes is my evening dinner.

I actually find it hard to eat enough food, i have a big breakfast and then small meal or snacks throughout the day, i prefer to eat little and offen

Im happy with my food choices as it fits in with my work, driving alot etc

What i was getting at really is, is it nesasary to eat above maintenance to gain strength and muscle? And can a small increase work
500cals a day seems lile a lot to increase by, i dont even know how i would get that in ha

Do you work a sedentary job? I know you have children and are probably active with them.
2500 calories a day should provide enough for a lean, muscular physique. Adaptations and muscle.building take some time.
I would also ask if your current program is maximizing hypertrophy. Not to get bogged into too many details, but hypertrophy is a result of intensity and volume. Is the volume high enough with the correct intensity?

Do you work a sedentary job? I know you have children and are probably active with them.
2500 calories a day should provide enough for a lean, muscular physique. Adaptations and muscle.building take some time.
I would also ask if your current program is maximizing hypertrophy. Not to get bogged into too many details, but hypertrophy is a result of intensity and volume. Is the volume high enough with the correct intensity?
No probably not at the moment ive just been 'getting it done' in the mornings 3 x a week
But want to start kettlebell strong and then dry fighting weight so thinking i might need the extra calories to maximise strength

I do have quite a sedentary job, most days i only get 3/4k steps!
Even on days were certain jobs require me to be out of the van i rarely reach 10k steps

I could swap my oats out for eggs and bacon that would straight away loose 90g carbs and up my fats and protein
Excellent idea. And below is a link for another easy way to increase quality sat. fat. Very good with eggs FYI.

FYI duck fat, excellent source of vit. K2.

Last edited:
I had very good luck using 4 protein spikes, about 4 hours apart and 40gr per.

Many of the strategies Kenny outlined seem to work. I was able to push my weight up about 1/2 per week for 2-3 weeks and then dial it back a bit for a week or two, repeat.

I'm def a lo-fat proponent. Cal surplus that is mostly carbs is not liable to increase body fat in an exercising individual, but you will burn a little less fat for maintenance. I was able to extend the number of weeks I could eat at large surplus without accumulating any appreciable bodyfat. At no point did I feel a need to "cut", only to give my digestive system a breather.

Last year (between Sept'18 and Sept'19 I put on 20lbs without letting my belt out even a single hole.

IDK about bulk and cut, but lean bulk and hold in steps worked far better than I would have believed.

@Gary Wilson - I have had success eating my body weight in protein per day and then filling out the Rest of my diet with fruits and veggies and whatever carbs I want. For me that’s 200g protein (4 x50g roughly), and I usually don’t eat high carbs (200g+). If you’re looking for muscle gain tho I would make small changes, and the first would be more protein. (The second would be looking at your training.)

If you don’t like measuring, try eating 4 times a day and having a fist sized of an unprocessed meat protein (eg not salami, think tuna or chicken) and a fist sized portion of veggies and/or fruit. Rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc can be added as you want/need, but if you really need “help” eating enough shakes are easy and convenient.... as are peanut butter sandwiches... ?

I do yeah, well Monday to Friday anyway as i pretty much eat the same thing while at work only thing that changes is my evening dinner.

I actually find it hard to eat enough food, i have a big breakfast and then small meal or snacks throughout the day, i prefer to eat little and offen

Im happy with my food choices as it fits in with my work, driving alot etc

What i was getting at really is, is it nesasary to eat above maintenance to gain strength and muscle? And can a small increase work
500cals a day seems lile a lot to increase by, i dont even know how i would get that in ha
From #'s in your first post 150,200, 90, = 2100 calls, adjustments I suggested, 180,100,120 = 2200, with the small amount of info from post #1 figured it was a good place to start. If you wanted to see how your body reacts to different macro-nutrients, purchase a Continuous Glucose Monitor and wear for 2-4 weeks. To answer your question, small increases and decreases can work, and you don't need to stuff yourself to gain strength and muscle.

@Gary Wilson ... I would make small changes, and the first would be more protein. (The second would be looking at your training.)

Definitely your training approach dictates how much and how rapidly you can gain muscle, this is the demand and diet is the supply.

Excess calories in absence of increased demand will just lead to fat gain. I mention this in virtually every thread about putting on muscle - DeLorme method or something very similar. Not necessarily SF approved, but it can be used with fewer than 10rep sets, attested to by the good Doctor himself.

I'd just have a bowl of custard with a couple bananas in it. Chuck some coconut in it too if you want. Post training that is, not for breakfast.
Don't be afraid of a short sharp insulin spike, as insulin and mtor are like peas in a pod.
You want energy to be driven into muscle, yes? That's one way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom