all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Calve training for the heart

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Let's put a twist on this discussion. What strength and/or kettlebell exercise, that _isn't_ a calf raise or similar, do you find works the calf muscles best? I'll hold my own opinion back for a bit.

-S-

Personally I’d go with hill sprints... they work the calves (and everything else in the propulsive chain) quite well. And provide numerous benefits that are likely much more correlated with health than calf size

Calves got sore when I was messing with the 24kg kettlebell mile and on my Q&D substitute, which was dbl 32 farmers for 60 yards in around 16-17 seconds x 10, every 3:00.

Let's put a twist on this discussion. What strength and/or kettlebell exercise, that _isn't_ a calf raise or similar, do you find works the calf muscles best? I'll hold my own opinion back for a bit.

-S-

Any loaded carry with serious weight. Maybe as the best, or the worst, the yoke carry with its inherent instability. But then again, it may prove precarious at times. And even if I typically prefer the suitcase carry for the extra ab work, using both hands is likely better for the calves.

It's the not-briefly that I think hits at least my calf muscles in a way I'm noticing.

-S-

As would be the case with bicycling, too. Calves produce force for many hours on end, but each contraction is not super strong. Slow-twitch. Calves have a lot of slow-twitch fiber, especially soleus.

On the opposite end of the muscle fiber spectrum would be a very brief, very strong contraction as with Olympic Lifting. Fast-twitch fiber. Gastrocmenius has a lot of fast-twitch fiber.

From the above article by Lyle McDonald:

1605878595892.png

Last edited:
Loaded carries on uneven terrain seem to hit my calves quite a bit.
Yes, I'll agree with this one, too - it's a good reason to do things like trail hiking, which I almost never do, rather than walking on streets and sidewalks, which I do every day. In places where there is a grass strip between the sidewalk and the street, I sometimes try to walk on that.

-S-

-S-
TGUs I feel force me to root myself at every stage of the movement

-S-

Anything that involves triple extension and getting up on my toes.

With a barbell, heavy snatch grip high pulls from the hang tended to make my calves explode.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom