all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can an alternating barbell and kettlebell routine grow muscle mass and train general athleticism?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If we're comparing kettlebells and barbells, it's a bit of an apples and oranges argument. What kind of strength chain development you get with 1h swings can you mimic with a barbell? I'd think nothing at all. A kettlebell swing is a really weird specific movement. It's perfectly unique to the kettlebell. And, how do you do a TGU with a barbell? I know a friend who is an accomplished barbeller who can deadlift over 600lbs but can't do a TGU with a 32kg bell.

It's like comparing gymanstics and barbells. I really don't know what we're comparing. Is the Olympic Weightlifter stronger? He's stronger at his lifts, but can he do the iron cross and all that crazy stuff on the rings, or flip over himself in the air 100 times in a minute like in the Tumbling event?

Who is lifting more weight? The barbeller. However, if we're talking about what tool is better for exercising with, either can win depending on what it is you're wanting to accomplish. Sure, the kettlebell is lighter, but then again we're moving it all all kinds of weird ways you pretty much can't with a barbell. Sometimes you're as strong as your strongest link and sometimes you're only as strong as your weakest link.

I believe that a heavy barbell lifter could still benefit from S&S for example. It would fill in some weak links of his.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom