all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Can I ask about Bulletproof Abs here?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ericr

Level 1 Valued Member
I have Bulletproof Abs and Hardstyle...

I don't wish to do Hardstyle Abs because I dislike leg-raises. I can't practice the power-breathing because I have a hernia.

In Bulletproof Abs I can't do anything like power-breathing. Can I still practice the other exercises and get good results?

Thanks alot

@Ericr, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Of course, ask whatever you like. I will respond in more detail when I’m home and have both books in front of me.

-S-

Thank you Sir!

· I have a hernia so I can't do the power breathing or any active tensing of my abs. It scares me and I'm sure my hernia will become worse if I do.
· I am always moving around so I would like to avoid apparatus like a barbell. Is it okay to practice the bodyweight exercises only, forever more?
· Can I do the Swiss Ball crunches on a chair? Are Roman Chair situps good enough?
· I want to take my ab strength to the next level. Any initial advice? I am not a complete beginner because I can do quite a few jackknife pushups etc.
· Other ab programs move ahead so slowly so I want to start my 'bulletproof' program. I want to train whenever my abs can take it.

I think of anymore points for now!

P.S.
I have been through my Dragondoor journey buying Naked Warrior and many others. I was around when Convict Conditioning was first released. Thanks for the warm welcome Steve!

Have you been cleared by your healthcare provider to do any of the ab exercises first of all?

· I have a hernia so I can't do the power breathing or any active tensing of my abs. It scares me and I'm sure my hernia will become worse if I do.
That you're scared doesn't mean you're following a sound course of action. I do not currently have a hernia, but I do have a congenital weakness in that area* and I have found strength training helps me, and not doing it can be what brings on pain.

* My grandfather, my father, me, and both of my sons all had double inguinal hernias.

Let's start with that. What kind of hernia? Repaired or not? What do you doctor's say about your condition?

If you want my opinion based on what you've said so far, you should have an SFG familiar with all of Pavel's ab books working with you, and in consultation with your doctor.

-S-

I have an umbilical hernia and a hernia just above it. It's not repaired. I haven't visited the doc.

Thanks

If it would put your mind at ease, I'd meet up with your physio/rehab doctor and ask for a list of movements you can/cannot do then we can go from there

If it would put your mind at ease, I'd meet up with your physio/rehab doctor and ask for a list of movements you can/cannot do then we can go from there
Thank you for your advice!

I can do some of the exercises effectively and I pretty much know which of them I should avoid.

Just a question or two more- do you have to get into all the exercises in Bulletproof Abs or can you keep just a few (the ones I feel are safe)? In Super Joints for eg. you can pick and choose in the active stretching chapter... sometimes it applies but does it in the case of Bulletproof Abs?

If you watched the vid or read the book, it's mentioned that the hardstyle situps/sit back would be your bare bones minimum when you're pressed for time..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom