all posts post new thread

Forum Business Can I Bookmark the Newest Post in a Thread?

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi @Steve Freides : Is it possible to bookmark a thread in a way that it always goes to either the last post or the last read post? Maybe with some kind of suffix to the URL? (For example with an anchor like #lastpost)

I have bookmarked my training log in my browser and would like to go directly to the last entry.

@Bauer, a good question.

The bookmark functionality we have isn't native to our forum software, XenForo. It's an add-on we purchased called, unsurprisingly, Bookmarks. The short answer to your question is, "No."

The longer answer, including two possible work-arounds for you, is below:

1. When you bookmark something, it remembers the specific post, not just the thread, so if you position yourself on your most recent post and create a bookmark, you'll be at that post. This is something of a work-around for you - you could update your bookmarks daily or perhaps once a week, and be on or at least close to the end of your training log thread.

NB: Each bookmark also has a feature where you create a note about it, and you can later edit that note, but there doesn't seem to be any way to touch the URL itself.

2. See the screen shot - if you click on what you see on the right, where it says "28 minutes ago," you will get taken to the most recent post in the thread. This is another workaround for you.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 7.00.38 AM.png

You could even use this one by saving an email with this URL:

Code:
https://www.strongfirst.com/community/forums/TrainingLogsMembersOnly/

Then finding your log thread and clicking on that "28 minutes ago" will get you where you can to go. You can't _bookmark_ a link to the section of the forum, but you can save the URL anywhere, including as a bookmark in your _browser_, and then click on it there to go to the forum and to this section.

NB #2: We have planned to change to a more recent version of the XenForo forum software sometime fairly soon - I don't have an exact date but I believe we've targeted the summer. When that happens, everything will be potentially different, and all of our add-ons will necessarily get updated. So all of this may work the same come August, or we may have to revisit the subject then.

-S-

@Bauer, a good question.

The bookmark functionality we have isn't native to our forum software, XenForo. It's an add-on we purchased called, unsurprisingly, Bookmarks. The short answer to your question is, "No."

The longer answer, including two possible work-arounds for you, is below:

1. When you bookmark something, it remembers the specific post, not just the thread, so if you position yourself on your most recent post and create a bookmark, you'll be at that post. This is something of a work-around for you - you could update your bookmarks daily or perhaps once a week, and be on or at least close to the end of your training log thread.

NB: Each bookmark also has a feature where you create a note about it, and you can later edit that note, but there doesn't seem to be any way to touch the URL itself.

2. See the screen shot - if you click on what you see on the right, where it says "28 minutes ago," you will get taken to the most recent post in the thread. This is another workaround for you.

View attachment 8107

You could even use this one by saving an email with this URL:

Code:
https://www.strongfirst.com/community/forums/TrainingLogsMembersOnly/

Then finding your log thread and clicking on that "28 minutes ago" will get you where you can to go. You can't _bookmark_ a link to the section of the forum, but you can save the URL anywhere, including as a bookmark in your _browser_, and then click on it there to go to the forum and to this section.

NB #2: We have planned to change to a more recent version of the XenForo forum software sometime fairly soon - I don't have an exact date but I believe we've targeted the summer. When that happens, everything will be potentially different, and all of our add-ons will necessarily get updated. So all of this may work the same come August, or we may have to revisit the subject then.

-S-

Thank you Steve for your answer. For now I will stick to workaround 1 and just update my bookmark in firefox whenever I reach a new page.

It's interesting that for example "< Prev" is not a relative link (like "actual page minus 1") but appears to be a permalink to the previous page. Thanks anyway :)

The problem is the pending upgrade to the current version of XF - since that's going to happen shortly, we can't justify time or money to change anything about the current setup.

I will pass your request along to our developer and we'll see if it's something we can accommodate when we investigate add-ons after we upgrade.

That is, I'm afraid, the best I can do right now.

-S-

The problem is the pending upgrade to the current version of XF - since that's going to happen shortly, we can't justify time or money to change anything about the current setup.

I will pass your request along to our developer and we'll see if it's something we can accommodate when we investigate add-ons after we upgrade.

That is, I'm afraid, the best I can do right now.

-S-

I appreciate your efforts, Steve.

@Steve Freides : I think I found the solution!

You can add
/unread
to a thread URL and it will either jump there - or to the last post if you've read them all.

For example:
Code:
https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/repeat-until-strong.5805/unread
-->
Repeat Until Strong.

@Bauer, that sounds good, but have you been able to change or edit the actual URL saved as the bookmark? That's the part I couldn't figure out how to do.

That "unread" thing is something XF does well - it tracks by username and therefore works across any and all devices. I find it very handy.

-S-

@Bauer, that sounds good, but have you been able to change or edit the actual URL saved as the bookmark? That's the part I couldn't figure out how to do.

That "unread" thing is something XF does well - it tracks by username and therefore works across any and all devices. I find it very handy.

-S-
In firefox: Yes (I simply edited the URL in my bookmark bar). In the forum itself: No.

But that's fine with me - I can now jump to my last log entry and take it from there.

The feature is indeed very handy.

Ah, it's your browser bookmark. Yes, that seems to be the way to go here.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom