all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Can I work too much in one session?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AdamS.cz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi, so I'd like to ask you guys this question. Is it possible to work too much of a different stuff in one session?

I will write as told in "before you ask for training advice.."

• I'm not suffering from any injuries, nor do I have any problems with my body when it comes to flexibility and mobility.
  • I'm doing kickbox and training for competitions. I've had one in Sanda this weekend, so right now I'm in an off mode, easier trainings.
  • I have 24yrs, 192cm, 93kg, 16-18% bodyfat. My long term goal is to lose bodyfat for better performance, but keep the weight almost same. Of course I would like to go up in PR's...
Ok so now to the important part. I work three times a week, all day 8:00-23:00. So in these days it's not possible for me to train, sometimes I go swimming before work If I feel good, but its just a light training, nothing crazy and demanding.

In my off days, I have kickbox training at evening 1,5 hour long. It consist of a warmup - usually running, shadow boxing, some burpees, jumping rope.. things like this. Than technique, sparring and some conditioning at the end.
Well what I'm doing right now, is going hour earlier to the gym. Warm up on getups, pushups, goblets and pullups. Then I train Deadlifts + 1arm KB benchpress mixed with some leg-raises and russian full contact twist. I try to take it easy with long rests, focusing on speed, but I do use lets say submaximal weights. I try to make it 10-15min before Kickboxing starts, so I have a time to recover a bit. Drink some water, maybe some juice or bcaa's.. After kicboxing I go for 10mins of longcycle clean and jerk, as posted on strongfirst. So my training is over 3hours long. When I get home I do some stretching and fast and loose drills.

Right now my body takes it. But I'm not sure if it isn't too much. On my work days I focus on eating good food (I'm a chef), I don't stress or anything, I'm a happy person :D. So I'm good with nutrition and recovery.

It might be possible for me to go training at noon, do my deadlifts etc, maybe also 10min of LCCJ, have few hours rest and than kickboxing. Thing is sometimes I have to deal with things, go visit someone or something, you know have a life.. So easier is for me to do that crazy 3hour routine.. :D
So what I'm asking is, how should I ideally proceed with this routine? Is it too much?
I don't want to destroy myself with weights and then couldn't compete in sport. (even though I love weightlifting..) Uff, exhaustinig description of my life :D. Hope you can help me shed some light on this. I thank you for your advices in advance.

Last edited:
"Can I work too much in one session?" "Sure you can work to much in one session!" "When everything is a priority, than nothing is a priority." Your exercise choices are not that bad, and would fit into an "Easy strength" approach.

So, you want: loose bodyfat while weighing the same, and set PR's, meaning getting stronger. A good guideline for you, in my opinion, are minimalistic, proven programs. Stick to them and track your progress in a training log.
You have quite some things to handle with your work, your martial arts, social live...
Recommendations are "Power to the people" and especially "Simple and Sinister", I think @Pavel Macek likes to rotate between both programs after quite some time

Preparing an MMA Fighter - StrongFirst

When you stick to such a program consistently, you will get exactly what you want.

Yes actually it's build around Dan John's and Pavel's expertise. Easy strength approach is the right guess, that's how I do it. Mainly I am wondering if it's too much during one session - that 3 hour training combining everything. And then have around 36hours rest before next training. I mean I'm on the legs all day at work, but it's nothing demanding.

If your goal is to drop a bit of fat and your current regime allows for good recovery and you feel fine, how about just tweaking your diet a bit?

@AdamS.cz, the most training you can do and still recover is good, but it's a fine line, and it's better to err on the side of caution. If your training is going well, carry on with it. If, OTOH, you're feeling like maybe you're doing too much, cut back a little, or take a few days off/easy before resuming your prior schedule.

-S-

Thank you for all the responses.
Herald: diet is ok, fat is going down, that's not my question. I was just stating my goals etc, according to welcome part of forum. Thanks for the links though.

What I am still wondering is, and what is still my question is, that if it can be too much for the body. I mean what happens to the muscles when I am doing long cycle clean and jerk, according to just give me 10 minutes and i will make you a man: the ultimate kettlebell exercise for the standup fighter - StrongFirst after that strength and kickboxing training. One of our trainers told me, that it destroy muscles, no point to do it. But you know how it is with myths. So anyone know about some science of this? Might be helpful to others also I think.

@AdamS.cz, it's like everything else, the devil is in the details. You must find the right kind of "stress" to your system so that it grows in positive ways in response. Too much isn't good, and too little isn't good, and even the "correct" amount won't always be correct, so it's important to understand the principles and apply them to your own training to the best of your ability.

-S-

My experience with coaching combat athletes: Most of them tend to overtrain, especially when the fight night is getting closer. Don't.

Ok thank you guys. I will keep track of my progress and let you know in some time how it worked for me. I will be on alert about overtraining Pavel.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom