all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Can Ibuki can lead to heart disease?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rúben Sousa

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey, guys.
Iam currently practicing ibuki and nogare breathing while training with kettlebells.
But somehow I fell that this type of Power breathing (that I love to do), weakens my heart.
I was searching on the internet and I found that some karate practitioners stop doing Ibuki because of that. Some believe that this practice could lead in serious heart disease.

The thing is... could this just an period of adaptation of my heart or something else?

I do NOT have hypertension. Not any health problems. Iam 25 years old on my prime.

I know that there is no substitute to medical advice, but it would be super helpful, if you could share some insight doing power breathing both in kettlebells and martial arts. Maybe some karatekas around there, ehehehehe.

Kind regards

If you are healthy and learned the techniques from a good Sensei, all good - however, I would still give you 2 recommendations:

- ask your doc, especially the cardiologist, just to make sure. A buddy of mine, Chinese martial arts practitioner, just died of a heart attack at the age of 33.
- StrongFirst Second Winde special course.

Risk factors for heart disease in no particular order:

Hypertension
Diabetes
Family history
Male gender
Obesity

The cause of cardiac death among young athletes is most commonly related to congenital conditions: bicuspid aortic valve and hypertrophy cardiomyopathy. I may be ignorant, but I don't see how breathing exercises can cause heart disease.

Last edited:
I practice karate kyokushin and have been practicing Goju Ryu karate before, both schools with this kind of breathing. I never found anybody with this problem.
By the way, how do you feel that your heart is weak?
My former Goju Ryu master, shihan Yosuke Yamashita, who is in his mid eighties, recommends practicing sanchin no Kata and tensho three times daily.

Last edited:
I practice karate kyokushin and have been practicing Goju Ryu karate before, both schools with this kind of breathing. I never found anybody with this problem.
My former Goju Ryu master, shihan Yosuke Yamashita, who is in his mid eighties, recommends practicing sanchin no Kata and tensho three times daily.
Hummmm, probably the problem is here. I was practicing more than 10 times per day. Way more...

I start to lose a LOT of internal pressure, the capacity to hardly exhale, and then comes some heart pain.
It is very strange, because after that I can't exhale loudly. Even for days. And I hate it.
I don't if this could be signs of overtrainning (iam also going heavy with kettlebells), but I don't want to develop some heart disease out of nothing.

Kind regards, and thanks for the support.

Risk factors for heart disease in no particular order:

Elevated blood lipids
Blood Lipid Panel Readings

Elevated blood lipids are not necessarily a risk facotor for heart disease.

One of the main issues is that the majority of individual as well as some physicians do not know how to interpret a Blood Lipid Panel.

Individual Panel Numbers

The issue is that the majority of individual look at each number individually.

Some individual number are relevant other are not.

1) Total Cholesterol Number

You're stand alone Total Cholesterol Number is meaningless.

The importance of your Total Cholesterol Number is in determining your "Remnant Cholesterol Number"; which is important.

2) LDL

This stand along number is another meainingless number.

What's important is determining your Partical A or B LDL.

Particle Size

a) Particle A LDL is good.

b) Particle B LDL is bad.

Determining which Particle Size you are highest in, is the key to determine if you LDL Number is good or bad.

Medical Test can determine that. However, very few individuals know that; very few physician tell you about it.

However, determing your HDL:Triglyceride Ratio will provide you with good feedback on if you are in the good or bad zone.

3) HDL

This standa alone number is an important, relevent number.

4) Triglycerides

This is another stand alone number that is important.

Summary

1) Elevated Cholesterol may or may not be a health issue.

2) Very few individuals and some physicians don't know how to interpret Blood Profile Numbers.

3) HDL:Triglyceride Ratio and Remnant Cholesterol Numbers provide better understanding of you cardiovascular health.

Several posts on StrongFirst have going into this...

Baldness, Early Gray Hair May Be Indicator of Heart Disease

After adjusting for age and other cardiovascular risk factors, male pattern baldness showed a 5.6 times greater risk of coronary artery disease. Premature graying was associated with a 5.3 times greater risk.

Male pattern baldness and premature graying were the strongest predictors of coronary artery disease in young Indian men. Obesity followed, which was associated with a 4.1 times greater risk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom