all posts post new thread

Barbell Can someone explain power cycles kettlebells and deadlifts part II

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bluemanslim

Level 1 Valued Member
i recently read pavels beyond bodybuilding and he displays a power cycle my question was do power cycles build or display strength and what is the difference between power cycles and peaking ? And thank you

Power cycles develop acceleration. It takes up to 30sec to engage all muscle. Unfortunately, some muscle is already fatigued by that point so one wouldn't get maximum muscle use at the same instant in time.

Cats can jump so high because they are able to engage all their muscle almost instantaneously. A power cycle is helping to engage the muscles faster so more new muscle is engaging before the already engaged muscle starts to fatigue.

Hypertrophy: make new stars
Strength: make new stars brighter
Power: make new bright stars aligned

So in kettlebells and deadlifts part II is a power cycle does that mean it doesnt build strength just power i dont get it

It takes up to 30sec to engage all muscle.

Source?

This does not make sense. What reference did you get this from?

A power cycle is helping to engage the muscles faster so more new muscle is engaging before the already engaged muscle starts to fatigue.

Confusing Statement

This is confusing.

The Size Principle

There is a muscle firing sequence with all movements, including strength and power.

1) Type I, Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber are engaged first

2) Type IIa, Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are the second group of muscle fiber to fire.

3) Type IIb/x "Super" Fast Muscle Fiber are the last group to become engaged.

Explosive Movement Muscle Fiber Innervation

The Muscle Fiber Firing Sequence does not change with power movements.

Here how it works...

Car Example

1) Type I: 4 cylinder car

2) Type IIa: 6 cylinder car

3) Type IIb/x: 8 cylinder fuel injected car

Car Race Example

Type I Muscle Fiber are given a head start. Then Type IIa are allowed to go. And finally Type IIb/x are allowed to go.

Type IIa quickly over takes Type I, passing them.

Type IIb/x then quickly over take Type IIa.

Kenny Croxdale

So in kettlebells and deadlifts part II is a power cycle does that mean it doesnt build strength just power i dont get it

It Depends

...on how you write and preform a training program.

Strength Movement: The Deadlift falls more into a Strength Training Movement.

Power can be developed to some extent by performing explosive Deadlifts with between 48 to 62% of your 1 Repetition Max for single repetitions. However, not to the same extent as some true "Power Exercises".

Olympic Power Output Measurement Comparisons

Power Output with a 1 Repetition Max Deadlift has been measured at ...
12 watts per kilo of body weight.

Power Out in Olympic Pulls have been measured at up to...
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

Research (Dr John Garhammer) found that when dropping the training poundage down to lower Deadlifts percentages/pounages, outputs for Olympic pulls were still almost twice as great; greater Power Output was developed with Olympic Movements.

Kettlebell Swing Output Measurements

Research (Dr Bret Contreras) found that Heavy Kettlebell Swing (loads or around 50 to 100% of body weight) produce Power Outputs that rival Olympic Movements.

Trap Bar Jump Squat have also been found to produce Power Outputs that rival Olympic Movement.

However, Heavy Kettlebell Swing emulates and carries over more to the Deadlift that Trap Bar Jumps Squat.

Conjugate Training

This means training two different types of Strength in the same Training Cycle.

In this case that means, having a Deadlift Strength Training Day during the week and having a Heavy Kettlebell Swing "Power Training Day" on another day in the week.

The end result is...

The Synergistic Effect of Conjugate Training

That means adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.

1) Power Training increases your Limit Strength, 1 Repetition Max.

2) Limit Strength Training increase your Power Output in a movement.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
This does not make sense. What reference did you get this from?
I think it may have been Andy Galpin discussing how bears muscle tissue uses leverage within the tissue and how cats can engage muscle faster which are different than humans. Also how a true max lift can take a long time because not all muscle engages at the same time. What you state with the different fiber types sounds similar. Do the fibers that engage first also fatigue first?

Do the fibers that engage first also fatigue first?

No.

Type I Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber that engage first (The Size Principle) are the last to fatigue.

The Rate of Fatigue Chart
The Size Principle - Athletic Lab

"The small units don’t produce much force, they are slow to act, and they are resistant to fatigue. The larger units produce a lot of force, they react quickly, but they are easily fatigued."

size-principle-chart.jpg

C
Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom