all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Can someone help me do one arm pull up?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey guys, first time in here, nice to meet you:)

@nyet7: I wanted to react to your post because we share a dream: One armed pull-ups;)...or A one armed pull-up.
Won't give you any concrete advice trainingwise, but I tend to agree with SimonP: It would take TREMENDOUS patience and consistency, I guess. I also consider it a move that's not given to everybody, unless you are especially gifted genetically or/and knowledgable methodicologically (@JPetersen,:D damn getting there by one-arm-pushups?!). For me that means: I get there, with a high probability, never. To put my view in perspective: Couldn't do one pull-up naturally, had to work up to 7-10 in the gym from age 14. Now I'm 39. Didn't exercise my pull-up explicitly for years, but also never stopped and bouldered some. Never lost ONE strict pull-up, but right now I'm at 5-6 strict chin-ups again, starting from 2 in January, strictly Greasing the Groove;)IF I get there, I guess it will be ... maybe 6 years from now, just to mention my intuitive time-table... damn thats long:eek::rolleyes:
What I actually WOULD recommend to you is to do some research about what it takes, to do that stuff, so that you get a different sense of the big picture and where you stand -> to avoid, to expect that much from you and get frustrated or/and injured. Climbing or gymnastics for me were and are very good reference areas. Check out some interviews or articles e.g. with Christopher Sommer, former US- Gymnastics national coach ... #connectivetissuestronglyrecommended!;)
Example: Consider Adam Ondra, arguably the best sports-climber in there world (at least difficulty-wise). If I watch training-videos I'm not sure if he can do a one-arm-pull-up, but he does CRAZY things hanging on his fingertips (I mean: Hanging from and pulling on the fingertips is pretty much a climbers job when the difficulty gets crazy, right?)...an he is a real workhorse in regard to training. Then look at Jan Hoyer, former european boulder champion: Not such a workhorse, but crazily strong ... pull-up-power-wise a FREAK, if you ask me. And watch him do OAPs: Doesn't look easy, does it?... and those guys are pro's! ... in climbing, but also in pulling themselves somewhere up...

Ok, I'm out. Hang out and pull up nyet7... maybe we get this done;)

.... and another post regarding climbing and grip.

I only climb or boulder from time to time, but what I consider the most gratifying skill you acquire with climbing is your grip. I'd say climbing starts exactly, where strongfirst starts: With your grip and your abs. You get stronger overall, and (at least me) feel much stronger and better overall, because you are getting stronger to hold onto things and not having to let got as fast if you don't want to (sounds kind of deep, doesn't it;)). Now having a theoretical explanation in irradiation to that notion of mine makes me even more feel like describes above.
Climbing without grip is like standing or walking without feet and calves ... can't do it, doesn't happen. Our two physical tools/antennas to get in touch with the world. So first grip it, then pull it. Popeye it is (Was Popeye russian?)!:rolleyes:

@Johann
Welcome to the community here.

Once you have the technique and footwork sorted out (which is never ending), then grip is certainly the most important physical attribute for climbing at advanced grades.

But then again we also have a saying about climbing...

'It's not about holding on... it's about letting go...'

Again welcome...

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread, only just saw this.

I like the chat about the applications of this move to climbing. As someone who has done a bit of bouldering, I think pull-up strength in general, and definitely a one arm chin would help. Even though you shouldn't be using all brute strength when climbing, having the strength there would obviously make your life easier!

But, a single armed one? No. Pointless, near impossible, and DANGEROUS! I've temporarily lamed myself because of this stupid, ridiculous, pointless move.

Kozushi I have to admit you sound a little bitter towards this feat of strength due to being injured trying to get there. I'm sure Pavel said somewhere that "it's your fault!" - too much too soon. I suspect you were injured attempting a one arm chin progression that you simply were not ready for. That doesn't mean you should dismiss it altogether.

I have a tender left wrist which I think is a result of throwing left hooks on a heavy bag without paying proper attention to wrist/knuckle alignment. This makes Turkish get-ups with the 32kg a bit painful for me at the moment, so I'm avoiding them for now. This doesn't mean that I now hate TGUs though.

For any aspect of training one needs to take into account their strength level (and be honest with themself about this), other activities they take part in, and a plethora of other individual circumstances before setting out to achieve any goal.

I hope you're healing up nicely though @Kozushi , and wish you the best if you ever decide to chase after the one arm chin again. :)

I like the chat about the applications of this move to climbing. As someone who has done a bit of bouldering, I think pull-up strength in general, and definitely a one arm chin would help. Even though you shouldn't be using all brute strength when climbing, having the strength there would obviously make your life easier!

I remain unconvinced...
If one is climbing at the very cutting edge of the sport then maybe a one arm pull up has some applicability. Probably well over 95% of the worlds rock climbs or boulder problems do not require this skill.
The average climber, even the above average ones benefit more from other training. Technique, footwork, and movement training will pay far greater dividends. If one really wants to train strength, then working on finger strength will be far more beneficial.

That being said... everything else being equal... one arm chin? Why not.

That being said... everything else being equal... one arm chin? Why not.

Yeah, this. :) I consider it a bit like fitness/conditioning in boxing. Being fit in and of itself won't help you win fights if you don't have the skill there as well. All else being equal though, the fitter boxer will probably win.

Hello,

I spent lots of time "mastering" the OAC. I was proud to finally got it the first time because it was a long term goal. However, beyond the "feat of strength" it represents - at least for me - I do not think there are lots of real world applications. Why not some climbing - even if I am not really convinced - or an extra raw strength access in gymanistics ? But...still not very convinced.

Indeed, there are plenty of other and safer ways to work the core and anti-twist. Related to arms / shoulders / back / lats strength, this is the same idea. Maybe some weighted pull up / chin up are safer on the long run, above all if we cut off a part of the ROM (basically, avoiding the dead hang position).

Nonetheless, the pros & cons of this move can come from the same aspect: this is a terrific move to reinforce joints and tendons. And this can be useful in everyday life.

Plus, most of the time, this is a move only relatively light folks can do. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. But in general, weighted chins can be more than enough to build plenty of strength.

A guy who weighs 65kg and pass an OAC can lift 65kg per arm. However, a guy of 100kg probably will not be able to do an OAC, but he certainly will be able to do a chin up with 1/2 bdw added (really reasonnable). Then he lifts a total of 150kg...so 75 per arm. So it appears to be a little stronger in terms of "raw strength".

Moreover, OAC remains a pretty technical move. Al Kavadlo and some others generally tells that hitting between 4 or 5 reps with about 75% of bdw added is enough in terms of raw strength. I relatively easily got there. However, I stucked for some time due to lack of technique

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom