all posts post new thread

Barbell Can someone point me to a deadlift thread on Sumo v Conventional?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Benedictine Monk, all DL styles are worth learning and worth training at some point. We teach narrow sumo in large part because it mimics our kettlebell swing stance; this lets people with a kettlebell background learn the barbell more easily.

There are notable differences. IMHO, sumo is more technical, more likely to "go or not go" on a heavy lift, while conventional allows you to "muscle through" a sticking point. Sumo is more focused on legs and hip while conventional uses more back and hips.

And I'm sure we could add to that list.

-S-
While some other forums offer excellent tutorials (e.g. starting strength) for various lifts, they get stuck on presenting one "correct" way to perform them. Appreciate the balanced approach toward the DL on SF. With that said, I am currently experimenting with conventional approach for early sets and sumo for heaviest lifts - my back seems to like that better so far. The main thing for sumo, to me, is not the shortened lift range, but more the closer bar location to hips, and less shear on lower back.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom