all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Can we talk finances?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Also, for "toiletries" do you include razor blades? If so, you can save a ridiculous amount of money by using an old-style safety razor. Blades can usually be purchased around 20-25 cents each. I use an old Gillette that I found in an antique store for less than 10 dollars. Here's a link to an example of the style of razor I'm talking about:
Super-84

Totally with you on this one. I was so annoyed by the ridiculous cost and the amount of trash todays shaving solutions, that I have switched to this solution.

The shaver cost me 35€ and the a pack of 10 blades is 2,90€. That is what I have spent two years ago when purchasing it. I don't shave often and am now using blade #9 ...

Another plus of using this kind of blades is, that no matter how remote you travel you always find them.

When the beard gets too long, I trim it beforehand with an electric trimmer for 20€ that runs on rechargeable and replaceable (not a built-in one!) batteries.

Thrift stores can be an amazing source of clothing/furniture/supplies that are in good shape. Americans like to buy things and then give up on them quickly. I find nearly unused items all the time.
I found a new $300 Hugo Boss sport coat with the tags still on it for $8 once. My size too!

I have a Feather straight razor. The blades are similarly inexpensive but come with a learning curve. On the other hand, it can attack any length of beard if you like to let it grow some of the time.

Thrift stores can be an amazing source of clothing/furniture/supplies that are in good shape. Americans like to buy things and then give up on them quickly. I find nearly unused items all the time.
Yes - my wife loves to shop at used clothing stores, and she finds most of my dress clothing, the stuff I wear when I play in church and synagogue, in these stores. A plus is that many of these stores support charities, e.g., my wife's local favorite is Goodwill store.

-S-

About the rabbit... 300$/month? Yikes! You can buy 10 rabbits/month from me for that sum... But I understand it's a pet and you want to take care of it. Rabbit pellets is a bit of a myth. Rabbits do very well on just hay and oats. You can get free hay from anyone that has a lawn.

Duolingo? It's a language app? You can learn a lot of languages for free on youtube, or with free apps, or just going to the library and borrow a book for kids in the foreign language section, or listen to podcast in different languages . Or maybe listen to an audio book you've already read in another language. Harry Potter in German or something.
( I speak Swedish, English, Sign Language, some French and a little Japanese..)

You can save a lot on food by going "vegan by day". Rice and lentils, potato soup with kidney beans, hummus on homemade bread, oat meal for breakfast instead of store bought bread and then just eat your "normal food" for dinner.

Eat the rabbit.
Sorry Jak. Sounded funnier in my head.

Possible a delete would have been more appropriate?

Its ok though i forgive

Last edited by a moderator:
You can save a lot on food by going "vegan by day". Rice and lentils, potato soup with kidney beans, hummus on homemade bread, oat meal for breakfast instead of store bought bread and then just eat your "normal food" for dinner.

When I've been in cheap-eats mode, I also add eggs (around $6 for five dozen where I live), and beef or pork chorizo (around $1 per tube). Use a third of a tube and 4-5 eggs, add a side, and you've got a filling meal for almost nothing. Downsides are cholesterol (if you have a condition where you need to restrict it) and the nitrates/nitrites that come with the cheaper stuff. YMMV

Update 3/31/19

Relinquished my rabbit to the SD House Rabbit Society. So that is no longer an expense.

Switched to a prepaid trac phone flip phone at about $15 / month. Cancelled my other service but still use the smartphone device for apps and internet when i have Wi-Fi.

Cancelled the gym membership but will probably get a new one when i arrive to Vegas.

Cancelled duolingo.

Cancelles storage locker.

Cancelleed po box

Good work. Now you have some breathing room in the budget and can take some positive steps. What would you like to accomplish?

Good work. Now you have some breathing room in the budget and can take some positive steps. What would you like to accomplish?

In a weird spot, taking a bus to Vegas on 4/2 to move there. Quit my job as a BLS emt in san diego less than a week ago.

My first goal there is to find a temp. place to stay, get ANY job in Vegas, then i will find a stable place where I can live for 6+ months, then re-enter the EMS industry as an EMT in Vegas.

That is what i want to accomplish.

I'm going to look into free housing options (a shelter or similar) when I arrive, and get on food stamps for the interim. After working at a job for a month or 2 i will be able to get a place of my own in Vegas.

2 things i will buy as soon as i get there: cheap gym membership and a bus pass.

ps: thank you Anna, it was your comment in particular that sparked a change in my mindset regarding the pet rabbit.

Alright, keep us posted, and Good Luck!! And don't sell yourself short -- I think you should contact EMS right away when you get there -- they might be desperate to hire you right away. You never know until you ask.

When I was working at the Red Cross as a phlebotomist, I was making $14.50 an hour...this is with minimum wage in my area being $7.50. Maybe look into local blood or plasma banks and see if they are hiring.

+1 To what @Anna C says: Don‘t sell yourself short!

Talk to someone right away. Why wait?

Hard move leaving the rabbit. Growing up with pets for 20 years, I know how hard this is ... Well done! Move forward!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom