all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can/will GTG turn into GPP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RussF

Level 4 Valued Member
Basically where I work depending on the shift I have the opportunity to do something like 100 swings (continuous) every half hour for most of my 8hr shift (this can vary depending on workload but for the sake of the argument). I had decided to work on pullups and doing them to GTG (every hour to do 2-4 pullups) and keep my body fresh.

My question is.

When does or can the workload become more than GTG?

The way I am picturing GTG is to keep yourself fresh throughout the day and you have enough rest between sets that you are "fresh" each time you do it. Would/could choosing a workload in such a way satisfy both GTG and GPP (I use this term as in muscle strengthening and building aerobic/anaerobic capacity) requirements such that I get the benefit of both?

I find when I have to do graveyard shifts my normal workouts suffer and I am hoping doing something like this will help me get through the 4 week stints until I back to normal shifts (we rotate every 4 weeks and usually have 2-3 months between graveyard shifts).

@RussF, GPP is a general term for what could be considered a wide range of physical attributes. The overall high volume that one can work up to using GTG will certainly make you stronger. It won't do some things, e.g., it won't do what Q&D work or swings/snatches would do for you.

GTG is a strength training plan. GPP isn't something one necessarily needs, e.g., while I get the idea, I generally train and couple of strength lifts and I walk. Does that combination improved my GPP, my General Physical Preparedness? I think it does. My point is that GPP isn't necessarily something you need to target.

If you did 2-4 pullups and a single set of 25 swings, you might have a solid combination for yourself.

-S-

Steve:

Thanks for the advice.

Currently on my 4th round of
25 swings (2 handed 28kg) - (forgot my 20kg or 24kg KB for single handed work)
4-5 pullups
15 push ups

Doing this at least every hour and maybe on the half hour on some of them

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom