all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can you decouple swings and TGUs in S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi.

A quick question. Can you do swings and TGUs in separate sessions when doing S&S. Like swings in the mornings and TGUs in the evening or something similar?

All replies appreciated. Thanks.

Hi.

A quick question. Can you do swings and TGUs in separate sessions when doing S&S. Like swings in the mornings and TGUs in the evening or something similar?

All replies appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, that works well. Makes recovery better snd TGUs easier.

I got the idea from Geoff Neupert's Strength Shortcuts booklet.

Warmup wise I usually do at least the Goblet Squats and Bridges before Swings, sometimes also Halos. Before TGUs I do Halos, some Crawling, or other OS resets like rolling.

Warmup wise I usually do at least the Goblet Squats and Bridges before Swings, sometimes also Halos. Before TGUs I do Halos, some Crawling, or other OS resets like rolling.
+1

Fully agree with Bauer. I had been doing splitting this morning/evening for two weeks and recovery got better.

@Abraiz just one thing to note. If you’d be going for testing yourself in the timed standards, probably some standard sessions would help you ‘peak’, and if you’re past timeless simple then you want that ‘smoking friday’ timed Session with lighter bell unbroken.

I have done it this way a few times. Talk about laser focus and after each session it really doesnt feel like you did anything, but you did. Really feels like a recharge this way

Hello,

Can you do swings and TGUs in separate sessions when doing S&S. Like swings in the mornings and TGUs in the evening or something similar?
Of course you can. The important thing is quality. So this is always better to train fresh.

Kind regards,

Pet'

There are a few benefits to being able to do swings and TGU separately:
(1) I find it easy to spontaneously haul a kettlebell outside and do swings. Doing the TGU outside brings up all sorts of logistical issues that I’d not rather deal with. Some people do TGU outside but I’d rather not.
(2) With TGU’s, a low ceiling is a problem, but this is not a problem with swings.
(3) With swings, you only need a stable floor/ground in the single spot where you stand, whereas with the TGU, you need stability in a much bigger area as your arms and legs use different places of support.
(4) I find that because a swing can be over in a moment but that doing a TGU is a commitment, I don’t do TGU’s in places where the chances of abrupt interruptions are high.

There’s a risk of progressing too fast. When done both at the same session, one has to be more careful to not to load too heavy.

I used to do the movements separately too, but nowadays I like to do the program as is.

There’s a risk of progressing too fast. When done both at the same session, one has to be more careful to not to load too heavy.

I used to do the movements separately too, but nowadays I like to do the program as is.

How is progressing too fast a negative? If you would please elaborate. Thanks.

Depends on your needs and whether it is even prudent to do so. For instance I'd see decoupling as a necessary thing if I were going above Simple weight (pursuing Timeless Sinister) to be relatively fresh for my afternoon Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu lessons if for some reason I can't recover as well.

I only do this on my days off. When I'm working, I only have time for one session.

TGU on it's own is easier to recover from. But doing the 10 x 10 Swings beforehand is a fantastic warm up for TGU's, If I'm splitting the workout, I make sure to warm up with Cleans etc before I start doing TGU.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is exactly how the program was originally structured in Enter the Kettlebell, so it has that pedigree. I was doing that when I first started, and I think it helped, because I was *very* unhealthy when I first started, and having them decoupled I think was a good thing for me at the time.

I tried something like this and also ETK PM for while last summer. I dont think doing swings and get ups on separate sessions is as good GPP as S&S by the book. Of course you could split 100 swings and 10 get ups to even smaller sessions using GTG method, which is fine is suppose, but it has different pros and cons than S&S. I would, split them every now and then if you would miss the training completely otherwise, but try to do it by the book as often as possible.

Strength Shortcuts rules!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom