all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can you do A+A alternating swings + pushups (like Q&D)?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
Pretty much just the thread title. Can you do A+A alternating swings + pushups (like Q&D)? If so, what would it look like?

Thanks so much!

Victor protocol should work just fine.
But, off the top of my head,
I could start out with 5reps EMOM to see how it went.

0:00, 5 swings
1:00, 5 pushups
2:00, 5 swings
3:00, 5 pushups

For where I'm at ~250 lbs the pushups would be kinda heavy, and the swings might feel a little light. So I might take the pushups down to 4, or 3 reps, as it continues, and the swings at simple weights. The 32kg to start. But maybe 6 reps per set. If I could keep that up for 30-60 minutes that's be good. Might wanna try to extend it to 90 minutes across a 12 week training block.

That would seem pretty alactic to me.
And then you could do some light box steps or walk or jog for aerobics. I like rowing myself.

Don't see why not, although I'd make the push-up snappy rather than grinding them out. Could do a few burpees instead?

I'm doing 7 swings EMOM at 36kg for A&A currently. Doing 2 sessions a week, add 4 minutes second session of the week, then the first weekly session repeat that, then add 4 mins etc., so 24m & 28m / 28m & 32m / 32m & 36m etc. Building up to 60 mins over 12 week. Then will repeat from the start with 40kg.

I remember @Anna C posting a similar example on insta. I think her rep count was lower on the pushups and also only every third round, or so.

Yes, I was doing the push-ups immediately after the swings or snatches, with rest between each combined repeat. Here is one:

Another A+A session - 33 NR in 49 min.
First 15 NR as 5 x
5 snatch R 20kg + 2 push-ups
5 snatch L 20kg + 2 pushups
5 2H swings 40kg + 2 pushups
Next 18 NR as 6 x
5 snatch R 20kg
5 snatch L 20kg
5 2H swings 40kg

Victor protocol should work just fine.
But, off the top of my head,
I could start out with 5reps EMOM to see how it went.

0:00, 5 swings
1:00, 5 pushups
2:00, 5 swings
3:00, 5 pushups

For where I'm at ~250 lbs the pushups would be kinda heavy, and the swings might feel a little light. So I might take the pushups down to 4, or 3 reps, as it continues, and the swings at simple weights. The 32kg to start. But maybe 6 reps per set. If I could keep that up for 30-60 minutes that's be good. Might wanna try to extend it to 90 minutes across a 12 week training block.

That would seem pretty alactic to me.
And then you could do some light box steps or walk or jog for aerobics. I like rowing myself.
+1 on the the 5 reps EMOM. I actually find it kind of relaxing

Thank you all, that is really helpful. I'll try some of these after my current cycle, maybe starting with the 5 reps.

What I did while traveling was cleans and OAP or Explosive Pushups. It worked reasonably well, although personally I preferred sandbag over the shoulders, explosive pushups, and L-chins for cycling through like that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom