all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Can you grease the groove push-ups and bench press at the same time?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoungeDesKiller

First Post
My goal with push-ups is to gain reps and build muscular endurance, and while I've found success with greasing the groove, I have abandoned bench pressing so it doesn't interfere with my recovery. But I'd love to increase my strength on the bench press.

Pavel Tsatsouline recommends only greasing the groove two movements and their variations. I wonder if the bench press and push-ups are similar enough that you could get away with greasing the groove for them both. But since my goals for each movement are different, ultimately I want to know if it'd be possible to grease the groove push-ups for muscular endurance by doing half the amount of reps I'm currently capable of throughout the day, and at the same time, grease the groove bench press no more than 5 reps per set for strength throughout the day. Theoretically shouldn't this be possible if I'm avoiding failure and fatigue and staying fresh all day?

I can do this because I have my own home bench and Olympic weight set.

Possible depending on volume and intensity. However, you could program them together in a program with Bench Press on Heavy day and Push-ups on Light and/or Medium day.
How many Days per week do you currently train and what other skills are you working?
Another option that would help increase Push-up reps and make your bench stronger…. Would be to GTG with OAPU’s (even if on an elevation) this would make your bench stronger after working unilaterally. Just a thought.

Possible depending on volume and intensity. However, you could program them together in a program with Bench Press on Heavy day and Push-ups on Light and/or Medium day.
How many Days per week do you currently train and what other skills are you working?
Another option that would help increase Push-up reps and make your bench stronger…. Would be to GTG with OAPU’s (even if on an elevation) this would make your bench stronger after working unilaterally. Just a thought.
I squat 3x5 Monday and Friday and deadlift x5 on Wednesday. I grease the groove mostly push-ups but also some chin-ups and pull-ups throughout the day. I can currently do 20 reps in one set and I do around 8 reps every time I grease the groove. I haven't benched in a month since I started greasing the groove so it doesn't interfere. I'm training to join the military less than a year from now so my priority is to get higher repetitions of push-ups and pull-ups as well as improve my cardio. I run Tuesday and Thursday between my weight training sessions. I rest completely over the weekend.

Rotating two week blocks to train competing goals used to be fairly popular around here. Haven't seen much about it lately.

I wonder if the bench press and push-ups are similar enough that you could get away with greasing the groove for them both.
No

Technique Development in any movement require that the particular movement be trained.

Thus, to increase Bench Press Technique, you need to set aside a Bench Press Technique Training Day.

Push Up

Push Up can increase Bench Press Strength; providing a Maximum Strength Training Program is followed.

Performing Muscular Endurance Push Up Training works for increasing Endurance but does little to increase Bench Press Strength.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom