all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can you run S&S and Tactical Barbell conditioning program concurrently?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi.

Can you run S&S and the Tactical Barbell base building program concurrently? TB calls for 30 minutes of running or running/walking 3-5 times per day. The duration increases by 10 minutes every week until it reaches 60 minutes per session. From the 6th week on, it is just once a week of 60-75 minutes of running or running/walking. This is the gist of it.

In S&S Pavel does say that if you are on a strength training program, then do S&S twice a week. Does this hold good for a conditioning program as well? Meaning for these 5 weeks or so, run S&S twice a week and then go back to normal from 6th week?

Also, in the beginning of TB, the author mentions building an aerobic base to reap its benefits and then adding HIIT and putting aerobic work on maintenance mode unless you want more of it for something like a triathlon. How does this tie in with the anti glycolytic training that S&S is about?

I want to run because in Muay Thai, you are expected to and because it is a good skill to have.

Looking forward to all your responses. Thanks.

I did the TB base building three times so far.
My recommendation would be:

Do the base building like it's outlined in the books. You can do swings as one of the SE movements and I am sure you can add some get ups in the end of the training or on run days. Don't go crazy.
Just do the work that is written down and adjust slowly while concerning and observing your ability to regenerate from all those SE sessions and runs. In the end of the base building it's quite an amount of work you have to do.
I would just skip pure S&S for that time.

After finishing the base building you will be very flexible with the strength templates and the conditioning. That's what I love about TB.
Then you absolutely can combine S&S with some of the templates.

Why don't you finish base building, focus on good quality of the exercises, do your runs and then come back and consider what to do next?

Hi.

Can you run S&S and the Tactical Barbell base building program concurrently? TB calls for 30 minutes of running or running/walking 3-5 times per day. The duration increases by 10 minutes every week until it reaches 60 minutes per session. From the 6th week on, it is just once a week of 60-75 minutes of running or running/walking. This is the gist of it.

In S&S Pavel does say that if you are on a strength training program, then do S&S twice a week. Does this hold good for a conditioning program as well? Meaning for these 5 weeks or so, run S&S twice a week and then go back to normal from 6th week?

Also, in the beginning of TB, the author mentions building an aerobic base to reap its benefits and then adding HIIT and putting aerobic work on maintenance mode unless you want more of it for something like a triathlon. How does this tie in with the anti glycolytic training that S&S is about?

I want to run because in Muay Thai, you are expected to and because it is a good skill to have.

Looking forward to all your responses. Thanks.

Yes, you could use almost any template, subbing the HIC sessions for S&S. I would maintain SE and E sessions, though.

Expected and needed are different. Overall, I think running is a little overrated unless it's a tested event or for the sport of running itself. Though I've done plenty of running in the past, I've always agreed with the concept that running breeds cowardice.

There are so many ways to develop the aerobic system that running may not be the best development tool for martial arts either. Long A+A training is a good example of developing the aerobic system while simultaneously developing speed and power. Just long sparring sessions are a twofer.

Also, I think aerobic power is necessary but not aerobic capacity for martial arts. Get in, get intense, get out rather than get in, be slow, stay in, get hammered. It doesn't matter if you can go for an hour if you're dominated 30 seconds in.

Hello,

I tend to agree with @Bro Mo . Running is specific, this is an activity "per se". Plus, there are different kinds of running, assuming you do it to gain endurance. Running on a flat track is something. Running in the woods or mountains is way different (possibly harder).

My boxing teacher, who is at national level claim that roughly 3 times a week of easy LSD running is enough for most of us. If you already do a lot of sparring, performing 2 to 3 running sessions a week, plus S&S, plus TB may be enough.

That being said, if you want to, you can run "fartlek-style". When you feel it, you do an all out sprint (but you have to be fresh). You can plan intervals using a stopwatch, or going by feel.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks for the replies.

I would agree that running for the sake of running would be well a waste of time. That is why I like the TB conditioning approach. Develop a base and then maintain it or build on it, as you want to. It would be just 4 weeks of intensive running, then it would be once a week. Seems pretty reasonable IMHO.

Hello,

Having the ability to run roughly 45-60 minutes here and there, using nasal breathing (LSD) is always a 'nice to have'. But your schedule is already dense.

Your idea to get it done once a week sounds great!

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom