all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can't do get ups since rheumatoid arthritis doesn't allow me to fully extend my elbow

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

cloudstrf

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi strength brothers and sisters!

I wanted to see if there's any training advice for someone with rheumatoid arthritis.

It particularly affects my left elbow, where inflamation doesn't allow me to fully extend or fully bend, and ha sled to severe triceps hypotrophy. I tried get ups in many ways but anything heavier than 8 kilos is impossible as I loose stability in the arm and have to eventually drop the weight to the floor, which is obviously dangerous.

Has anyone gone through something similar? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Andres J.

I have severe arthritis in both wrist and can’t post up for the bridge. I switched to a tactical getup and that seems to have done the trick. There’s a great strong first video on YouTube , search get up variations.

cloudstrf—did you mean hypertrophy (gaining muscle) or atrophy (losing muscle)?

I would perform get-ups only to the elbow (or not perform them) until you can do them with more stability/address the elbow.

I have severe arthritis in both wrist and can’t post up for the bridge. I switched to a tactical getup and that seems to have done the trick. There’s a great strong first video on YouTube , search get up variations.
Thanks! I researched this variation will try it slowly see how far i can go with it.

cloudstrf—did you mean hypertrophy (gaining muscle) or atrophy (losing muscle)?

I would perform get-ups only to the elbow (or not perform them) until you can do them with more stability/address the elbow.
Yes, atrophy! Used the wrong term there hehe. It's been quite difficult to treat it, actually. But I do agree it will be best to wait for it to improve and not force it with this movement for the moment.

I wanted to see if there's any training advice for someone with rheumatoid arthritis.

It particularly affects my left elbow, where inflamation doesn't allow me to fully extend or fully bend, and ha sled to severe triceps hypotrophy. I tried get ups in many ways but anything heavier than 8 kilos is impossible as I loose stability in the arm and have to eventually drop the weight to the floor, which is obviously dangerous.

Thanks!

Andres J.
A get up of sorts can be done with a sandbag on the shoulder. No arm straightening involved.

A get up of sorts can be done with a sandbag on the shoulder. No arm straightening involved.
Love sandbag getups... and can go heavy with them safely. Trades off shoulder stabilizer work for hip hinge work, if each getup is started with a clean to shoulder. Carries over nicely to kettlebell cleans and snatches.

Thanks!

Andres J.

Nothing wrong with an 8K getup... or a 10 lb. getup... or even a naked getup.

Inability to establish arm lockout should rule out putting a heavy weight above head/body... until the underlying issue is sorted out.

Besides, once we re-appraise our goals without being fixated on specific exercises, chances are we can find alternate training modalities that do not exacerbate pre-exiting conditions.

Love sandbag getups... and can go heavy with them safely. Trades off shoulder stabilizer work for hip hinge work, if each getup is started with a clean to shoulder. Carries over nicely to kettlebell cleans and snatches.
Always a way my good fellow.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom