all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed cant do goblen squat without lifting heels

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ineverexisted

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi my name is Alex and I just started trying out the simple and sinister routine. One thing I noticed is that I can't do the goblin squat without lifting my heels. I know this is a sign of extreme lack of mobility so my question is what is the best way to fix this and also is this something to be concerned when doing the other exercises? Thanks

@browna0909, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

First order of business is to hold onto something sturdy like the upright of a power rack, and find your deep, heels on the ground, squat. Work on that, not the goblet squat, until you can do at least 10 reps. As you progress, work on using less support from your hands on the rack upright but don't feel like you must give it up completely - you don't ever have to.

At some point, trade the rack upright for a kettlebell in the goblet squat position. Find a weight that's heavy enough to serve as a counterbalance and not heavier than that. Hold the weight a little away from your body where it will help balance you better.

-S-

Post a video of your squat if you can, and follow the guidelines - feet track the same direction as knees, etc.

-S-

@browna0909
Putting, say, a yoga block under your butt when you squat may help you explore foot positions without concerns about losing balsnce.
Also, doing squats without shoes helps me feel my feet's connection to the floor and shoe design won't interfere with what I am trying to do with my feet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom