all posts post new thread

Kettlebell can't do turkish get ups for a while, what's a good alternative?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pood_swinger

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello KB friends
I hurt my right shoulder in early june. Got better but still bothers me depending on what I do. Mostly with anything involving raising it to a vertical position against resistance
Started doing Simple & Sinister on July 3rd. Started doing turkish get ups with no weight, then 4kg then last week started doing some with 8kg.
The right shoulder started to hurt again after going up in weight. Hurts more when the arm is anchored doing the "tripod" position before kneeling (more than when it's holding the weight up)
Went to the traumatologist today, said it's a subacromial bursitis. Recommended to stop putting the shoulder in extreme positions to give the supraspinatus some rest.
Said to better do presses while lying down vs doing clean/presses, pressing while standing engages more the supraspinatus. Said haloes could be also a problem
So I've been doing S&S around 5 days a week. Now I'm starting to notice benefits from the work out and don't want to stop. I've been extremely sedentary since 2010 and I finally decided to change things and S&S has gotten me to commit to a plan
I'll keep doing the swings, but what would be an alternative to turkish get ups and maybe haloes until my shoulder heals?

@pood_swinger Welcome!
Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal quick. In the mean time, have you try a Tactical Getup? I do it since my unhealed wrist injury. But, long story short, I put the bell in front of my chest and just get up. Should be good for you.

@pood_swinger Welcome!
Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal quick. In the mean time, have you try a Tactical Getup? I do it since my unhealed wrist injury. But, long story short, I put the bell in front of my chest and just get up. Should be good for you.
Sound good but I'll still have the problem of the arm being anchored before kneeling when having the KB on the other hand

Keep the bell in front of your chest with two arms, like in barbel curl. Just hold it and try to get up forward.
Something like in the video below but with a bell.

Hello KB friends
I hurt my right shoulder in early june. Got better but still bothers me depending on what I do. Mostly with anything involving raising it to a vertical position against resistance
Started doing Simple & Sinister on July 3rd. Started doing turkish get ups with no weight, then 4kg then last week started doing some with 8kg.
The right shoulder started to hurt again after going up in weight. Hurts more when the arm is anchored doing the "tripod" position before kneeling (more than when it's holding the weight up)
Went to the traumatologist today, said it's a subacromial bursitis. Recommended to stop putting the shoulder in extreme positions to give the supraspinatus some rest.
Said to better do presses while lying down vs doing clean/presses, pressing while standing engages more the supraspinatus. Said haloes could be also a problem
So I've been doing S&S around 5 days a week. Now I'm starting to notice benefits from the work out and don't want to stop. I've been extremely sedentary since 2010 and I finally decided to change things and S&S has gotten me to commit to a plan
I'll keep doing the swings, but what would be an alternative to turkish get ups and maybe haloes until my shoulder heals?
Welcome to SF.
As @mikhael mentioned the TacG will be a good alternative. I used it quite successfully when rehabilitating a shoulder injury. I was able to use 24kg in this fashion.

I wouldn’t worry about not doing the halo....

again welcome

Keep the bell in front of your chest with two arms, like in barbel curl. Just hold it and try to get up forward.
Something like in the video below but with a bell.

Oh s*** I just assumed it was the same movements but with the hand holding the bell close to the chest (I'm at work now couldn't search it)
But that looks fine for the shoulders I'll try that
The halo haven't hurt so far even with the 12kg KB unless the shoulder it's already achy

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have the same question but a slightly different situation. I started doing S&S in March, and I have moved up to S+ = 40kg swings and G+ = 32kg getups which is challenging but doable. I was aiming to complete the "Simple" in January, but now my left knee has started hurting so I can not bend it much. This means that I can still do swings (just tested it) but getups I cannot do. Halo is ok, Goblet Squat is out.

Any suggestions for a replacement exercise? Obviously I cannot do the Tactical Get-Up either. This post TGU work around for knee bursitis recommended doing the first half of get-ups, like Tall Sits or Windmills with double volume. Or I could just do a lot of pushups.

If you think of the TGU as a press, maybe Floor Presses.

If you consider it more of a carry, there are plenty of options:
- Sandbag Carries
- Sandbag Get Ups
- KB Carries
- Sled Work

Carries can include all kinds of variety.

You could for example set aside 10 minutes for carries and vary it every time: Sometimes lighter and continuous, sometimes heavier and with more rest. This should also give you a solid midsection, strength endurance and all around "functional" strength.

Have a look at "becoming bulletproof project" by Tim Anderson if this interests you.

PS: Welcome to the forum!
PPS: When I had bursitis in my shoulder it took eight months until I was pain free again. So do what you can and don't lose patience. Good luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom