all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can't have it all at the same time!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think pavel's programs have it all if you follow them by the letter.

Media and the bodybuilding hype have messed up the image of how a strong body should look like.

Ive tried all kinds of strength tools and favor kettlebells the most (2nd calisthenics) Not because cannonballs with handles are cool but they seem most effective. Then again i dont just judge my strength gains based on my lifts but on how they transfer to the real world.

- Fifteen solid reps of trap bar lifts with my bodyweight loaded on the bar. (*)

- Fifteen strict pull ups and dips with no extra load.

(*) Five to eight reps of clean + front squat + push press with my bodyweight loaded on the bar is my other benchmark and rather accurate predictor of my performance in my martial arts practice.

Those numbers definitely do not suck, most people on the planet (probably more than 99.999%) can't do it, me included without specific training to achieve these particular goals. But then again if I narrow my focus to achieve these numbers it will cost me in my current strength pursuits, thereby proving once again you can't have it all. At least not at the same time.

Then again i dont just judge my strength gains based on my lifts but on how they transfer to the real world.

When the rubber hits the road. Specificity is the champion, and I at least can only apply so much of that toward a desired outcome without diminishing something else. Again, this conversation is definitely more ruminative exercise than anything else because we don't share the same criteria for "having it all".

I recently changed my routine around to target more day to day lifting and object manipulation, and it worked/is working. Some of the activities I do fairly regularly that had me thinking "this should be easier for how much I press/swing etc" are now indeed easier than they used to be.

I can't help but notice I've lost some hand speed as part of the process...but I don't throw punches on a daily basis and not at all for $. What I've lost maybe still fits in the "having it all" column, IDK - I'll find out the hard way or maybe never.

Those numbers definitely do not suck, most people on the planet (probably more than 99.999%) can't do it, me included without specific training to achieve these particular goals. But then again if I narrow my focus to achieve these numbers it will cost me in my current strength pursuits, thereby proving once again you can't have it all. At least not at the same time.

My point exactly.

You can't have it all, no matter your genetics and how hard you train. Not even Alex Viada, who routinely competes in powerlfting events and ultra-endurance races.

Granted, his lifts are waaaaaaaay beyond mine (he pulled 700 lbs. within a week of running a 50 mile race), but he doesn't even come close to elite numbers. Which is NOT a criticism, but the way the human body is.

Same goes for the equally impressive Asthon Eaton, who probably is the best decathlete ever.

So, yes, you can't have it all. But, as my numbers clearly show, you sure can suck at everything. ROFL

What I was trying to say is that, even if you suck at anything (running, lifting, climbing...), it might still be more than enough. Being a well-rounded athlete with very, very, very modest numbers can get you far (relatively speaking, of course).

You don't really need to have it all to achieve great things. That is my point.

And you need even less to keep you healthy. Just look at any eight year old kid: he can run, climb, crawl, throw, play, fight, swim, bike for hours on end. And his "numbers" couldn't be less impressive. ;)

Again, this conversation is definitely more ruminative exercise than anything else because we don't share the same criteria for "having it all".

Exactly the point I was trying to make with humor. You put it into words very well.

I recently changed my routine around to target more day to day lifting and object manipulation, and it worked/is working. Some of the activities I do fairly regularly that had me thinking "this should be easier for how much I press/swing etc" are now indeed easier than they used to be

This is the thinking man's strategy and I for one agree. I know I'm stronger now in certain areas than I was a year ago but the carryover to daily life isn't as good now as it was with last year's. It's something that's been on my mind lately..

This is the thinking man's strategy and I for one agree. I know I'm stronger now in certain areas than I was a year ago but the carryover to daily life isn't as good now as it was with last year's. It's something that's been on my mind lately..

I've undergone a fundamental shift in thinking on this subject. I now view it as mission specific, sort of like designing a robot to do what you need doing, but built on a standard chassis. This sounds like common sense - we already do this for better sport outcome but not so often for day to day stuff.

I believe its because we don't readily identify where things break down. We tend to muddle through or just think we need more general strength when we could be looking at our day-to-day as a sport.

We tend to muddle through or just think we need more general strength when we could be looking at our day-to-day as a sport.

For example, the entire reason I train (besides the fact that it’s fun) is to address the fact that I am aging, my wife has health challenges, and we have no children to help. Thus, all I do is geared towards having the strength to care for my wife, be able to survive a fall when I’m in my 80’s, and avoid the debilitating effects of sitting too much for as long as possible.

Hence, Original Strength resets, KB Squats, Swings, and Turkish get-ups with a lot of gentle walking and moderate bicycling.

Seems to be working for me with my goal of living well as long as possible.

This has become a very interesting thread, just some more of my usual rambling...

If being a jack of all trades master of none leads to a mediocrity that is far enough ahead of the average punter to satisf, why not? Perhaps a lower level of performance relative to potential across more more disciplines is better than a narrower focus. Or maybe not.

This is actually quite a statement. Many years ago when I decided to leave behind PL lifting I made a goal of a 40 min. 10K and a 2x BW bench. A buddy shock his head and said man that's two opposite ends of the spectrum. A very tough goal. He was right. My best 10K was 40:55 and my best bench was 315 at around 170 lb. Whenever I tried to improve on these numbers complications came in, injury. I always looked at it as a failure.

Ahead about 30 years and my daughter wanted me to run a half marathon with her. The furthest I had ever ran in my life was 10 miles and that was decades before. I used A+A training for the half marathon. Swings and only running twice per week at MAF. One day of running was progressively longer than the previous week building up to 80 min. The other run was only 20 or 30 min. Again, both at MAF. I ran the half all but the last two miles at MAF and finished. That was my goal. The three or four men in my age group that finished ahead of me did quite well. Could they do simple? I don't know and don't care, but I have my opinions.

Very, very modest goals. But on that day I had it all.

The daughter and I had a blast. Like most things like this you are surrounded by like minded people and they are fun. I told her we should try and do this each fall. I had already decided to do a TSC and made a goal for the TSC each spring and a half each fall before bow hunting becomes my priority.

The next spring I did the TSC. Again modest numbers. If I remember correctly I met or exceeded my goal in all three events. Again, that day I had it all.

I think pavel's programs have it all if you follow them by the letter.

Media and the bodybuilding hype have messed up the image of how a strong body should look like.

Personally I believe Pavel's programs have their place. To piggyback on your second statement that's where I think some get discouraged.

I always go back to what Perry Radar told me long ago. Press, row, squat, and deadlift from time to time. I have yet to find one of Pavel's programs that has the classic press, row/pull, and squat template. We can spend all day debating whether this is true. Whether swings and get ups or cleaning the bell to press it makes up for the squat and we'd never come to an agreement. Even in PTP I don't think the DL makes up for not squatting.

Where some get discouraged with these programs is that in a gym being able to do simple is most likely looked upon as odd, peculiar, eccentric, whatever. Because what is thought to be looked upon as strong is maybe a 300 lb. bench or a 400 lb. squat. Not ten get ups with a 72.5 lb. kettlebell.

But if all you want is to be able to live a fit and healthy life these programs make total sense. I'm preaching to the choir here. We've realized this and have our own ideas of what having it all might be. Bravo to all of you folks.

When the rubber hits the road. Specificity is the champion, and I at least can only apply so much of that toward a desired outcome without diminishing something else.

This is true to an extent. But most champions crossover from one sport to another very well. Mostly because they are "athletic". Micheal Jordan would be a perfect example. So if you're in that 1% this doesn't hold true. The problem, and Mr. Miller I agree with you on this is that most want to believe they are in that 1% when they are not. So to reach a high level yes they must be specific on the goal.

It's not what we do the hour a day in the gym (or whatever) that defines us; its what we do in the other 23.

So very true. Where most everyone falls is with nutrition. Like they say, the easy part is the hour in the gym. The hard part is the 23 hr. out of it trying to fuel yourself with healthy food.

And then there are those who eat crickets. : )

I will leave with this. Some of you have seen this and know it to be true. A young man has it in his heart to become some sort of special operations operator. Let's just say a USMC Scout/Sniper. He trains all the time. This cat is a specimen. He goes to the indoctrination and flies through all of the physical tests they throw at him. But when they make the selections he is left out due to his psychological exam. Some may think this young man has it all. Unfortunately maybe he's not healthy.

on that day I had it all.

The daughter and I had a blast

Kudos to you sir, you did have it all on that day. I read a study once where people on their deathbeds were interviewed. Not one mentioned money, career, power, fame etc..

In the end they wished they had spent more time with their loved ones, so again kudos to you and well done.

I tell people I'm the richest man in the world. Rich in the things money can't buy, I have a good woman who loves me, friends that love me and 3 beautiful kids that love me.. What other measure of success is there? I will leave this life a happy man.

I tell people I'm the richest man in the world. Rich in the things money can't buy, I have a good woman who loves me, friends that love me and 3 beautiful kids that love me.. What other measure of success is there? I will leave this life a happy man.

And kudos to you Bret. If only more folks realized how well we have it. I too have a great marriage, two great kids, two great in-laws, and a wonderful Grandson.

20 months ago I took a fall and shattered my left heel. I did extensive damage to the subtaler joint. I have a plate and 11 screws in my left foot and very little cartilage in the subtaler joint. I suffer from pain most every day.

So most likely I will not run another half marathon or participate in the TSC because heavy DL'ing isn't in the cards. My accident could have been much worse. Even though I got tired of hearing that I know it to be true. I can train around my left foot. I have the above. I've been able to take a completely different look at things these last 20 months. Everyone on this board has it all.

And kudos to you Bret. If only more folks realized how well we have it. I too have a great marriage, two great kids, two great in-laws, and a wonderful Grandson.

20 months ago I took a fall and shattered my left heel. I did extensive damage to the subtaler joint. I have a plate and 11 screws in my left foot and very little cartilage in the subtaler joint. I suffer from pain most every day.

So most likely I will not run another half marathon or participate in the TSC because heavy DL'ing isn't in the cards. My accident could have been much worse. Even though I got tired of hearing that I know it to be true. I can train around my left foot. I have the above. I've been able to take a completely different look at things these last 20 months. Everyone on this board has it all.

Amen

Edit: And sorry to hear of your injury, I'm sure with your attitude and outlook you'll find a way to make some lemonade :cool:

I will leave this life a happy man.

Ukh0m.png

EDIT: That's supposed to be an image of Djimon Hounsou from Gladiator saying "not yet"... but not sure that's working. Fail...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have not, only the bodybuilding book, ETK, and S&S. What is in it that meets this template?

Pulls presses and squats. Then there's the Clean & Jerk, which comes close to being all those 3 in 1 package. It's a good read, and I would recommend it to anyone. Even those uninterested in doing the program.

And then there are those who eat crickets. : )

I tried Exo Protein Bars out of curiosity. They are made with "cricket flour" - they roast the crickets then grind them they have the consistency of flour. It's not like you're eating a protein bar with legs and antennae poking out. They were delicious. Best protein bar I've had. They are pricey though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom