all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can't have it all at the same time!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I tried Exo Protein Bars out of curiosity. They are made with "cricket flour" - they roast the crickets then grind them they have the consistency of flour. It's not like you're eating a protein bar with legs and antennae poking out. They were delicious. Best protein bar I've had. They are pricey though.

Funniest thing I've read all day. Not sure which is funniest... The idea of eating a protein bar with legs and antennae poking out... the idea that they're really making protein bars with crickets... or the fact that people are paying top dollar for them. OMG, made my day :D ... But I think I'll stick to whey protein!

Screw that! Us Old F***s don't need a trophy. Just give out free pairs of reading glasses and that will make 99% of us happy. I'm always misplacing mine.

Great idea! I'll add them to the grab box I'm setting up. The box will be at the entrance and so far will contain depends and reading glasses.

I'm tired of members fumbling around under their seats and asking to use the bathroom while I'm speaking.. very distracting

I tried Exo Protein Bars out of curiosity. They are made with "cricket flour" - they roast the crickets then grind them they have the consistency of flour. It's not like you're eating a protein bar with legs and antennae poking out. They were delicious. Best protein bar I've had. They are pricey though.

Where our daughter teaches the mascot is "The Crickets". She claims they are Chinese Fighting Crickets if that exists. She gave me a shirt that says "Got Chirp" on it. Once when I was wearing it a guy ask me if I raised crickets. He said he had a friend who raised crickets. Then sells them to zoos, Disney World, places like that that use them to feed animals that eat crickets. He said his friend does quite well. Who knew.

Pulls presses and squats. Then there's the Clean & Jerk, which comes close to being all those 3 in 1 package. It's a good read, and I would recommend it to anyone. Even those uninterested in doing the program.

That figures, the only one I haven't read is the one with that program. Is it double clean and presses, pull ups, and double KB front squats? I believe that I thought it was double KB movements. I have no prejudice against double kettlebell work. But for the home gym guy you fall into quite a rabbit hole needing two of each bell. If I were going to do that I'd invest into another "O" set. The O set would be more versatile in my opinion than the investment in double KB's.

That figures, the only one I haven't read is the one with that program. Is it double clean and presses, pull ups, and double KB front squats? I believe that I thought it was double KB movements. I have no prejudice against double kettlebell work. But for the home gym guy you fall into quite a rabbit hole needing two of each bell. If I were going to do that I'd invest into another "O" set. The O set would be more versatile in my opinion than the investment in double KB's.

MP, FSQ, DL. Push Press, Snatch and C&J. The programming is very interesting. It's only 9 euros on amazon. I'm currently re-reading it for wisdom :)

If I want to start using barbells again then I won't bother buying a set. I'll join the nearest "Powerlifting/Strongman" gym. I miss the socializing

Funniest thing I've read all day. Not sure which is funniest... The idea of eating a protein bar with legs and antennae poking out... the idea that they're really making protein bars with crickets... or the fact that people are paying top dollar for them. OMG, made my day :D ... But I think I'll stick to whey protein!

I like trying weird food so when I heard about these I had to try them. In a way I was "disappointed" that there were no legs and antennae poking out as I was looking for something weird. Seriously they were very good. The cost is probably due to the fact that the idea of eating crickets turns many off and sales are low. But there is nothing "crickety" about them. It's like a regular protein bar. If I gave you one and you didn't know that they were made with cricket flour you would not know the difference. These bars are considered "paleo" because they are sweetened with honey (which I guess counts as paleo). For those into paleo, these are okay to eat, but they are fairly high in carbs because of the honey. For a while I was set up on an automatic shipment I liked these so much.

Crickets are high in protein (apparently many insects are high in protein) and are less expensive to raise than other animals. I like my meat, but if technology advances to the point where I can live to be 200, and overcrowding forces humans to raise protein from more sustainable sources, I can see myself living off of these protein bars.

I like trying weird food so when I heard about these I had to try them. In a way I was "disappointed" that there were no legs and antennae poking out as I was looking for something weird. Seriously they were very good. The cost is probably due to the fact that the idea of eating crickets turns many off and sales are low. But there is nothing "crickety" about them. It's like a regular protein bar. If I gave you one and you didn't know that they were made with cricket flour you would not know the difference. These bars are considered "paleo" because they are sweetened with honey (which I guess counts as paleo). For those into paleo, these are okay to eat, but they are fairly high in carbs because of the honey. For a while I was set up on an automatic shipment I liked these so much.

Crickets are high in protein (apparently many insects are high in protein) and are less expensive to raise than other animals. I like my meat, but if technology advances to the point where I can live to be 200, and overcrowding forces humans to raise protein from more sustainable sources, I can see myself living off of these protein bars.
I was the one who posted something a while back about a cricket dinner I recently had at a restaurant. These were whole crickets, legs, antennae and all. Once you got over the fact you were eating bugs the meal was actually pretty tasty...

Crickets are real popular in Thailand. Once upon a time, the natural history museum in Montreal sponsored an insect based culinary competition with the city's top chefs.

On the notion of "having it all": I think two aspects are sort of missing from this conversation:
- Mobility
- Maintaining "all"

For me, I can' follow a strict strength program and improve my mobility at the same time. There are just too many issues with my mobility... However, I have found that that carries and crawling help to maintain (and build!) a lot of strength so that I can focus on mobility the rest of my limited time - and finally improve it by focusing on it!

The second aspect (maintenance) would be an interesting one for a future book or article from Pavel. How do you approach training after peaking and after having reached your potential (in the context of both your genes and your available time, energy and stress levels)?

Put another way: How does Pavel train and how does he maintain his strength and mobility?

In the Tim Ferriss podcast he mentions that he tries to regain his middlesplits at least once per year, just to give an example.

Also, you can't set PRs forever. After a certain point it's more about maintenance.

Maintenance is a really good topic. Of a course a true peal can't be maintained for long, but what about reaching higher levels of plateaus? What does it take to maintain a new baseline? Does it vary between strength, endurance, hypertrophy?

Maintenance is a really good topic. Of a course a true peal can't be maintained for long, but what about reaching higher levels of plateaus? What does it take to maintain a new baseline? Does it vary between strength, endurance, hypertrophy?

It depends on your particular definition of "higher level of plateau".

I don't think it would be especially difficult to achieve and maintain:

- Deadlift: 200% bw.

- Squat: 175% bw.

- Bench/Row/Dip/Pull Up: 150% bw.

- 5K run: 20 minutes or a bit less.

- 10K run: 50 minutes or a bit less.

Problem is, anything beyond that would take A LOT of work to achieve, and it would take its toll on all the other activities. Hence, the need to cycle a prioritize different kinds of training during the year.

I strongly recommend Alex Viada's book on this subject. This guy is an absolute monster.

I strongly recommend Alex Viada's book on this subject. This guy is an absolute monster.

Just got the book on kindle. After doing a search on him and seeing a bunch of different pictures he's not a naturally big dude.. Having been down the road of chemical enhancements myself I would be surprised if he were 'natural'. That being said he's still phenomenal either way.

I'll read the book as time allows, very interesting..

@Alan Mackey

By "higher" plateau, I mean relative to oneself. When one achieves a new level of performance, how much effort is needed to maintain it?

What is this Alex Viada book you mention?

I ate grasshoppers and similar in Korea. They didn't do anything special for me. Not worth paying for at any rate. We got them for free from the fields.

I’m 50 years old. I’ve been dead twice. I have five stents in my heart.
In recent years, I’ve squatted and deadlifted 2xBW, benched 1.5xBW and won Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournaments.
But I kept getting hurt, and the injuries never fully recovered.
So I had to adjust my goals.
Today, all my training must simultaneously advance two goals:
1. I will dance at my grandchildren’s wedding.
2. I can physically dominate a quarter my radius from my location for fifteen minutes (fight, flee, lift, drag, break, throw, etc.).
If the training doesn’t advance those goals, I don’t do it. Kettlebells, walking, and body weight training works for me to advance those goals. Barbells and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu no longer do. Can I deadlift 2xBW today? I don’t know and I don’t care.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom