all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can't have it all at the same time!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I’m 50 years old. I’ve been dead twice. I have five stents in my heart.
In recent years, I’ve squatted and deadlifted 2xBW, benched 1.5xBW and won Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournaments.
But I kept getting hurt, and the injuries never fully recovered.
So I had to adjust my goals.
Today, all my training must simultaneously advance two goals:
1. I will dance at my grandchildren’s wedding.
2. I can physically dominate a quarter my radius from my location for fifteen minutes (fight, flee, lift, drag, break, throw, etc.).
If the training doesn’t advance those goals, I don’t do it. Kettlebells, walking, and body weight training works for me to advance those goals. Barbells and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu no longer do. Can I deadlift 2xBW today? I don’t know and I don’t care.
You and I are very similar.

I've gotten a new thought brought about from my focus on pressing the past few weeks. It seems that after you get heavy enough in any of the "good" exercises that your trunk (the core) gets engaged a lot to keep everything stable for the lift, so almost no matter what lift you are specializing in, your core is getting a lot of out if. In other words, no matter what exercise, you're getting about 80% the same benefits. The important thing is to go pretty far with a few exercises to get the benefits for your core, rather than scraping the surface with many, which would mean that your exercises are not heavy enough to engage the core adequately to develop it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom