all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Can't press very much

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It's been a couple of years since I bench pressed that much. For the last year I've done fairly little weight training. Let's see how long it takes for me to progress to the 20's using ROP.

Okay, a several year old bench press PR is a lot different from a recent military press PR.

BTW, IIRC, Jeff Steinberg was around 160lbs when he became a beast tamer.

Perhaps you can upload a vid of your presses? that will answer a lot of questions

To press a lot you must press a lot. I recently pressed a 32kg for the first time. I've not followed any formal program, just pressed doubles every opportunity I got, as frequently as I could, increasing the volume whenever I felt strong enough. I did this not because I couldn't stick with a program (I really wish I had the time to go back to S&S as I really love that program!) or that I think I know better - I just have serious "me time" issues. GTG really. Worked a treat. Sub-maximal weights for high volume. It worked for me.

Just to throw this out there
Any injuries or injury history?
you mentioned being able to press a good amount with a barbell - was there time off and now you are returning to lifting etc...

Overall program - sports, activities, what (if anything) are you doing outside of KB training? and what is your overall KB routine?

Recovery - sleep, nutrition, etc...
work stress and overall like stress matters

Mark - Posting a video is a good idea. I'll get a neighbor to record a few clean and presses from different angles.

Brett - No injuries.

Here's a little bit of my story that might be relevant. I'm turning 52 next month. When I was 49 I achieved my huge gym goals: 321 back squat while weighing 160, 330 pound deadlift at the same weight and 210 (if I recall correctly) bench press, also at around that weight. After achieving those goals I burnt out on heavy training and dropped out of exercise for a year then came back to the gym for some more weight lifting but my heart wasn't in it to train so hard. I did rowing for a while but for most of the last year haven't done much of anything. A big part of my burnout is that while I can gain strength, I also gained 25 pounds in the last couple of years (probably largely fat) and it really bugged me that I could be strong and not lean. So, I got disgusted with the idea of lifting heavy and not having the lean body I want, especially given that I have a pretty good awareness of many diet modalities and none were working for me.

In the last few months I figured out how to fix my digestion (which I have long suspected was the cause of my weight gain -- I don't buy the "you're over 40, your metabolism is f*cked, live with it" philosophy.) I have been doing an elimination diet for the past 75 days consisting of mostly millet, mung beans, lentils, a bit of meat, ghee (clarified butter), and some vegetables, with a good amount of spices and herbal teas to support my digestion. This is the Ayurvedic diet with Kitchari meals, for those who are curious. Eliminating common allergens (gluten, casein, nuts, eggs, nightshades, and other foods) has taken a huge burden off my digestion and I've lost 25 pounds during these past 75 days. I should note that most of that weight loss appears to be fat. I look more solid than I did a couple of months ago and I've dropped 2.5" on my waist so, even though there is the concern about rapid weight loss leading to rapid lean mass loss, it has not much been the case for me. As an aside, when I played with the ketogenic diet combined with alternate day zero calorie fasting I lost weight but my body still looked pretty pudgy so I knew I was losing too much muscle along with any fat I was burning.

So, now that I've got the digestion under control and my weight is at a good place I want to continue to burn fat and get that strong lean look I've always wanted. In my mid-30's I was at 10% body fat (no 6-pack but that's fine) so I should be able to get a bunch leaner than the 20-25% that I am now.

What draws me to Pavel's approach to strength training is that it's not about spending hours in the gym. My challenge is to keep my calories low enough to burn fat but high enough to train. It's quite possible that my calories are too low right now. I'm guesstimating that I'm consuming 1500 calories per day. This level of consumption works great right now. While I imagine some of you are appalled that I am doing such a high carb diet I've also got plenty of easily digestible protein in the millet, mung beans, lentils, and some meat to preserve and build muscle mass. And, I don't have any blood sugar problems plus I can easily skip meals without being hungry. So, this diet is perfect for me right now and I don't want to spoil it by having to consume a ton more food to maintain heavy training. When I was working toward my double bodyweight backsquat I had to eat A LOT to sustain me and I don't believe that was good for my digestion. I'm not willing to do that again. So, I'm looking for that balance of eat somewhat more if I need to to build strength but not a lot more to strain my digestion and get fat.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I hope my background info is helpful to this discussion.

Update: After three days of ladders with the 16 kilo bell I just now tried some cleans and presses with my 20. I was able to do several sets of 1 left and 1 right rep. I think there is some technique that I was rusty on. I think I was trying to curl the 20 and couldn't even get the bell to my shoulder before. Now I'm remembering that cleaning is not curling and I was able to do explosive cleans and then the press was not too tough. A few years back I did work out at a kettlebell gym staffed with RKCs so I'm confident I learned good technique. Now, it's time to remind my body of the KB movement patterns.

In the last few months I figured out how to fix my digestion (which I have long suspected was the cause of my weight gain -- I don't buy the "you're over 40, your metabolism is f*cked, live with it" philosophy.)
Good for you! I'm 60; I dropped some fat and added a little muscle at age ~45 and have kept it off since. My max deadlift has gone down 4 pounds over the last decade, and I can live with that.

You went from 160 to 185 and decided you were too fat? Is that correct? How tall are you?
I'm 5'5". I was pretty fat at 185. I think I would be quite happy replacing 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle and staying at 160 pounds.

Reactions: szw
I'm 5'5". I was pretty fat at 185. I think I would be quite happy replacing 10 pounds of fat with 10 pounds of muscle and staying at 160 pounds.

Can't argue with ya there. As you've seen though, there's no free lunch. Losing all that weight cost you a good bit of strength. Gaining it back without putting on a whole lot of weight will be more difficult, but it sounds like you're no stranger to dietary discipline, so carry on and good luck to ya.

we're roughly the same height though I'm younger and lighter (roughly 145-150ish when heavy) if it would be of any help the "Chinese food for pressing gains" approach by Daniel Hanscom is a very wise approach

we're roughly the same height though I'm younger and lighter (roughly 145-150ish when heavy) if it would be of any help the "Chinese food for pressing gains" approach by Daniel Hanscom is a very wise approach
When I was lean but not particularly strong I weighed 154. I've never weighed less in my adult life and I was supposedly 10% fat, according to the guy at the gym who had lots of practice testing folks with skin calipers. When you're lean how much do you weigh and do you know your body comp?

I love the "Chinese food for pressing gains" approach. Thank you for introducing it. I will give it a go for a couple of weeks with my 20 and see what happens. If I could get to the point where I could do some singles at 24 I'd be very happy. I work from home so it's very easy to trickle in the presses throughout the day.

Sol,

The RoP will work a treat,I've progressed from 16 kg, through 20 kg and just finishing 24 kg ladders of presses at the moment.
Krg -- how long did it take you to progress to 20 and to 24?

@slnm I did it by the book for 20 and 24 kg, I wouldn't really look to alter it - it might look like slow progress but it works well and gradually builds the volume, importantly your body seems to get ready for the volume and should be less risk of injury (so far at least).
I'm right at the end of the 24 kg ladders now - I have been adding single 28s into the bottom rung, will switch to 3x3 ladders of 28 this week.

I've been working on getting more patient with my training - I am confident I can work through the ladders and press a 32 eventually (and then maybe a 40 one day), who cares if it takes 2 months or 3 months or more.

@slnm I did it by the book for 20 and 24 kg, I wouldn't really look to alter it - it might look like slow progress but it works well and gradually builds the volume, importantly your body seems to get ready for the volume and should be less risk of injury (so far at least).
I'm right at the end of the 24 kg ladders now - I have been adding single 28s into the bottom rung, will switch to 3x3 ladders of 28 this week.

I've been working on getting more patient with my training - I am confident I can work through the ladders and press a 32 eventually (and then maybe a 40 one day), who cares if it takes 2 months or 3 months or more.

Trust the process and do the work you will get it :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom