all posts post new thread

Barbell CAP barbell/dumbbell end nut size (sleeve assembly)?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
I have CAP barbell and loadable dumbbells. The end nut on one of the dumbbells has come loose. I monkeyed it back in though not tight because I don't have a socket wrench that fits properly. I emailed the company but my past experience with them is that they almost never answer the phone or return email queries.

Anybody know what size socket I need to get?
Also, is the threaded bit all the way through the bar so the other nut needs to be locked in place to tighten the loose one?

Thank you

Take it to your local hardware store. Sizing varies, even from the same manufacturer. For my various barbells here, I have at least 4 different sizes of allen key.

-S-

Thank you Sean and Steve. Unfortunately, I've had similar experience to Steve with other "hardware" being non-standard even from same mfg

@GeoffreyLevens
In my experience, bars like that are going to constantly come loose no matter what.

Finger tight is fine, just retighten as necessary. It's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks Steve W. I did find that rather difficult because they are recessed with not a lot of clearance. I used a socket that didn't fit and sort of wiggled it around. It does seem to be staying put for now.

Bring the bolt with you to the store, and you can buy thread locking compound to help it stay on. Blue LocTite is best for general purpose fasteners.

Easier to bring the whole dumbbell handle than just the bolt. Playing with what i"ve got it's in the ball park of 17mm

+1 to Geoff's suggestion of LocTite. The blue works for some things and if it still comes loose, you can always go for the red.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom