all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cap Kettlebells on sale from Walmart.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LejonBrames

Level 5 Valued Member
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Cast-Iron-Kettlebell/39603614

Thought I'd share this with anyone who might need a double of a size they have or a light mobility bell.

I generally opt for higher quality(Kettlebell Kings) for my heavier 'life bells'(bells that will be used for the rest of my life), but I'm picking up a few of these for my girlfriend and sister to get them into KB training.

10lb for $7.80 - 80lb for $62.40

and everything in between, incremented by 5lb up to 50lb, then incremented by 10lb from 50lb - 80lb.

Thanks for the heads up, those are really low prices! By they way, Kettlebell Kings is actually having their 5th year anniversary sale as well.

Cap kettlebells have about 1/4" of bondo underneath a coat of rustoleum. Chips easy and creates huge craters. This creates a bad situation on the handles

Good to know. I'm just getting a few 15's for light mobility work, I wouldn't buy or necessarily recommend these for daily drivers.

Cap kettlebells have about 1/4" of bondo underneath a coat of rustoleum. Chips easy and creates huge craters. This creates a bad situation on the handles
I have a friend who regularly beats the crap out of a pair of 50# Cap bells, no muss, no fuss, no errors and nobody out.
Also I ordered these for my brother, they sell them in bundles of 3, it worked out to around .80 cents lb and I use them when in Sedona, they're showing no signs of any chips, cracks etc. and do the job.
For cheap beginner bells to start with I highly recommend them, they can always be sold for what you paid for them..
Just sayin.. :)

They seem very solid. My only gripe or I would have already bought several - they are short between the handle and bell. At light weight no problem but for heavier weights the load sits too high up on the forearm.

That's the problem I had with them. I sold them and got a couple of Rogue's KBs.

They seem very solid. My only gripe or I would have already bought several - they are short between the handle and bell. At light weight no problem but for heavier weights the load sits too high up on the forearm.
Yes that's my gripe with them too, other than that I was pretty impressed with the price/quality ratio. So far my brother hasn't complained about them and he has big hands and thick wrists, I suppose he thinks they're all like that. For out of town beater bells they work, For daily drivers not so much..

Keep in mind that CAP has several models of KBs. The "competition" style (cast iron, not what anyone else considers competition style) are powder coated and so probably won't have the chipping/divot problem that @Papa Georgio mentioned. I have not used these personally, but they don't look obviously bad.

The CAP enamel-coated KBs definitely have this problem, plus the surface is too smooth to get a good grip and does not take chalk well. I have tried these and they suck -- stay away.

The link in the OP is for a third kind of CAP KBs, with a hammertone finish. I have not used these, but have used lots of CAP weight plates with a hammertone finish. I would be wary of these, as the finish on the plates does chip and leave big divots.

STRENGTH - Kettlebells - CAP Barbell

Keep in mind that CAP has several models of KBs. The "competition" style (cast iron, not what anyone else considers competition style) are powder coated and so probably won't have the chipping/divot problem that @Papa Georgio mentioned. I have not used these personally, but they don't look obviously bad.

The CAP enamel-coated KBs definitely have this problem, plus the surface is too smooth to get a good grip and does not take chalk well. I have tried these and they suck -- stay away.

The link in the OP is for a third kind of CAP KBs, with a hammertone finish. I have not used these, but have used lots of CAP weight plates with a hammertone finish. I would be wary of these, as the finish on the plates does chip and leave big divots.

STRENGTH - Kettlebells - CAP Barbell
Looks like the ones I got aren't produced anymore, the hammertone ones do suck and I haven't seen the 'competition' line until now, I'd be interested to see them up close. From the pics the distance between handle and bell is still too short.

I have 5 Body Solid ones that have the enamel. They do chip. The enamel does get slick if you're doing long sets of snatches.

I've had mine for 9 years, they do the trick, but I like the other bells I have with a little grit better.

I would get the highest rated one and would pay more than $1.50 /lb. TOPS.

Just cracks me up that people pay $2 and up per lb. Waste of money

Anyone familiar with Extreme Monkey competition bells. Best price per pound where I am. Looking to upgrade a bit from the mishmash I have, plus go to a higher weight.

I had this problem with some bells I bought (not CAP) and they were too painful to use. The kettlebell was resting on the wrist joint instead of the forearm bone and the pain was too much to keep good form. And this was for TGU, I wouldnt dare doing snatches or cleans where the KB flips. I had to return them.

If these kettlebells have the same issue, I would be careful buying them without testing them

My first bell (35lb) is this kind, and I picked up a second 35lb on a sale like this a year or so ago. They are "just ok" for grinds, but I agree with all comments about ballistics. My 32kg is also CAP (it was a gift) and it made my S&S progress take longer than if I had a Rogue or Kettlebell Kings bell like my 24kg and 28kg, which have perfect handles IMO. When I work up to 32kg A+A snatching I'll need a better bell.

But - at this price they are good enough for beginners or a "mobility bells" or to make a pair for double grinds.

I had this problem with some bells I bought (not CAP)

What brand was it?

I bought a CAP kettlebell last month, my first kb ever, and I couldn't hold it racked or overhead. So I bought some from another brand, Diamond Pro, which is definitely better in that regard but didn't actually solve the problem. I have been unsure whether it's the KB that's the problem or the way I'm using it.

What brand was it?

I bought a CAP kettlebell last month, my first kb ever, and I couldn't hold it racked or overhead. So I bought some from another brand, Diamond Pro, which is definitely better in that regard but didn't actually solve the problem. I have been unsure whether it's the KB that's the problem or the way I'm using it.
It was a local manufacturer in Argentina. Is the bell sitting on the wrist joint? If so, you can measure the distance from the bell to the inside of the handle, it should be about 7 cm for a 24 kg kettlebell.

Anyone familiar with Extreme Monkey competition bells. Best price per pound where I am. Looking to upgrade a bit from the mishmash I have, plus go to a higher weight.

I have 2. They have distinct similarities to KK. Wouldn't be surprised if they were from the same facility, but different parameters. QA is not all that, I had to sand a handle. Coating chips easy. I definitely suggest KK or other premium shop for heavier bells.

I have both Kettlebell Kings and Rogue cast-iron 24kg bells. The handles and overall quality are great but if comfort is a priority, I definitely prefer my KK competition bells (except for goblet squats).

Is the bell sitting on the wrist joint?

It sits on my wrist when my wrist is straight. By allowing the hand to bend back, I can rest it more comfortably further down, but Pavel said don't do that.

it should be about 7 cm for a 24 kg kettlebell.

I just measured it at 6.4cm on a 32kg. (Not sure my measurement technique was completely accurate but it's close to that.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom