all posts post new thread

Nutrition Carbs?

brent_corkins

Level 4 Valued Member
So lately I’ve been IF and coconut oil during the day and having a a post workout proteins shake with fruit and then a big meal . I’m trying to limit carbs to only days I “train “. The thing is I’m doing strong as hec back to basics kb swing program . And the aleks salkin 9min challenge and walking. Some days it only the challenge and walking.. so should I have carbs on days I do the challenge ? It’s marching , deadbugs , crawls and kb farmers carry .. ?

Just eating in a caloric deficit, no special tricks.
Calorie Deficit

Yes, the primary key to losing weight is being in a caloire deficit; burning more calorie than than you consume.

One of the best example of this is the...

Twinkie Diet

Mark Haub lost 27 lbs eating junk food.

Haub, MS Nutrition, teaching at Kansas State went on the Twinkie Diet to prove to his class that "Calories Count" when it come to weight loss.

Ironically in an interview with CNN news Haub stated that his cholesterol number improve on the Twinkie Diet. What Haub discovered is that weight loss even on a junk food diet works for improving cholesterol levels.

Haub went on to state that while he obtain great results, he does not recommend this approach.

Carbohydrate Intake And Weight Loss

Mosts individual who are substantially over weight are Insulin Resistant.

Insulin Resistance individualds don't process carbohydrate well., That meaning they tend store glucose (carbohydrates) as body fat.
Thus, Low Carbohydrate and Ketogenic Diets tend to be effective when combing with a Calorie Restricted Diet.

Let's look at some...

Weight Diets

1) The Atkins' Diet

This is not a Ketogenic Diet as some believe.

The diet startd with being a Ketogenic Diet with carbohydrates less than 50 grams. This is the "Introductory Period".

After a few week, indiviudald beging to gradually add carbohydrate back into their diet.

Individual use a weight scale to determine how they are doing; their sensitivity to carbohydrates.

Thus, Atkins is a Low Carbodhyrate Diet, not a Ketogenic Diet.

The Goldilocks Approach

If they are not gaining weight, they can slightly increase their carbohydrate intake.

If they are gaining weight, they need to slightly cut back on their carbohydrate intake.

Like Goldilocks they are looking for what is just right.

The Ketogenic Diet

This diet require individualds to maintain the follow macro intake.

1) Fats: 65% or higher

2) Protein: 25% or less

3) Carbohydrates: 59 gram per day or less.

Benefits

1) Satiety

One of the primary beneifts of this diet is Satiety.

It staves off hunger. You eat less.

2) Improves Insulin Sensitivity and Increase Fat Burning

The dramatic decrease in carbohydrate intake improves Insulin Sensitivity.

Secondly, the body shifts from using glucose (carbohydreates) to using ketones (body fat) for energy.

Due to a metabolic health issue, I have been on The Ketogenic Diet since July 2016.

The Ketogenic Diet along with Intermittent Fasting for conditions like mine are recommended.

Losing Weight On Keto

Due to my diagnosis, I initally over reacted.

I went on The Ketogenic Diet along with Intermittent Fasting (having two meals a day).

I unintentionally lost 17 lbs in 5 week.

That due to the dramatic decrease in calorie intake and my shift to burning ketone (body fat).

Losing weight wasn't my ojective.

Gaining Weight On Keto

After I calmed down, I decided that I wanted to gain the weight back.

However, due to my metabolic condition, I needed to remain on The Ketogenic Diet.

The only way to gain the weight back was to increase my caloie intake by consuming more fat.

In doing so, I gained the 17 lbs back.

This takes us back to...

Just eating in a caloric deficit,
Calories In, Calories Out

As Haub demonstrated, losing weight occurs even on a junk food diet.

As I learned both losing or gaining weight is possible on a Ketogenic Diet dependent on if you are in a Calorie Deficit or Surplus.

My Personal Perspective On Keto

It took me about a year to understand The Ketogenic Diet as well as how workout out on it

Strength Training on The Ketogenic Diet requires a different Trainng Protocol.

While I now enjoy and like The Ketogenic Diet, I do not recommend it.

Due to how restrictive The Ketogenic Diet is, most individual cannot maintain/stick with it.

Which brings us to...

Intermittent Fasting

Intermittent Fasting produces some of the same benefits as The Ketogenic Diet.

Intermittent Fasting allow individual to some extent to consume foods they like, as wells as junk some junk food.

Mark Haub demonstrated that weight loss occurs on a Twinkie/Junk Food Diet, providing you are in a Calorie Deficit.

The beauty of Intermittent Fasting is there is nothing to fix or count. Just skip a meal now and then.

Adaptative Thermogenics

This means that the body eventually adapts to a decrease in calorie intake.

It is a survival mechanism. It believe that you are starving and lowers your Metabolic Rate to keep you alive.

Think of it like making $4,000 month. Then getting a decrease in pay, making $3,.000 a month. Your decrease your spending so that you can life on your new lower income. Metaphorically speaking, that is exactly what your body does.

Research demonstrated this with the...

MATADOR Weight Loss Diet

The research demonstrated in appoximately two week, the body will adjust to a lower calorie intake. This means decreasing your Metabolic Rate to maintain your body weight.

The MATADOR Weight Loss Diet found that the key to maintaining long term weight loss is, Calorie Rotation.

After two week of a lower calorie intake, slightly increase your calorie intake; increase it approximately 20% more for two weeks.

A slight increase in body weight may occur. Don't painic.

After the two weeks increase, drop your calorie intake into a Calorie Deficit.

Doing so will decrease any weight you have gained and decrease your weight loss even more.

Altering your Calorie Intake every two weeks in this manner promotes long term weight loss.

Secondly, it give you a break and something to look forward, rewards you.

Back
Top Bottom