all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Cardio Can Increase Your Muscle Growth

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
In another blow to the idea that concurrent training is bad:

Turns out that capillary adaptations from cardio help hypertrophy if the muscles used are the same.

(about which I'm very pleased, given the crossover between weightlifting and rowing)

The video then suggests there may be value in using higher rep ranges for those muscles that aren't being hit by cardio.

Last edited:
I just watched a bunch of that guy's videos - he's a smart fella. Although many of his videos focus on hypertrophy, and Strongfirst focuses on strength, several of his videos provide good content on gaining strength. More importantly, he puts on a clinic on how to evaluate exercise science studies. If you like to nerd out on this type of stuff, I recommend watching all of the videos.

Turns out that capillary adaptations from cardio help hypertrophy if the muscles used are the same.

(about which I'm very pleased, given the crossover between weightlifting and rowing)

The video then suggests there may be value in using higher rep ranges for those muscles that aren't being hit by cardio.

New scientific researches seem to keep on correcting the conflicts that the western scientists had with bro science and my high school PE teachers.

I also kind of have the feeling that the new trends etc keep on validating SF approach.

Galpin mentioned the same or similar study in part 2 of Huberman/Galpin. Cycling was chosen for its low impact. One group cycled for 6 or so weeks prior to a hypertrophy split, one group didn't. Cycling group had better gains.

For arm hypertrophy;
Does this justify the use of battle ropes then?
Or would something like drumming be better?
Edit: or kayaking, as per post just now by @Anna C

I like the video and it may possibly be true. Yet when it comes to hypertrophy
I think bodybuilders have pretty much nailed it with a pump set.

For arm hypertrophy;
Does this justify the use of battle ropes then?
Or would something like drumming be better?
Edit: or kayaking, as per post just now by @Anna C

Well, I do rowing as my intense cardio.

It's leg dominant, but for upper body, most of the benefit seems to accrue to my back, not my biceps -- because the biceps are just little weeny muscles and nobody wins at rowing using their arms.

Also, nothing justifies the use of battle ropes. ;)

Last edited:
I recall @Al Ciampa postulated once that this might be one of the reasons I did so well with kettlebell training over my first few years of it -- coming from a background of kayaking and cycling.
Of course, you did "exercise" your microscopic focus, discipline, and superhuman attention to detail in developing outstanding form and following Al's prescription to the letter........

Just a casual observation over a few years.....;)

Strength Training's moped equivalent........

That might be unfair to mopeds. ;)

In summation, battle ropes have a limited amount of research behind them and that research is not particularly impressive.

Battle ropes are fun and promising, but certainly are overhyped relative to the evidence.

Last edited:
To be honest, though I was jesting about battle ropes, there is some sincerity in my query...
My father was diagnosed with Raynaud's disease and I exhibit the same symptoms of painfully cold hands in cold conditions.
I think the solution could be increased capillary density in my hands and arms. But I may be over simplifying things?

To be honest, though I was jesting about battle ropes, there is some sincerity in my query...
My father was diagnosed with Raynaud's disease and I exhibit the same symptoms of painfully cold hands in cold conditions.
I think the solution could be increased capillary density in my hands and arms. But I may be over simplifying things?
Could try box breathing.

@Pete L, the only thing I've found that helps my hands when they're cold outside is relaxing them and visualizing energy flowing to them. I know that might sound touchy-feely but it's the only thing that works for me, and having cold hands when outside in the winter is pretty common among we older, relatively thinly-built folks.

I've found that there is something of a "second wind" phenomenon in that if I do something like walk outside for a few minutes, then go inside for a few minutes, a second trip outside finds my hands much less cold. This works very well for me as I often take a 15-20 minute walk to a local grocery store, then do my shopping, and I'm always less cold on the walk home.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

@Pete L, the only thing I've found that helps my hands when they're cold outside is relaxing them and visualizing energy flowing to them. I know that might sound touchy-feely but it's the only thing that works for me, and having cold hands when outside in the winter is pretty common among we older, relatively thinly-built folks.

I've found that there is something of a "second wind" phenomenon in that if I do something like walk outside for a few minutes, then go inside for a few minutes, a second trip outside finds my hands much less cold. This works very well for me as I often take a 15-20 minute walk to a local grocery store, then do my shopping, and I'm always less cold on the walk home.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-
I ski quite a bit, also have Raynaud's, and nothing beats heated gloves for more extreme conditions. Absent those, I've found hypercapnic breath holds, a la Second Wind, to be quite helpful.

Back
Top Bottom