all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Cardio on Lifting Days or Different Days?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thing is doing 'hard cardio' to the point of cns fatigue is a different beast to 'easy cardio' which by implication is nowhere near any state of fatigue.
So seriously thrashing yourself to bits interferes with strength gains due to in part the recovery resources being compromised after that thrashing.
Absolutely. Get that.

For easy less demanding cardio though? No conflict, just less, manageable and recoverable? Zone 1 and 2 stuff, just 30-60 minutes or so.

Can't see how walking or easy aerobic anything would be a issue. Certainly to conserve energy, lift heavy, eat loads and sit on arse to maximise growth and to get big.....if that's the goal, then yeah ditch other activity.

As someone who keeps a close eye on cns fatigue with sprinting...I limit strength training for recovery. I do not mix strength. But roadwork, moderate strength training followed by easy run/walk? Totally different, no?

To compare the responses to doing strength (S) training on alternate days with endurance (E) training vs doing both types of training on the same days per week, ... E training was six to eight 3-min bouts of cycle ergometer exercise at 90-100% VO2max.
That's pretty tough work, isn't it ?

Thing is doing 'hard cardio' to the point of cns fatigue is a different beast to 'easy cardio' which by implication is nowhere near any state of fatigue.
So seriously thrashing yourself to bits interferes with strength gains due to in part the recovery resources being compromised after that thrashing.
Absolutely. Get that.

For easy less demanding cardio though? No conflict, just less, manageable and recoverable? Zone 1 and 2 stuff, just 30-60 minutes or so.

Can't see how walking or easy aerobic anything would be a issue. Certainly to conserve energy, lift heavy, eat loads and sit on arse to maximise growth and to get big.....if that's the goal, then yeah ditch other activity.

As someone who keeps a close eye on cns fatigue with sprinting...I limit strength training for recovery. I do not mix strength. But roadwork, moderate strength training followed by easy run/walk? Totally different, no?
To quote the abstract:
E training was six to eight 3-min bouts of cycle ergometer exercise at 90-100% VO2max.
(Edit: @Adachi was faster)

Inigo San Millan has his Tour de France cyclists do some easy work in bike trainers AFTER hard stages during the Tour, because easy endurance work helps with lactate clearance and therefore with recovery. So Z1 and maybe even Z2 work could even be beneficial if done after a demanding session.

However, more intense conditioning should not be done as a finisher, according to this study.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom