all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Cardio&weights

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Hello,

Weight & cardio...why not a high dose of swings:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Swings are without any doubt the best cardio. But the discussion about cardio and power are usually existing. I am doing swings, but it was interesting to hear more opinions about this point

2.) Perform cardio after resistance training.
The Issue With This

Perfoming Cardio after Resistance Training is contra-indicated.

Cardio after Resistance Training mimizes or negates the anabolic and strength effect that was elicited with the Resistance Training Session.

More Indepth Information

The informaition in this post goes into a bit more depth.

Cardio Prior To Resisstance Training

Research demonstrated, noted in the above, that performing Cardio prior to Resistance Training ensured the anabolic/strength was more effective.

With that said, the issue with performing Cario and then Resistance Training takes something out of you.
1.) Train them at different times at least 4-6 hours apart (preferably 6-8 hours).

Otherwise, it's ideal to train them on separate days.

More Effetive Approach

As you stated, either separating Cardio and Reisistance Training a few hour apart or train them inpendently on different days is a better approach.

Swings are without any doubt the best cardio. But the discussion about cardio and power are usually existing. I am doing swings, but it was interesting to hear more opinions about this point

I have plenty of doubts that swings are the best cardio. ;)

Personally, I rank rowing higher. It uses more of the body than swings.

Last edited:
Hello,

I tend to be with @watchnerd here. Rowing may use more muscle than. I'd also think about C&J, at least to a degree:

Overall, conditioning is a pretty vague term in my opinion. In the boxing gym, plenty of people only perform interval training. However, they just "stop" during the off-season. When they start again, they lost a big portion of their conditioning. However, the ones who do even only regular running 2-3x a week do not have a hard time to start again.

From a general perspective, regardless the tool one may use, if we think about conditioning in terms of cardiac adaptation, one may need to perform 70-80% of LISS and 20-30% of Z5.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello
What is your opinion about cardio and weights workouts that are included in the same workout, or on the same day, but in different times. The same question about stretching and strengthening on the same day. Is it really necessary to stretch before and after strength training.
I am a fan of combining cardio and strength.
Good thing is stretching before bedtime: relaxes and makes starting the day more supple.

Yes, kettlebells are a perfect way, but i am asking about gym livers, that start from a half an hour treadmill, and then proceed to weights, and finish with another half an hour of cardio. From my point of view is not a proper way, bcs actually they cannot really succeed in any of them

Screenshot_20220612-113142_Polar Flow.jpg
A mix of ramping up into glycolysis and getting back into aerobic mode. I kept my hr @130 bpm on the crosstrainer the pace is relatively slow the first 15 min into it and starts to be getting faster until the end.

1656233986217.png
15 min warm up to bring the aerobic system online which helps the following 'SnatchTabata': 10r of hardstyle reps take around 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds rest. Repeated 8 times. As it is no 'Tabata' but the timing scheme is. Here I quickly go into anaerobic clycolysis. Then 2 min of rest then doing 6 sets of 5 presses otm followed by 3 DL singles otm. Then immediately back to the Crosstrainer keeping tempo pretty constant and it takes again around 15 minutes until hr starts to drop (at the same tempo here).
Starting aerobically, ending aeribically. The aerobic system is the recovery system. Proves that I can do it quite a few days in a row. Aim is just to keep on training consistently having 'a dose' pretty much everyday and painting nice hr graphs.

The Issue With This

Cardio after Resistance Training mimizes or negates the anabolic and strength effect that was elicited with the Resistance Training Session.

More Indepth Information

The informaition in this post goes into a bit more depth.

Cardio Prior To Resisstance Training

Research demonstrated, noted in the above, that performing Cardio prior to Resistance Training ensured the anabolic/strength was more effective.

With that said, the issue with performing Cario and then Resistance Training takes something out of you.

More Effetive Approach

As you stated, either separating Cardio and Reisistance Training a few hour apart or train them inpendently on different days is a better approach.

From personal experience and coaching clients for nearly 20 years, I disagree with that research.

If I'm going to perform cardio in the same session as strength or hypertrophy (which I rarely do), it's always after (and not for long: 15-30 minutes).

And I believe there is a lot more research recommending that than the other way around.

The Issue With This

As soon as I finish a resistance training session (after cool down and mobility), I eat.

If I'm doing cardio, can't eat.

If I'm going to perform cardio in the same session as strength or hypertrophy (which I rarely do), it's always after (and not for long: 15-30 minutes).
Rest Period Between Strength and Cardio

Talking a rest period between a Strength and Cardio Session is one method the circumbents or mimimize the negative effects.

You essentially note that in your post...
1.) Train them at different times at least 4-6 hours apart (preferably 6-8 hours).

Otherwise, it's ideal to train them on separate days.
Secondly, the type of Cardio is one of the determinate factors.
And I believe there is a lot more research recommending that than the other way around.
Please provide it.

Thanks. I'm using an Assault Airbike. Excellent cross-training (and cross-lateral) tool, similar to your elliptical in a sense.
Kind of similar yes. But the airbike can be abused in ways the crosstrainer can not - it can abuse you in seconds.

Do I see a rowing erg in the corner?
Keen eye...I like using it in darker months. Annoying thing is that my left lower leg gets numb on my usual 10k's: to circumvent that a sporty 2k is a bad alternative haha...

Keen eye...I like using it in darker months. Annoying thing is that my left lower leg gets numb on my usual 10k's: to circumvent that a sporty 2k is a bad alternative haha...

I hear you -- my butt can go numb on 10k erg rows.

I don't have the same problem on the water, though, so I save my longer rows for outdoors, when possible.

Back in the 90's, at a gym I trained at for around 7 years, there was a guy I would see there all the time.
He would run on the tread mill for a half hour, then lift for a half hour like three times a week. This went on for years,
and he never changed! Never got stronger or bigger or anything.
I would go in and do 5 or 10 minutes on a bike to warm up, then go lift. Steadily over the years I got bigger and stronger.
Now I'm in my fifties, and I do KBs and BW in the mornings before work, and karate\cardio after work.
But I still believe a warm up is good for strength training. Just don't over do it.

Al

Back in the 90's, at a gym I trained at for around 7 years, there was a guy I would see there all the time.
He would run on the tread mill for a half hour, then lift for a half hour like three times a week. This went on for years,
and he never changed! Never got stronger or bigger or anything.

Cardio killed his gainz for real, bro.

Back
Top Bottom