all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Cardio&weights

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Tali

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello
What is your opinion about cardio and weights workouts that are included in the same workout, or on the same day, but in different times. The same question about stretching and strengthening on the same day. Is it really necessary to stretch before and after strength training.

If it's modest cardio, I've never found it to be an issue if they're spaced far apart.

I can do a 2000m row on the water in the morning and a weightlifting training session in the evening just fine.

But....

If I do a lot of 10k rowing, it absolutely interferes with my normal level of resistance training. I have to dial the intensity and volume of resistance training down.

As for stretching:

I do mobility work every time I lift anything that is moderately heavy (>50% 1 RM) for my hips or shoulders, and mobility work after, too.

But I don't find it necessary if the intensity is light for me (e.g. body weight squats) or it's an isolation exercise.

As someone who has very little time to train, I have about 1 hour in the am from 3:45am to 4:45 am I have to get my cardio and strength training done at the same time. That’s why I love kettlebells because they allow for both….double cleans and presses have a damn good cardio effect as well as strength and explosiveness…I also have to stretch and do mobility becuase I commute so if I don’t my hips tighten up like crazy. Everyone is different but I love starting my day with all 3.

If it's modest cardio, I've never found it to be an issue if they're spaced far apart.

I can do a 2000m row on the water in the morning and a weightlifting training session in the evening just fine.

But....

If I do a lot of 10k rowing, it absolutely interferes with my normal level of resistance training. I have to dial the intensity and volume of resistance training down.

As for stretching:

I do mobility work every time I lift anything that is moderately heavy (>50% 1 RM) for my hips or shoulders, and mobility work after, too.

But I don't find it necessary if the intensity is light for me (e.g. body weight squats) or it's an isolation exercise.
Thank you!

As someone who has very little time to train, I have about 1 hour in the am from 3:45am to 4:45 am I have to get my cardio and strength training done at the same time. That’s why I love kettlebells because they allow for both….double cleans and presses have a damn good cardio effect as well as strength and explosiveness…I also have to stretch and do mobility becuase I commute so if I don’t my hips tighten up like crazy. Everyone is different but I love starting my day with all 3.
Yes, kettlebells are a perfect way, but i am asking about gym livers, that start from a half an hour treadmill, and then proceed to weights, and finish with another half an hour of cardio. From my point of view is not a proper way, bcs actually they cannot really succeed in any of them

Yes, kettlebells are a perfect way, but i am asking about gym livers, that start from a half an hour treadmill, and then proceed to weights, and finish with another half an hour of cardio. From my point of view is not a proper way, bcs actually they cannot really succeed in any of them
I used to train like this and I would treadmill first, then lift. Until I realized I should be lifting first then do some cardio after…then I realized I could get everything I need done in one shot and never looked back

What is your opinion about cardio and weights workouts that are included in the same workout, or on the same day, but in different times.
Order of Exercise

This provides some information.

Is it really necessary to stretch before and after strength training.

After

Connective Tissue is like String Cheese.

It is more pliable when warm; after a workout than before.

Last edited:
I know we all care and love about strength training, but I've said this before...if you don't get paid to be physically fit, it probably doesn't make much of a difference in your life. If volumes are really high it will matter more than if volumes are low, but this goes back to "are you paid to do this". Do both for different health benefits as time permits. Just my two cents

Hello,

Weight & cardio...why not a high dose of swings:

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know we all care and love about strength training, but I've said this before...if you don't get paid to be physically fit, it probably doesn't make much of a difference in your life. If volumes are really high it will matter more than if volumes are low, but this goes back to "are you paid to do this". Do both for different health benefits as time permits. Just my two cents

Medals and trophies are pay, right?

If you're just training for health you can certainly mix all three in a single session or broken up in the same day. If you're focused on a specific attribute or event then keep the goal the goal as Dan John say's. Some of my favorite sessions are when I don't have an objective and I blend in multiple modalities in a continuous block. This morning I slowly jogged over to my local pool, swam for 20 minutes easy, walked a mile to a park for pull-ups, dips and lunges, then walked home. A perfect "junk" session that cleared my mind.

You can definitely gain aerobic (cardio) conditioning from resistance training alone.

That's all I did when I competed at a high level in obstacle course races from 2011-2017. I performed ZERO running or traditional cardio in my training and still finished in the top 3 of my age group (over several age groups from 36-42). All of my training was resistance based (kettlebells, bodyweight, sandbags, med balls, bands, etc.).

Looking back, I realized I was performing High Intensity Repeat Training (HIRT) and A+A before I knew what they were along with strength/hypertrophy training using full-body circuits 90% of the time (supersets made up the other 10%) using timed sets (30/30, 20/40, 15/45, 40/20, etc.) or Every Minute On The Minute (EMOTM) or other similar methods.

However, that may not work for you.

There are two options when performing resistance training and cardio on the same day:

1.) Train them at different times at least 4-6 hours apart (preferably 6-8 hours).
2.) Perform cardio after resistance training.

Otherwise, it's ideal to train them on separate days.

As for stretching, dynamic before a workout is fine. Otherwise, save the static stretching for post-workout (or off days).

Last edited:
Weight & cardio...why not a high dose of swings:

I know many people rave about the 10,000 swing program, but it's the worst thing I ever did!

I hated it! It was way too much volume (and I was used to high volume workouts and training several times a day), and it didn't improve anything for me. I followed it to the letter, and I came from a high level of strength, conditioning, and kettlebell experience going into it. I vowed to never do it again.

And I would never recommend it to a beginner. They're not ready for that many swings!

I know many people rave about the 10,000 swing program, but it's the worst thing I ever did!

I hated it! It was way too much volume (and I was used to high volume workouts and training several times a day), and it didn't improve anything for me. I followed it to the letter, and I came from a high level of strength, conditioning, and kettlebell experience going into it. I vowed to never do it again.

And I would never recommend it to a beginner. They're not ready for that many swings!
I did not come at it from a high volume, but I had just finished 4 weeks of timeless simple so I at least had a decent level of fitness. The 10,000 swing challenge was the best thing I ever did in a 5 week cycle, lol. I reduced fat, increased muscle, and my conditioning was through the roof! It was definitely a "peaking" type of fitness, but I would say it was likely the best shape I've been in during my adult life.

I did not come at it from a high volume, but I had just finished 4 weeks of timeless simple so I at least had a decent level of fitness. The 10,000 swing challenge was the best thing I ever did in a 5 week cycle, lol. I reduced fat, increased muscle, and my conditioning was through the roof! It was definitely a "peaking" type of fitness, but I would say it was likely the best shape I've been in during my adult life.

Just goes to show you how people respond differently with the same program!

It was good for you. Bad for me. :D

Yeah, I thought it sucked and was a waste of time when I tried it years ago.

Didn't make me stronger or develop hypertrophy or improve explosiveness.

Was no better at conditioning than any other methodology I've followed with similar work volumes / rest rates.

Gave me annoying little repetitive strain niggles and annoyances from doing the same dang thing over and over.

Made my mobility worse.

Would not recommend.

Yeah, I thought it sucked and was a waste of time when I tried it years ago.

Didn't make me stronger or develop hypertrophy.

Was no better at conditioning than any other methodology I've followed with similar work volumes / rest rates.

Gave me annoying little repetitive strain niggles and annoyances from doing the same dang thing over and over.

Made my mobility worse.

Would not recommend.
Dang! That sucks.

Yep, for some of us, it's a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom