all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cardio with Kettlebells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Twas a good book, Viking Warrior Conditioning for those interested. I never ran the full protocol though.
I got to 72 sets of 15:15 with 16kg at 8 reps and stopped saying “I’ll get 80 tomorrow” and from that 72 sets onwards it just bored me to death frankly. So I stopped doing it. I’ve resurrected it a few times but I’m kinda happy to terminate at 40 sets.

I got to 72 sets of 15:15 with 16kg at 8 reps and stopped saying “I’ll get 80 tomorrow” and from that 72 sets onwards it just bored me to death frankly. So I stopped doing it. I’ve resurrected it a few times but I’m kinda happy to terminate at 40 sets.
dang....ya they are definitely longer sessions. I ran the Ciampa program listed above and wanted to do VWC next but needed to change it up.

dang....ya they are definitely longer sessions. I ran the Ciampa program listed above and wanted to do VWC next but needed to change it up.
I gave that book to someone. It’s like £400 on Amazon UK right now. Absurd money.

I didn't realize that was a thing he said. Uncle Joe (wait... wrong joe?) has been approval there! ;)
Lol, ya he means it more as a philosophy of being able to change your stance on something over time and not get “canceled” for it basically. Not just training. Although, He recently stated that he’s adopted Pavel’s training methodologies now. He put it super simply as; less reps per set, but way more sets.

Last edited:
philosophy of being able to change your stance on something over time and not get “canceled” for it basically

Not to mention that an individual can change how they think is best to train over a decade.

Love this and 100% agree.... Barbell Medicine has a great clip here on "Updating your Practice in Health and Fitness."

How heavy and how many reps is recommended?

Variables

Ted, it is hard to say without more information.

There are a lot of variables in determining how heavy and the number or repetitions.

Training Factors

Just common sense that you already know

1) Weight and Reps

a) If the weight goes up, the repetition go down.

b) If the repetition go up, the weight goes down.

The same applies to...

2) Rest Periods Between Sets

a) When Short Rest Period are taken between Sets, less Weight and fewer Repetition can be performed.

The Tabata Protocol provides one of the Shortest Reset Periods there is; 20 Seconds of Work in a Set with 10 Seconds of Rest.

b) When Long Rest Periods are taken between Sets, more Weight and more Repetition can be performed.

Supra-Maximal Intensity Training, SMIT, provides one of the longest Rest Periods; up to 3 minutes taken between Sets.

Objective

How heavy and how many Repetition is determined by what your Objective is.

With that in mind, ...

What is your objective?

Variables

Ted, it is hard to say without more information.

There are a lot of variables in determining how heavy and the number or repetitions.

Training Factors

Just common sense that you already know

1) Weight and Reps

a) If the weight goes up, the repetition go down.

b) If the repetition go up, the weight goes down.

The same applies to...

2) Rest Periods Between Sets

a) When Short Rest Period are taken between Sets, less Weight and fewer Repetition can be performed.

The Tabata Protocol provides one of the Shortest Reset Periods there is; 20 Seconds of Work in a Set with 10 Seconds of Rest.

b) When Long Rest Periods are taken between Sets, more Weight and more Repetition can be performed.

Supra-Maximal Intensity Training, SMIT, provides one of the longest Rest Periods; up to 3 minutes taken between Sets.

Objective

How heavy and how many Repetition is determined by what your Objective is.

With that in mind, ...

What is your objective?
Thank you.

I dont really know what to aim at.
Im normally running and just want some general everyday conditioning.

Then I’ve picked it up entirely wrong. Ach fair play to him. It is an industry this fitness lark and he needs to get paid. Is he anti kettlebells Now or is it just the idea you can get a healthy heart doing swings and snatches etc?
@Kev, at StrongFirst, we try not to say anyone else is wrong, just that we know that what we do works. I humbly request that you try to follow, at least little bit, that approach to criticizing others here on our forum.

Thank you.

-S-

LISS Jogging is normally my go-to exercise for cardiovascular conditioning. Unfortunately, that will no longer be an option. For work and related reasons, I'll have to do my conditioning at home from now on. Space is limited, but I have a set of KB's ranging from 4 to 32 kilos. Can someone recommend a good Cardiovascular Conditioning program with Kettlebells?

The program doesn't have to include much strength stimulus; I have access to good gyms on my days off, and heavy barbells and dumbbells will always be the best option for developing max strength. The program should focus on cardio, work capacity etc.

My first thought was, of course, Simple and Sinister, but I'm interested in hearing other people's vews.

Thanks. :)
@NormanOsborn, you can do what I tried for the first time this morning - do a kettlebell ballistic in a way that keeps your HR in Zone 2 or just barely touches Zone 3 briefly. Based on my admittedly poor understanding of how all this works, this is "good" cardio. I did sets of 5 x 1h swings on the minute, and took an extra minute every 4 so it was kind of a roll-your-own Steve&Freides/Q&D/A+A/S&S training model.

00:00 5 left
01:00 5 right
02:00 5 left
03:00 5 right
rest

05:00 - start repeating the above, considering the above a "series" and performing a few series - I did 2 of those then switched to 2h swings with heavier weight for a third series before calling it a day at 60 swings in total.

-S-

@Kev, at StrongFirst, we try not to say anyone else is wrong, just that we know that what we do works. I humbly request that you try to follow, at least little bit, that approach to criticizing others here on our forum.

Thank you.

-S-
Where do he say/write that he is wrong in anything?

Thank you.

-S-
I never said he was wrong. I said I picked him up wrong. I was actually speaking to this author when he changed his mind about things he previously published. I thought I recalled in that conversation that he felt the same about rowing. If anyone was wrong it was me in picking him up wrong. I do t believe I criticised Mr Jay in any fashion either.

Thank you.

-S-
Either way, it would have been better handled via PM, IMHO.
Well maybe so but I never criticised the guy. I recommended his actual protocols. I did say £400 for a paperback of his book was absurd but that’s 3rd party sellers.

I never said he was wrong. I said I picked him up wrong. I was actually speaking to this author when he changed his mind about things he previously published. I thought I recalled in that conversation that he felt the same about rowing. If anyone was wrong it was me in picking him up wrong. I do t believe I criticised Mr Jay in any fashion either.

That's the way I took it... And to my knowledge you've accurately characterized the change in philosophy that occurred. With that being fine too, as we discussed. And all being relevant to the subject of "cardio with kettlebells". (This topic has also come up in many past threads, IIRC).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom