all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "Cardio"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted 20758

Hi guys

I normally run and do BW training. But the last year my legs and feet have made some kind of trouble and i was looking for other ways to do my cardio training.
I dont do cardio for one special reason but like to be in shape.

Are there good solutions to cardio at home with only KB and BW training?
I havent read mush about it yet but maybe in the future Pavels Q&D or A+A could do the trick?

Hi Ted,
whats your KB experience? Starting from this you can opt for different options.
I personally think that S&S is a good start to stay in shape and get some good conditioning.
I experimented a bit with alternating Burpees and Swings OTM to get a little bit more "cardio" training than with pure S&S. Of course you can also do A+A as an alternative. I would not recommend Q&D if you are not well experienced with KBs as it is recommended for experienced athletes.
You might also have a look at the newest article by Pavel if you are accustomed to the Clean&Jerk:

Best regards and power to you!

but like to be in shape.
This of course has many meanings to many people…

Besides running…in the realm of locomotive endurance… rucking / hiking, cycling, swimming, rowing, box steps, etc..

Some people turn to things like swings and snatches as a form of cardio

But more importantly I would explore why your ‘legs and feet have made some kind of trouble’,,,,

But more importantly I would explore why your ‘legs and feet have made some kind of trouble’,,,,
Im working on that with at physician.

I know this with being in shape and the meaning for me is just so i can handle my day better. You know lift the furniture when wife is cleaning and so on(i cross my finger she isnt on this forum) ;-)
Help friends moving to a new house.
So not specific shape for any special.

Last edited by a moderator:
A&A swings and then snatches when you acheive a level of strength are ideal for your purposes.
A&A swings and then snatches when you acheive a level of strength are ideal for your purpose
Sounds like something i have to look into.
But then i have to buy the book?
Hi Ted,
whats your KB experience? Starting from this you can opt for different options.
I personally think that S&S is a good start to stay in shape and get some good conditioning.
I experimented a bit with alternating Burpees and Swings OTM to get a little bit more "cardio" training than with pure S&S. Of course you can also do A+A as an alternative. I would not recommend Q&D if you are not well experienced with KBs as it is recommended for experienced athletes.
You might also have a look at the newest article by Pavel if you are accustomed to the Clean&Jerk:

Best regards and power to you!
S&S will bore me to dead.

Reactions: Kev
Yesterday i found some post in here suggesting som kind of stepup protocol for this kind of training. I cant find it right now. But it sound interesting.

I know this with being in shape and the meaning for me is just so i can handle my day better. You know lift the furniture when wife is cleaning and so on(i cross my finger she isnt on this forum) ;-)
Help friends moving to a new house.
So not specific shape for any special.
I haven't found "cardio" necessary for the kind of fitness you describe. Strength training is what takes care of lifting and moving furniture.

-S-

Hello,

For the "average situation" you are talking about, I globally agree with @Steve Freides Assuming you are not completely out of shape or have some sort of sickness, lifting and walking could be enough.

However, I'd just add a few words about "cardio" (meaning LSD):
A baseline level of aerobic fitness is always useful, if only for recovery purposes. Indeed, lifting furnitures all day long to help your friend will eventually tax your recovery. Especially considering the fact that furnitures are usually "harder" to carry than a regular weight (kb, bb). I have noticed that I recover way faster between lifting sets since I've incorporated LSD into my routine.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' @TedDK, I have found that kettlebell swings or snatches are a fine addition to a program to increase stamina at vigorous activities. While long, easy distance will always be a nice addition, the combination of grinds and ballistics is a fine minimalist approach that offers great benefits.

-S-

@pet' @TedDK, I have found that kettlebell swings or snatches are a fine addition to a program to increase stamina at vigorous activities. While long, easy distance will always be a nice addition, the combination of grinds and ballistics is a fine minimalist approach that offers great benefits.

-S-
Today my training is 3 times a week.

Squat version
row in rings
pushup version

10x10 swings.

If im not running the other days i maybe doing swings theese days instead.

Hello,

If one wants to keep swinging as the main conditioning exercice, below is an old article which states that 100-200 swings a few times a week is plenty:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks.
Something like that i was looking at.

I’ve been dealing with a bunch of issues - torn meniscus, heel spurs, patellar tendonitis. Have adopted a standard 15 minute jumprope HIIT routine that results in a lot less wear and tear.

Mentally not very pleasant but a good stand-in for few while I heal up a bit.

I’ve been dealing with a bunch of issues - torn meniscus, heel spurs, patellar tendonitis. Have adopted a standard 15 minute jumprope HIIT routine that results in a lot less wear and tear.

Mentally not very pleasant but a good stand-in for few while I heal up a bit.
Was all of those caused by running? I’ve just took up running at 42 and I utterly blow at it. I’m on a program that I think Mr Furman posted by someone else in this very forum. I’m enjoying it but I don’t want to end up with wrecked joints down the line. Is this an inevitability of running?

Was all of those caused by running? I’ve just took up running at 42 and I utterly blow at it. I’m on a program that I think Mr Furman posted by someone else in this very forum. I’m enjoying it but I don’t want to end up with wrecked joints down the line. Is this an inevitability of running?
Running isnt dangerous if starting up slowly and use common sense.
Listen to your body.

The most problems occure when trying to either beat your own record or run alot longer in short time.

Running isnt dangerous if starting up slowly and use common sense.
Listen to your body.

The most problems occure when trying to either beat your own record or run alot longer in short time.
Yeah I’m on week 3 of that program and it started as run 1 minute, walk 4 x 6. Today it was run 3, walk 2 x 6 so it’s slow and steady. I’m not into marathons or any of that I’d just like to actually be able to move my carcass for an hour without looking like the nutty professor running stairs. I ain’t Sherman Clumps size by any measure but I am over 200lbs of mostly muscle and running just kills me frankly. But if you suck at something it’s a good indication what you need eh?

Pretty sure the heelspurrs were from too much jumprope and not enough ankle and calf flexibility. The torn meniscus just happened out of the blue, I couldn’t tell you when or how it happened. Patellar tendonitis flare up I suspect was from compensating for the torn meniscus.

I used to run a good bit years ago, I never had any issues I could blame on it. I did most of my running cross country, running on pavement I can’t really speak to that.

Reactions: Kev
Pretty sure the heelspurrs were from too much jumprope and not enough ankle and calf flexibility. The torn meniscus just happened out of the blue, I couldn’t tell you when or how it happened. Patellar tendonitis flare up I suspect was from compensating for the torn meniscus.

I used to run a good bit years ago, I never had any issues I could blame on it. I did most of my running cross country, running on pavement I can’t really speak to that.
Shize. It’s mostly pavements I’m pounding and when fatigue sets in pounding is the operative word.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom