all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "Cardio"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If you have a good grasp on kettle bells and the correct form I would do Q&D 3 days a week and get a good 3-5 mile walk/ruck in on the other days. I do this exact program and have for around the last 2 years and have no gaps in cardio and great strength and conditioning. I do around 50-75 push ups a day and 75-100 bodyweight squats a day. All GTG throughout the day. With Q&D I usually do snatches with a 24 or 32 and swings with a 32 or 36. On swings days I skip push ups since I do them throughout the day. If you go into the articles about 1.5 years back there's a great article about Q&D and a good 5-6 week program.

Based on your expressed need to not die of boredom, i would do this program:

The more work you fit into each 30s or the more you concentrate on maximal explosiveness = more cardio work. The author gives you the template to swap in and out movements to best suit your tools.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Strength Aerobics yet.

If you want "manual labor fitness," simply turn your push, pull, squat, swing routine into a long circuit and do it for 30-40 minutes, resting as needed.

-Two cents-
So instead og first the squat sets, so pushups and so on. Just do squat-push-up-rows-squat-push-up-rows and so on?

So actuelly a little like mention in my order thread with ladders.

Maybe you might want to check the Yt Channel „Lebe Stark“? Gregory has developed quite a lot and has a positive attitude towards Hardstyle as well as Kettlebell Sports. The timed workouts he offers together with Angie might fulfil your need for cardio as well as anti-boredom while still sticking to the no-BS classic moves. There is something magic in Sports technique for me… which doesn’t take away for the gratitude I feel towards Pavel for introducing me to Kettlebells via his awesome books.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Strength Aerobics yet.

If you want "manual labor fitness," simply turn your push, pull, squat, swing routine into a long circuit and do it for 30-40 minutes, resting as needed.

-Two cents-
Im a fan of Geoffs programs and i believe many of his programs works this Way then.

So instead og first the squat sets, so pushups and so on. Just do squat-push-up-rows-squat-push-up-rows and so on?

So actuelly a little like mention in my order thread with ladders.
Yes. You could also add the swings and do (in any order you like): squat, pushup, row, swing..... Unless you really like doing swings EMOM or something.

Hi Ted,
whats your KB experience? Starting from this you can opt for different options.
I personally think that S&S is a good start to stay in shape and get some good conditioning.
I experimented a bit with alternating Burpees and Swings OTM to get a little bit more "cardio" training than with pure S&S. Of course you can also do A+A as an alternative. I would not recommend Q&D if you are not well experienced with KBs as it is recommended for experienced athletes.
You might also have a look at the newest article by Pavel if you are accustomed to the Clean&Jerk:

Best regards and power to you!
This looks pretty cool. I just dont really get it.
You start with one rep pr arm pr min in 30 min?
Then two rep pr min and so on?

I do long continous sets of kettlebell snatches w. lighter weights and slower cadences (30-60mins). It is actually pretty easy on the joints if you're conditioned and technique is on point.

This looks pretty cool. I just dont really get it.
You start with one rep pr arm pr min in 30 min?
Then two rep pr min and so on?
You start with the left arm at 0:00 with 1 C+J and at 0:30 you are doing C+J with the right arm. Then you alternate between left and right side every 30s.
If you can do it for 30 min you add 1 Clean for every set: C+J+C every 30s with alternating sides until you achieve the 30 min again. Then C+J+C+J...
I have tried it this week and it was pretty fun and felt really good afterwards. Fresh, good posture...
Also, conditioning and breathing wise it felt similar to running. Not huffing and puffing but after about 15 min you feel the need for air which reminded me of a run at moderate intensity.

You start with the left arm at 0:00 with 1 C+J and at 0:30 you are doing C+J with the right arm. Then you alternate between left and right side every 30s.
If you can do it for 30 min you add 1 Clean for every set: C+J+C every 30s with alternating sides until you achieve the 30 min again. Then C+J+C+J...
I have tried it this week and it was pretty fun and felt really good afterwards. Fresh, good posture...
Also, conditioning and breathing wise it felt similar to running. Not huffing and puffing but after about 15 min you feel the need for air which reminded me of a run at moderate intensity.
I’m running the giant but I’m also itching to throw this into the mix too if I’m honest.

The one thing you left out, is that you have to be able to do it while passing the talk test for each set. If you fail the talk test when it's time for your next set, your day is done.

Hello,

If one wants to keep swinging as the main conditioning exercice, below is an old article which states that 100-200 swings a few times a week is plenty:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you All.

This article i believe is where i wanna start.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom