Carnivore and Very Low Carb

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Snowman, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Snowman

Snowman Quadruple-Digit Post Count

There's not a lot to say for most carnivore food (meat+heat=food), but there is some fun stuff you can do with eggs and dairy to introduce some variety, as well as up the the fat content for the day if the cheap meat in your area happens to be lean. I might throw some actual meat recipes up here later. Pemmican and biltong seem to be especially useful.

Cloud Bread-2-4 servings
    Ingredients
    3 eggs, separated
    Sour cream or softened cream cheese-3 Tbsp
    Cream of tartar-1/4 tsp *optional, it helps it stay puffier, but I never bother to use it.
    Spices-also optional

Preheat oven to 300.
    Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks.
    Thoroughly mix yolks and sour cream/cream cheese.
    Gently fold egg yolk mixture in eggs whites until combined.
    Spread mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet, muffin tins, etc.
    Bake for about 30 minutes; until the tops and edges start to turn brown.
    Allow to cool a little before attempting to eat. Use to sop up steak juice or as a carrier for butter.

Egg Nog-1 serving
    Ingredients:
    Heavy Cream- 2-3 Tbsp
    2 eggs or eggs yolks (the white increase the protein content and change the texture a bit)

Blend/mix it together thoroughly. Add a little water if it's too thick.

Sour egg cream-1 serving
    Ingredients:
    Sour Cream-3-4 Tbsp
    2 egg yolks

Mix together with a spoon and eat.

Billy59 and Phil12 like this.
  2. Snowman

Snowman Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Ok, I gotta share this one.
    Biltong

This stuff is actually pretty awesome. Probably the third most consumed form of meat in our home (after steak and ground beef). I really like it because my wife really likes it, and she absolutely hates jerky.

Biltong isn’t totally cured like corned beef, and it’s not totally dried like jerky. It’s a little bit of both. You end up (at least the way I make it) with a dried, cured outer layer of meat that acts as a microbe barrier for the uncured, undried meat in the center. The extra taste, texture, and moisture you get with this untreated center portion is, in my opinion, what makes biltong so much more enjoyable than jerky. It freezes well, and also lasts for a couple weeks in the fridge. I keep a gallon bag of it in our freezer and transfer it to a bowl in the fridge as needed, and also keep a bag in the freezer at school for days that I don’t bring a lunch. You can make meal out of by itself, or add in a boiled eggs or cheese. Or plants, I'm not a hater ;). It also dips well in butter, tallow, etc (which I only do with the really lean cuts, but to each their own).

Ingredients:
    Red meat of some kind (if you can eat it rare, you can use it for biltong)
    ***One of the awesome things about biltong is that you can use fattier, marbled cuts of meat. For jerky, you want lean meat, since the fat prevents it from drying out as thoroughly. Since we’re not drying the biltong as thoroughly as jerky anyways, it doesn’t matter. You can use literally any cut, and you can even leave a little layer of fat on the outside of the meat.***
    Salt
    Vinegar (optional, but encouraged)
    Other spices (optional)
    • Cut the meat into 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices. The thicker the slice, the more untreated meat you’ll have in the center. If you cut it too thin (less than 1/4 inch), you’ll end up with jerky instead of biltong. It doesn’t matter if you cut it with or against the grain, but cutting it with the grain will hold in a little more moisture.
    • Coat the meat in salt, vinegar, and spices of your choosing. I do pink salt with apple cider vinegar, and put the meat into a ceramic bowl one layer at a time. I generously salt and douse each layer, that way I get almost all the surface brined on the first pass.
    • Let the meat cure in a non-reactive bowl or bag in the fridge for a while. I usually go for 2-3 days. The longer the cure, the stronger the flavor, and you could probably go almost a week before you hit max flavor. Mix the meat around a couple times per day to ensure all the outside surfaces of the meat get cured. You can tell, because the meat will turn a little gray.
    • Dry the meat. I do this in my electric oven. I’ve heard bad things about using gas ovens for most drying (the gas isn’t burned well at low temps and flavors the meat). Obviously, a dehydrator would work pretty well for this step.
      • I stick a toothpick through the end of each piece and hang it from the top rack. For big pieces you might have to hold up each corner. You do not want any pieces touching or folded in on themselves, because those parts won’t dry.
      • Aim for around 140 degrees for about 12 hours, or lower heat for longer. Back in the day they just put it out in the sun when it was hot (so maybe 100 degrees). More than 160 degrees will start to cook the meat, so try to avoid that. Or, if your oven won't go lower than 180 degrees or something, you could just turn it on for t30 minutes and then let it sit for an hour, something like that.
      • I also like to put a wooden spoon in the oven door so it doesn’t close all the way, that way the moisture can escape.
      • Very important: Put something down to catch the fat drops that will inevitably drip down from the meat as it dries. Otherwise fat will fall on the stove element and trigger the smoke alarm and make it hard to see and your wife will rolls her eyes and do a facepalm and you’ll feel bad. And cough. I make a little tray out of tinfoil that has upturned edges to set on the bottom rack.
    You end up with strips or sheets of meat that, while not 100% shelf stable, are still very durable from a food safety and portability standpoint. I haven’t pushed the limits to see how long it will last, but it’s never gone bad in the fridge, and I’ve had no problems with leaving it at room temp for a day or two. The best way to eat biltong is to cut it crosswise into chunks and eat them like popcorn. Otherwise it can be tough, especially if you originally cut the meat with the grain. Just remember, once you cut it, you’ve broken it’s “packaging,” and thus reduced its shelf life.

This stuff is a staple in my house. Even if you’re the consummate omnivore, it’s a great way to take roast and steak quality meat and make it packable. Especially if you won’t have access to a refrigerator or microwave.

Ryan T, Phil12 and Adam R Mundorf like this.
  3. Ryan T

Ryan T More than 500 posts

Might try this on my wood pellet grill on the smoke setting. The temp stays between 150-160°

Snowman likes this.
  4. LoriLifts

LoriLifts More than 2500 posts

I may have to dust off my dehydrator and make some Biltong!

Snowman likes this.