all posts post new thread

Nutrition Carnivore, keto, or similar diets

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

For those of you following such a diet, if you slip up how long does it take to get back to normal? Can you actually feel the difference from say a slice of cheesecake?

One thing that helps with keto a lot is getting enjoyment out of doing one’s own cooking and baking, and then the whole issue of slipping up becomes much less of a problem. (Since you mentioned cheesecake, I will say that I had homemade keto pumpkin cheesecake for dessert tonight,)

When I’m in a ketogenic state, my energy levels are pretty steady, and a slip up can mess with my energy levels. But in the case of a slip up, intermittent fasting is a useful tool to get back into a ketogenic state.

When I'm in ketosis whatever I do in a single meal or session doesn't seem to matter that much. Even if I go out for (lots of) pizza and beer I am always back in ketosis at some stage the next day. If I just have a chocolate bar or piece of cake I'll test positive for ketones the next morning. The trouble starts if I follow a high carb meal with another high carb meal

I’m usually back to where I like to be within about 12 hours. Yesterday I had to large chocolate chip cookies, like really big, and woke a bit bloated and foggy. I’ll do IF until noon or a bit later and be right back to where my body works at it’s best. I don’t sweat ketone levels so much. I’m probably more low carb, under 100 grams, than I am keto.

I can feel the sugar rushing through my system. If you're somewhat experienced with low/zero carb you will know.

You can kickstart fat burning near instantly by consuming a good amount of saturated fat as documented by the croissant diet blog. I've experienced this by eating a chunk of butter enriched with (glycerol mono-) stearate.

if you slip up how long does it take to get back to normal?

Ketogenic Diet

If you have been on the Ketogenic Diet for a while and are Keto Adapted, it doesn't take you long to get back on track; as Luke and Shawn noted.

I have been on the Ketogenic Diet for over 4 years. I got off of it twice for a few days the first year. I had no problem quickly getting back on it.

For the last three years, I have maintained the Ketogenic Diet.

The reason that I am on the Ketogenic Diet is that I have a metabolic condition.

Carnivore Diet

This, as you know, it a high protein and fairly high fat diet. You may be able to achieve ketosis at times.

However, since this is high protein diet you end up converting protein into glucose (gluconeogenesis).

With that said, I know some people who have done well with it.

Restrictive Diets

Restrictive diets of this nature are hard for the most people to maintain.

The same is true of everything. The harder you make it the less likely someone it to maintain or stick with it.

New Years Diet Resolutions

This is one of the dumbest thing there is.

For some reason, one day out of the year, people feel the need to make changes in their lives and end up failing.

"On average, 80% of New Year's resolutions fail by the second week of February. "
Source: How to make your New Year’s resolutions last

Personal Perspective

It took me about a year to figure out the Ketogenic Diet. I am still learning.

As I have posted on this site, a different training protocol needs to be followed when on the Ketogenic Diet.

I am now at home and like the Keto Diet. However, ...

I Do Not Recommend It

This goes back to the fact that the harder you make something for some, the more likely they are not to maintain it or stick with it.

As someone once said, "People who succeed are willing to do what other won't."

An Alternative

A diet that provide some of the same benefits as the Ketogenic Diet and requires less effort is Intermittent Fasting.

Nothing to count, prepare or count. You just skip a meal ever once in a while.

What Your Interesting?

With in mind, why are you considering these two diets? What is your objective and what are you willing to do to make it work?

The fact that you are regular on this site and train is a good indication that you have the drive make thing work.

The croissant diet.
2021 off to a good start.

On one hand, don't eat carbs and fat together and avoid foods high in fat and sugar but on the other, just do that.

Brad Schoenfeld, an author who has been quoted here before in various threads, said in a twitter (I know, sorry) exchange....

"No, fasted cardio won't get you lean. There, I just saved you the hassle of drudging out of bed at 6 am to exercise. You're welcome and happy New Year!"

Croissant bollocks and fasting......

Energy balance and don't be poor.

Fat loss and health.

Happy new year???

For those of you following such a diet, if you slip up how long does it take to get back to normal? Can you actually feel the difference from say a slice of cheesecake?
I’m with @Don Fairbanks on this one.
There are def foods that make me feel like crap. Mostly wheat or bread stuff. Doesn’t seem to be so much the extra carbs that get me it’s what the actual food is. I ate about 20pc of sushi the other night and felt fine and the next morning my pee still smelled like buttery popcorn (my telltale sign of ketosis. Lol)

my problem is when I do keto I basically am doing like 90% carnivore and don’t really branch out. To eat a good amount of protein 1g/1lb body weight I don’t want to eat anything else.
I’ll do a keto cookie or something sometimes if I’m really having a craving but the erithrytol just makes me feel all chemically and weird sometimes.
The longer you do it the easier it is to go off course and get back on it. I always just plan carbs around workouts and try to be mindful and do it consciously. I don’t run into much or any junk binging anymore.

As far as feeling good though, the best I ever felt was carnivore + salads every day or two and 16/8 intermittent fasting.
To answer your question though... I could def feel cheesecake. Then I’d beat myself up. Then I’d say “F it, I may as well eat an entire pizza an a pint of ice cream”. It’s more a mental issue with me...

I can definitely tell when i eat sugar near instantly when i am doing keto, i kinda get this warm feeling coursing around. That being said if i do IF these problems seem to resolve themselves rather quickly. If i eat healthy but eat 3 meals a day i feel bloated no matter what i eat

I do IF + low carb diet (mostly because I'm Diabetic and makes overall management easier).

My IF consists in a full 24 hrs fast on mondays (as normally Sundays are a cheat day for me), during the week I keep a 16 hrs fast maybe less..14 hrs, I just skip breakfast and have lunch at around 1230hrs.

I do enter in ketosis with this method (measured ketones in urine) and I feel good, I manage my diabetes and the cheat days make everything easier on the long term, 24hrs fast on mondays are the key for me to get back on track.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom