all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Carries workout feedback requested

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Richard

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi guys just looking for some feedback about a carries workout I'm thinking of doing.
I would be doing these carries as a stand alone program with no other exercises.

You start with a One Arm Waiter Walk on your left side then lower the weight to the rack and keep walking.
Rest
Repeat on your right side.
Rest
Double Farmer Carry.
Rest
This should take 6 mins total per round and you do 5 rounds.
Each Carry is 15 secs at the start and you then add 5 secs at the next workout
add 5 secs at the next workout, then minus 5 secs and repeat.
You continue with this for 15 workouts until you reach 45 secs per carry (obviously inspired by the "One Program")
As your carry time increases, your rest time decreases.
Because the program is only 5 weeks and I prefer large jumps between weights I'm thinking
that I'll go through the program 3 times before increasing the weight.
The first 5 weeks are just standing still supporting the weight
The next 5 weeks are marching in place while supporting the weights
The last 5 weeks are walking across the room while supporting the weights
Then go heavier.

I just like the simplicity of being able to pick up a weight and just walk with it until a timer tells me to stop.
No need to count reps.
I can just focus on keeping my shoulders packed and standing tall.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hello,

@Richard
Sounds quite good and straightforward !

Like everything, a plan can be tailored in function of the goals. Below is a link with different frames in function of the objective on may have:

In addition to that, Dan John wrote several articles about carries. They are in the list below:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Why don't you do the (Gray) Cook Drill?
Timer: start with 5 min, build up to 15. Overhead walk to fail left, continue front rack walk to fail left , continue suitcase walk to fail left, switch arms, same thing until right one fails, switch back until 5 min are over.

Once or twice a week

Timer: start with 5 min, build up to 15. Overhead walk to fail left, continue front rack walk to fail left , continue suitcase walk to fail left, switch arms, same thing until right one fails, switch back until 5 min are over.

Once or twice a week

So you'd be training to failure every workout?
I thought Strongfirst was against that.
My understanding of the Cook drill was that the training to failure was a test.
I could be wrong.

The "failure" in the Cook drill is loss of integrity. Not muscle failure.

What is the goal here? Why train only carries?

Lately I've done sessions alternating swings with a carry, for 10-20 min. I did it for strength endurance using methods I now help my MTB.

So you'd be training to failure every workout?
I thought Strongfirst was against that.
My understanding of the Cook drill was that the training to failure was a test.
I could be wrong.

That's what I meant, but I was to quick with my reaction, sorry :oops::rolleyes:

What is the goal here? Why train only carries?

Lately I've done sessions alternating swings with a carry, for 10-20 min. I did it for strength endurance using methods I now help my MTB.
The goal is to get stronger, leaner with improved work capacity.
The reason I'm doing only carries is to simplify.
Less movements, less equipment, also timed carries means I don't need to count reps.

Once or twice a week
I have been considering doing the suitcase carry instead of the farmer walk.
So it would be:
Waiter - Rack - Suitcase
Rest
Switch hands
Rest
5 X 6 minute rounds.

Hi guys just looking for some feedback about a carries workout I'm thinking of doing.
I would be doing these carries as a stand alone program with no other exercises.

You start with a One Arm Waiter Walk on your left side then lower the weight to the rack and keep walking.
Rest
Repeat on your right side.
Rest
Double Farmer Carry.
Rest
This should take 6 mins total per round and you do 5 rounds.
Each Carry is 15 secs at the start and you then add 5 secs at the next workout
add 5 secs at the next workout, then minus 5 secs and repeat.
You continue with this for 15 workouts until you reach 45 secs per carry (obviously inspired by the "One Program")
As your carry time increases, your rest time decreases.
Because the program is only 5 weeks and I prefer large jumps between weights I'm thinking
that I'll go through the program 3 times before increasing the weight.
The first 5 weeks are just standing still supporting the weight
The next 5 weeks are marching in place while supporting the weights
The last 5 weeks are walking across the room while supporting the weights
Then go heavier.

I just like the simplicity of being able to pick up a weight and just walk with it until a timer tells me to stop.
No need to count reps.
I can just focus on keeping my shoulders packed and standing tall.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
I think that looks like an interesting plan with a well thought out progression. I want to hear about how it goes!
My only feedback/suggestion is that you let it progress organically and take good notes. Don't get too hung up on sticking to all of the numbers you listed above, but rather, be responsive.
Blake Nelson

Perhaps the Eagle by Dan John?
DJ set that as a challenge, not a program. So I adapted it and call it the Peregrine, in honor of a local wildlife refuge. Peregrine falcons hunt other smaller birds, capturing them in mid flight by swooping down on them at 200 mph. Which is as bad a#@ as it gets. Imagine standing trackside and getting hit by a race car . .

Anyway:

Dbl KB FSQ x5
Farmer's Walk

Repeat five times, setting the carry distance appropriately. Don't set the bells down until finished.

Rest a bit, then:

Dbl KB Clean and Press 5-4-3-2-1 Rest as needed.

Clean up and head to the bar. You'll need a cold one in each hand to help your grip. You might want to ask for a sippy cup.

Tangential from the the OP, but someone might like it.

I have had a lot of fun setting a timer for 15-20 minutes depending on how I feel and just walking around outside with a (lighter) kettlebell. I do waiters, rack, suitcase, and goblet squat style carries. However, I'm very loose on the programming. I just do what feels good. It blurs the line between programming and play.

Once or twice a week
I mistakenly did this with double bells and walked back and forth on my property. Double bells are a killer.

Hello,

@Richard
Sounds quite good and straightforward !

Like everything, a plan can be tailored in function of the goals. Below is a link with different frames in function of the objective on may have:

In addition to that, Dan John wrote several articles about carries. They are in the list below:

Kind regards,

Pet'
That Thibaudeau article was good. DJ is the reason why I started doing them, and it's amazing how little time spent on them yields such great results.

The goal is to get stronger, leaner with improved work capacity.
The reason I'm doing only carries is to simplify.
Less movements, less equipment, also timed carries means I don't need to count reps.

If stronger, leaner, improved work capacity are your goals then why would you use a program of only carries. JMO

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom