all posts post new thread

Barbell Carry For Stability

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi I need some advice ...
Some time ago I found articles in which Gray Cook explain value of Carrying of Loads and So I started Interested about this because Dan John also few much says about carrying a weight...

My training consisted of:
-Deadlifth and Military Press Ladder or just triples Easy strenght for heawy-medium-light and some A+A protocol Easy...

I feel for years that Iam stronger than stable for example I doing TGU with 40 or 44kg but I dont feel comfortable with weight over my head and also in snatch and so...

-How I can put Carring to my program?
Which type of carring is good for Gpp as a suplental component to my training (rack,overhead,neside body,one hand)

My goal now is gain weight and of course strenght lot of strenght

As @Al Ciampa has said in the past, or at least how I remember it, use Carrie's like a spice not a main course. I'm sure @Anna C can verbalize this more eloquently.

For myself and my firefighters we do Carrie's once a week as part of 3-5 station partner circuit with recovery runs. My firefighters now lovingly refer to that day as "Karl's pickup heavy stuff and move it day", although they don't use the word stuff. Generally they have to rack carry or overhead carry while their partner farmer/suitcase Carrie's. They will frequently have to bear hug or zercher carry a sandbag while someone else is stepping up with weight.

I cannot say I have notice them getting bigger, but stronger yes. Improved upright postures, and improved work capacity in the wildland firefighting environment.

Just my observations.

As @Al Ciampa has said in the past, or at least how I remember it, use Carrie's like a spice not a main course. I'm sure @Anna C can verbalize this more eloquently.

For myself and my firefighters we do Carrie's once a week as part of 3-5 station partner circuit with recovery runs. My firefighters now lovingly refer to that day as "Karl's pickup heavy stuff and move it day", although they don't use the word stuff. Generally they have to rack carry or overhead carry while their partner farmer/suitcase Carrie's. They will frequently have to bear hug or zercher carry a sandbag while someone else is stepping up with weight.

I cannot say I have notice them getting bigger, but stronger yes. Improved upright postures, and improved work capacity in the wildland firefighting environment.

Just my observations.

Thanks Man.

You are a Firefighter Captain?
Iam work in armed forces and few times to year we have joint training and its really seen that firefighters are in really good shape in general....

After some time I realized that I need strengthen my shoulders because I often need pick up weight over my head in my work and of course Deadlifth from pick up heawy stuff from ground....

Can you give me some more advices about yours programming?Are you use some periodization?
What Barbell work looks like or some balistic exercises ?

Thankyou...

I have done some of farmer's walks with one hand or both, zercher carries or yoke walks every week. They're all great. I think the yoke walk is the most demanding one out of them by far and the one I would recommend last. I like to add them as the last exercise of the day a couple of times a week, especially before a rest day. I also think they can work really well as the main exercise or as standalone exercise of the day.

For what it's worth, the big three and their accessories have had great carryover to the carries.

I think 3-5 demanding sets is a good amount for a day. Just like with everything else.

From my personal experiences of years of training I can says that basic Barbell exercises are very helpful for General Strenght for rescue and armed forces....

I know some peaople who are really fanatic in "functional exercises"9
(Kettlbell,TRX,Bands)
But in real life they are useful no doubt.....

I will started Basic Barbell training and I built up some basic strenght(Deadlifth 2,3xBW,2xBW Squat)Then I became a fan of Kettlbell and For years I train S&S (36-40kg) but After some time I really lost lot of muscle...Last few years I did A+A
protocol with little bit Barbell work Easy strenght...

if anyone has experience with training for government departments?
Or just Experiences and advices ...
Everything is count...

Thankyou

I do some sort of carry toward the end of my workouts. I vary how much based on how I feel. If I feel great, I’ll do some extra work. If I’m tired, I just do something simple and get out. I usually do a farmer’s walk, but I also like a mixed carry with one weight in the rack position.

For me, carries have the biggest WTH effect. I didn’t expect them to do much, but for my main sport of MTB, they’ve been amazing. I am both more mobile and stable on the bike when the going gets technical. Definitely worth the funny looks I get in the gym!

Also, carries are great core training for those who hate that term, “core.” Every step demands all the little stabilizer muscles to get it right. No need to worry about technique, just keep good posture and let your body figure it out. Training options abound by manipulating the load and time. Go heavier and short, go lighter and long, and everything in between. It’s all good.

@Patrik Novák I am not sure how much Carrie's improve overhead strength. They probably do not hurt it but your probably not going to make big over head gains.

I am a battalion chief so not much of a ground pounder anymore as much as I wish I still was. To clarify more we do Carrie's at least once a week for, as @vegpedlr, for core strength and stability for the environment we work in.

I am not a trainer! This is what I have found to work for me and my wildland firefighters. Two days of Long Slow Distance(weighted hikes on terrain, noise breath pace runs). Two days of partner circuit's, body weight or weighted, always with a 200m recovery run in between. One day of high intensity short duration(phone pole sprints, hill sprints, hose pull sprints, tire drag sprints). Generally the sprints are in that 10-20 sec time. Occassionally I make them longer, 45-60 sec, for mental toughness exercises.

This caters to our long shifts of aerobic work, carrying 20-70 lbs on your back, on terrain.

@Patrik Novák I am not sure how much Carrie's improve overhead strength. They probably do not hurt it but your probably not going to make big over head gains.

I am a battalion chief so not much of a ground pounder anymore as much as I wish I still was. To clarify more we do Carrie's at least once a week for, as @vegpedlr, for core strength and stability for the environment we work in.

I am not a trainer! This is what I have found to work for me and my wildland firefighters. Two days of Long Slow Distance(weighted hikes on terrain, noise breath pace runs). Two days of partner circuit's, body weight or weighted, always with a 200m recovery run in between. One day of high intensity short duration(phone pole sprints, hill sprints, hose pull sprints, tire drag sprints). Generally the sprints are in that 10-20 sec time. Occassionally I make them longer, 45-60 sec, for mental toughness exercises.

This caters to our long shifts of aerobic work, carrying 20-70 lbs on your back, on terrain.

Thanks Yes Its makes sense...
probably just get rid of strength training from sauces and it's ....

Mondays are overhead sandbag carries... I can only do about 1 minute with a 100lbs bag or slightly under...

Wednesday, shoulder carries with my 120lbs sandbag and my 55lbs kettlebell in other hand, then i switch to lighter one in racked position..... Then I do bear hug finishers..

Friday, its farmer carries and bottoms up kettlebell carries.

Carries are very important.

Thanks Yes I think so ...but my point is How put carries to programs...

Maybe after Barbell deadlifth/Zercher squat but how much sets ?...

Looks like yall just gave me the best option to start using my beast!! Shorts single hand farmers walks! And build the time and distance!!

Any type of carry is good. If you're doing them for a specific purpose like overhead stability, it would make sense to use the overhead position but that doesn't mean other types won't help with other general strength purpose like core rigidity, grip strength, torso positioning. You can use them in many ways. A warmup, a filler, a "finisher", a primer, endurance. It doesn't have to be complicated. Sometimes as a primer/practice/mobility check before presses, I'll just hold a 45 above my head when walking from the weight stacks to the bar. If you're doing them specifically for O.H. stability, then various overhead carries are at your disposal.

If you're going to do overhead carries then do not put them at the end. Overhead carries should be done when you are relatively fresh, otherwise you may lose form and injure your shoulder or head.

Personally, I love one arm kettlebell waiter's walks. They are great for my shoulders. I do them for time rather than distance and I stop once my form starts to break down.

I knew I shouldn't have commented on this post. I had a little over 50 farmers carry a little over 50 yards each toting 8" cemet blocks. Felt great! I even jogged back to the block pile!! Fun day in 87 degrees!!

Named for Gray Cook, start with a waiter’s walk, when you integrity, lower the bell to thebrack position and keep going, when you lose integrity there, lower the bell for a suitcase carry to finish. Using a light weight makes for a good warm up, waking up the body to stay tight and be ready.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom